Samsung Tab A 10.1 tablet. Mini review

Bristolfashion

Visit site
These tablets are currently on sale at £159 from various stores (John Lewis, Currys, Argos). I'm always on the lookout for cheaper items to use on the boat as Neptune gets them all in the end.

I have tested it with Navionics, the VMH raster charts, windy, predict wind and linked to the onboard AIS. It also works well for TV streaming. Paired with a case that includes Bluetooth keyboard and a SD card, it makes a pretty good onboard substitute for a laptop - and at under £200.

I'm rather impressed with Android 9.0 and believe this one will get the android 10.0 upgrade.

The screen size makes using charts easier. I got the gold case - easier to distinguish from the other black slabs lying around.

I also use it with a small Bluetooth external speaker which gives a good sound & volume for films, TV and music. Onboard sound is ok.

It uses usb C charging which would also allow connection of a mouse, external storage and/or data transfer. It comes with a lead & charger and, rather than buy spare usb C leads, I bought a 3 pack of micro USB USB C adaptors to reuse all those existing leads.

As I have found with other Samsung products, the performance is better than expected from the raw specifications.

Tablet : Samsung Tab A 10.1. £159

SD card : SanDisk ultra 64GB (takes up to 512GB). £11.69

Case/keyboard : Jelly comb no brand from Amazon, £25.89

Speaker : Anker soundcore 2 Bluetooth. £39.99

Usb C to micro usb adaptor : Ailun 3 pack, £3.99

No affiliation, just thought I'd share my experience.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
These tablets are currently on sale at £159 from various stores (John Lewis, Currys, Argos). I'm always on the lookout for cheaper items to use on the boat as Neptune gets them all in the end.

I have tested it with Navionics, the VMH raster charts, windy, predict wind and linked to the onboard AIS. It also works well for TV streaming. Paired with a case that includes Bluetooth keyboard and a SD card, it makes a pretty good onboard substitute for a laptop - and at under £200.

I'm rather impressed with Android 9.0 and believe this one will get the android 10.0 upgrade.

The screen size makes using charts easier. I got the gold case - easier to distinguish from the other black slabs lying around.

I also use it with a small Bluetooth external speaker which gives a good sound & volume for films, TV and music. Onboard sound is ok.

It uses usb C charging which would also allow connection of a mouse, external storage and/or data transfer. It comes with a lead & charger and, rather than buy spare usb C leads, I bought a 3 pack of micro USB USB C adaptors to reuse all those existing leads.

As I have found with other Samsung products, the performance is better than expected from the raw specifications.

Just to add, it has GPS, but no compass sensor.

STATUE

Visit site

Got one, or at least its predecessor, and am think of trading up to 10.1, which will have twice the capacity of the current . For sailing purposes they are robust.

Quandary

Visit site
I bought a Tab A about a year go, in Milton Keynes, I was surprised to find that the deal I got from the Samsung shop was better than John Lewis across the mall.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Whatever you do don't buy a Tab S5e. Its a lovely tablet with good sound but they screwed up the WiFi aerials. There are just two, one each side. It's bad news, constantly loses signal.

I've just upgraded to the Tab S6 where they went back to four aerials & its fixed the problem. Excellent tablet.

I agree about buying direct from Samsung UK, they always do trade ins which helps.

[163233]

Visit site
OK, I like mine but some negatives.. The screen isn't as bright as some, my old nexus was brighter, no compass but tablet compasses tend to be abit rubbish anyway, big problem it overheats easily if it's in a bag of any sort which may be less of a problem in the uk. This means it has to be uncovered on the boat which isn't ideal.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
OK, I like mine but some negatives.. The screen isn't as bright as some, my old nexus was brighter, no compass but tablet compasses tend to be abit rubbish anyway, big problem it overheats easily if it's in a bag of any sort which may be less of a problem in the uk. This means it has to be uncovered on the boat which isn't ideal.

It's pretty hot here and we've not had this problem with our two tablet As in 2 - 3 years use, both have covers.

Sharky34

Visit site
I bought a Tab A about a year go, in Milton Keynes, I was surprised to find that the deal I got from the Samsung shop was better than John Lewis across the mall.
Didn't Peter Jones own them?
There was one in Bournemouth giving free tech support/teach ins, but it closed down.

GHA

Visit site
It's pretty hot here and we've not had this problem with our two tablet As in 2 - 3 years use, both have covers.
Mine will start to shut down apps if left in the sun, but nearly too hot to touch by the time that happens. Day to day use not sitting in direct sun overheating hasn't been a problem. Great tablets for the price :cool:

bluerm166

Visit site
Mount it up under the sprayhood out of the sun ,glare as well as spray.This is a Samsung 10.1 .A great improvement in accessibility and no longer overheats.This a cheap chinese bracket which needs a simple lower stop to prevent slump at full extension but does the job .
IMG_20200822_123619622_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Bought a Tab A on eBay a couple of months ago.
Very impressed with it.
Links up to my B7G kit without problems.
Battery life is also quite good.
As mentioned above, screen brightness could be a bit better.
All in all, a big improvement over the Sony Xperia tablet it replaced.

Lightwave395

Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition which is now 5+ years old, As well as using it for watching movies, email and general stuff when cruising I use it as back up to my E90W on the boat and in the cockpit when I'm in a more risky area. It works a treat, always has, I use the 'Marine navigator' app with charts from visit my harbour. It had recently started playing up a little but I've just replaced the battery and its back working as new again.
I'm definitely a fan of Samsung, I kept mine when I sold my business three years ago, the other ten I owned that were used by the staff went with the sale, the only issues ever with a couple of them was the well known 'black screen' problem that was easy to fix.

stevebrassett

Visit site
I have a Tab A, and am very pleased with it. Don't waste your money on the Samsung case. It is about £50, and mine is breaking up after only about a year.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
If you want to mount a Tab-A .. or any tablet ... at the chart table, buy a cheap clip in case, cut the front flap off, stiffen the back with aluminium sheet or plastic and screw it to the wall with countersunk screws.

Works a treat and can still be clipped in and out or put in another case for use elsewhere.

Unbenannt.JPG