SAILRITE CLONE

PMH

Visit site
I am think of buying one of the alibaba ones ...

Anyone interested in a bulk buy/sharing shipping?

Hi, I am interested in buying one but isn't that a 120V machine? Have you placed your order? If yes, could you please comment about the experience and the machine it self? Any body else interested on buying?
Could someone explain a bit more about declaring duty?
Excellent post, thank you.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've been using a Singer 20U for several years now - it's classed as an industrial machine and will sew several layers of acrylic canvas easily, also about 6 layers of sailcloth. It is very fast(2 pole motor) so slowed it down with a much smaller drive pulley.
I've just acquired a domestic Singer 320K which is excellent, will sew several layers of acrylic canvas, both zig-zag, straight and triple zig-zag. It has an odd needle size and only size 12 and 14 needles easily available BUT a DB-1 industrial needle fits exactly except you have to align it correctly as it has a round shank. If anyone is interested I have a Singer 357k which also sows several layers of acrylic and uses standard domestic needles, pm me if interested.

andypag

Visit site
Thanks for the detailed review. I've been convinced for sometime that the clone machines are maybe made with a little less oversight on quality, but I've finally come to doubt it. Sailrite give you aftersales service but if you're on the move, then I bet that becomes hard to take advantage of.

The thing that really put me off sailrite is the $5000 rolex the guy wears in the instructional videos. Didn't see that on the Alibaba listing and I suspect that's the cause
For several year now, I have been repairing canvas on my boat with a Singer 201K machine. It can be coaxed to cope with all but heavy sewing, but coaxed is the operative word.
Reading posts here at various times, I decided to investigate a 'proper' canvas sewing machine.
First up was a Sailrite, which I used for a few days about five years ago, and was very impressed. However, looking at the costs landed in UK, these worked out at $1095, plus $185 for shipping. On top of that add 20% VAT and import duty at 1.5% gives a total of $1559, which a couple of weeks ago was £1350 which was way, way over my budget.
So I had a look at all the alternative clones that were available.
I registered for alibaba.com, and searched there and found several sources but eventually settled on the listing below:

9" Sail Rite Walking Foot Zig Zag Sewing Machine For Home Use - Buy Walking Foot Sewing Machine,Foot Operated Sewing Machine,Walking Foot White Sewing Machine Product on Alibaba.com

The total for the machine, the large balance wheel, and a wooden box came to $670, which I paid through Alibaba, which guarantees payment, and have a return policy.
So the $670 was assessed at £637 and duty and vat came to £137, a total of £774. I then waited for a week in deep trepidation.
Two boxes arrived by FedEx, and both were very well packed, with the sewing machine and balance wheel in a wooden box. Having read some warnings and horror stories I set up the machine, and on initial inspection was pleased. It looked identical in every way to the Sailrite I had used before.
Reading a post here, I opened up the top end to liberally oil and 'run in' for a day before use. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was liberal amounts of oil already there. I checked underneath, and the same there. I also had a close look, and the quality of the castings, the linkages, the walking foot setup were all of good quality, without a pressed steel fitting in sight.
The machine came with some thread on the bobbin, and a length through the upper tension unit, with a small test piece which had been test sewn. I loaded new thread, and did some sewing and was pleasantly surprised that it worked straight from the box.
I have attached some pics of the box (pretty good quality), the machine itself, and some test sewing - the thick multilayer on the left is eight layers of sunbrlla, and it sailed through it.
The machine I received is pretty much identical to the Sailrite I used five years ago - identical in fact. Nowadays, Sailrite have some improvements - the stitch length plate is improved, and there is a pin to give direct drive without the clutch, but the wheel I bought has an allen screw that can be screwed down to give full drive.
With the large balance wheel, the speed is quite slow, which suits me as I am not a great machinist. It is easy to 'rock' the machine back and forward, a half stitch at a time which is ideal for corners. The large balance wheel comes with a handle for use if there is no power.
So, the machine I received is everything I had hoped it would be. If it had been rubbish, it would have cost me around £150 to return to China for a refund.
Now, I have started a big job - remaking a complete sailcover with lazyjacks, sprayhood and cockpit cover using the original tattered covers as patterns, so the machine will have paid for itself a couple of times when I am finished.

View attachment 87535
View attachment 87536
View attachment 87539
Thanks for the detailed review. All these machines are made in China, and Sailrite probably invest in design development where the clones just copy them. and I suspected for sometime that the clone machines were made with a little less oversight on quality, but I've finally come to doubt that. It sounds like Sailrite give you aftersales service but if you're on the move, then I bet that becomes hard to take advantage of.

The thing that really put me off sailrite is the $5000 rolex the guy wears in the instructional videos. Didn't see that on the Alibaba listing and I suspect that's the cause of the price difference. That, and shipping via the US Sailrite warehouse, and having 2 layers of distributors between the customer and the factory.

One question for you: Did the alibaba one come with a magnetic guide? Light? Is it 110v or 220v? Thanks

I'm interested in joining together for a bulk order on a long arm version. Please DM me.

PMH

Visit site
One question for you: Did the alibaba one come with a magnetic guide? Light? Is it 110v or 220v? Thanks

I'm interested in joining together for a bulk order on a long arm version. Please DM me.
[/QUOTE]

Hi andypag,

I believe they have both 110v and 220v.
So at the moment we are just two and I have never order big objects from China so I don't know how it works...
Anybody else interested?

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
I am just catching up on this thread, as I have a Sailrite. I was looking for an idea of what they now sell for, only to find out that Solent Sew don't list them any more. I'm thinking of selling mine, as I'm no longer cruising. but have no idea what to ask for it. Ebay recent ones have been around 650-700 as far as I could see.. have any of you been keeping an eye on what they go for?

steve1963

Visit site
A clone of a chinese made machine ? I have to ask why when for less money than a sailrite one could buy a used industrial bernina, pfaff, juki , brother etc?
Except that you can't. Try finding a used juki,pfaff, brother etc, that is heavy duty, has zigzag and walking foot. They hardly ever come up, and when they do, they are very expensive

Billyo

Visit site
Although not completely relevant to this discussion, I thought I'd get a sailrite clone as, like everyone else, I didnt want to shell out for the sailrite and bought a rex 601.
It lasted 2 years on the boat before the innards became so rusted that I binned it. I'm now saving for a sailrite to replace it.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Although not completely relevant to this discussion, I thought I'd get a sailrite clone as, like everyone else, I didnt want to shell out for the sailrite and bought a rex 601.
It lasted 2 years on the boat before the innards became so rusted that I binned it. I'm now saving for a sailrite to replace it.

Even the Sailrite needs oiling from time to time.

steve1963

Visit site
I am just catching up on this thread, as I have a Sailrite. I was looking for an idea of what they now sell for, only to find out that Solent Sew don't list them any more. I'm thinking of selling mine, as I'm no longer cruising. but have no idea what to ask for it. Ebay recent ones have been around 650-700 as far as I could see.. have any of you been keeping an eye on what they go for?
You want your cake and to eat it... lol Of course a full blown industrial doing all that is going to be expensive.. but i also see any industrial seems to have rocketed in price...
Umm..isn't that exactly what I said? It was in reply to yourself, who, in your original post, said exactly the opposite

steve1963

Visit site
For several year now, I have been repairing canvas on my boat with a Singer 201K machine. It can be coaxed to cope with all but heavy sewing, but coaxed is the operative word.
Reading posts here at various times, I decided to investigate a 'proper' canvas sewing machine.
First up was a Sailrite, which I used for a few days about five years ago, and was very impressed. However, looking at the costs landed in UK, these worked out at $1095, plus $185 for shipping. On top of that add 20% VAT and import duty at 1.5% gives a total of $1559, which a couple of weeks ago was £1350 which was way, way over my budget.
I registered for alibaba.com, and searched there and found several sources but eventually settled on the listing below:

9" Sail Rite Walking Foot Zig Zag Sewing Machine For Home Use - Buy Walking Foot Sewing Machine,Foot Operated Sewing Machine,Walking Foot White Sewing Machine Product on Alibaba.com

The total for the machine, the large balance wheel, and a wooden box came to $670, which I paid through Alibaba, which guarantees payment, and have a return policy.
So the $670 was assessed at £637 and duty and vat came to £137, a total of £774. I then waited for a week in deep trepidation.
Two boxes arrived by FedEx, and both were very well packed, with the sewing machine and balance wheel in a wooden box. Having read some warnings and horror stories I set up the machine, and on initial inspection was pleased. It looked identical in every way to the Sailrite I had used before.
Reading a post here, I opened up the top end to liberally oil and 'run in' for a day before use. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was liberal amounts of oil already there. I checked underneath, and the same there. I also had a close look, and the quality of the castings, the linkages, the walking foot setup were all of good quality, without a pressed steel fitting in sight.
The machine came with some thread on the bobbin, and a length through the upper tension unit, with a small test piece which had been test sewn. I loaded new thread, and did some sewing and was pleasantly surprised that it worked straight from the box.
I have attached some pics of the box (pretty good quality), the machine itself, and some test sewing - the thick multilayer on the left is eight layers of sunbrlla, and it sailed through it.
The machine I received is pretty much identical to the Sailrite I used five years ago - identical in fact. Nowadays, Sailrite have some improvements - the stitch length plate is improved, and there is a pin to give direct drive without the clutch, but the wheel I bought has an allen screw that can be screwed down to give full drive.
With the large balance wheel, the speed is quite slow, which suits me as I am not a great machinist. It is easy to 'rock' the machine back and forward, a half stitch at a time which is ideal for corners. The large balance wheel comes with a handle for use if there is no power.
So, the machine I received is everything I had hoped it would be. If it had been rubbish, it would have cost me around £150 to return to China for a refund.
Now, I have started a big job - remaking a complete sailcover with lazyjacks, sprayhood and cockpit cover using the original tattered covers as patterns, so the machine will have paid for itself a couple of times when I am finished.

View attachment 87535
View attachment 87536
View attachment 87539
Will the machine sew with a VP96 thread?

fredrussell

Visit site
The link for the Chinese Sailrite clone comes up at £190 or so on the Alibaba site. How does this become the £700 or so the OP quotes? Postage and import duties?

Also, where is the straight/zig-zag adjustment on that machine? Is it the 0-5 lever?

steve1963

Visit site
The link for the Chinese Sailrite clone comes up at £190 or so on the Alibaba site. How does this become the £700 or so the OP quotes? Postage and import duties?

Also, where is the straight/zig-zag adjustment on that machine? Is it the 0-5 lever?
He also bought a box, and the large wheel. Shipping is usually about 100, I think, and then you have to pay VAT on the whole lot (inc shipping and import duties).

Anyone know what rate of duty is applied for sewing machines?

steve1963

Visit site

View attachment 87535
View attachment 87536
View attachment 87539
Many thanks for this excellent post. Very timely, too, as I am in search of a machine.

What was the rate of duty that you had to pay?

steve1963

Visit site
For the price around £750 there are a few branded industrials on ebay.
Walking foot and zigzag.
Even a new one BRAND NEW WALKING FOOT INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINE ?INTRODUCTORY PRICE? | eBay
The machine you linked to looks nice, but is not zig zag. The machines on e-bay that are both walking foot and zig zag are the same machines from china that the OP is talking about. If you buy these from e-bay, you still (I think) have the problems of shipping and importation, and it looks as if it would be more expensive than buying direct from Alibaba.

Can you give us some links to used industrials walking foot and zigzag for less that 800, because I am very interested

Rappey

Visit site
The machine you linked to looks nice, but is not zig zag.
My apologys. I searched zig zag walking foot industrial and only had a quick look.
Walking foot and zig zag seems non existent.
There are a few industrial zigzag/straight stitch machines around £750 mark on ebay (honestly?)
Is walking foot really essential ? I've sewn extremely thick sail material with layers of webbing, up to 10mm thick without a walking foot and never really had any problems.
The double sided fabric tape holds everything in place.
There are a lot of "semi industrial" on ebay.
Some articles suggest there is no such thing.
It's either got a motor under the table , industrial
Or built onto the machine, domestic.
Old domestic machines were solidly built with all metal parts so nowadays that seems to qualify as semi industrial ?
I changed my huge and heavy clutch motor for a chinese digital one.
It's absolutely tiny yet more powerful and superb for dialing down the sewing speed..
A superb modification . If you can fit it under the presser foot the digital motor even on snail speed effortlessly punches the needle through .

Rappey

Visit site
One more thing to try (it's where I got my machine) is sewing machine repair guys.
Many know where to get them, have a few or often come across them in their work .
Their prices are a lot better than ebay .

fearmhuir

Visit site
Apologies all - I wasn't monitoring my inbox very well recently! This is the OP here.
The machine I bought had zig-zag plus it had a 9-inch opening as against only 7 inches in a lot of the cheaper offerings on eBay and also Alibaba. This extra space is quite valuable for coping with bigger items rolled up under the arm.
I also added a big flywheel, and a carrying case.
I also declared the full cost of these items, plus the carriage and paid duty on that. The supplier attached an 'Invoice' on the packing stating that the total cost was only 110 US Dollars - I assume I could have used this invoice for the valuation and saved some money, but not sure if customs would buy that?
So far it has been an excellent buy. I replaced a couple of windows in a cockpit tent, and restitched the entire sailcover and fitted a new zip so far.
More serious projects are planned for this winter.