Sailor Rage

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Over this past weekend there have been some pretty stiff posts and some astute observations about sailor rage

there do seem to be quite a few sailors around who get pretty angry

as a keen observer of those around me I think that there are quite a lot of poeple who find sailing rather stressful

the bigger the boat the more stressed people seem to get

It must be horrible sail with them

what happened to tradition British phlegm

why does this happen

and

why don't they either start sailing a tinker tramp where the opportunities for damage are almost zero

or

go off and find another hobby

guuinea pig breeding would seem to be a fairly sensible place to start

Dylan

Last edited:

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Over this past weekend there have been some pretty stiff posts and some astute observations about sailor rage

as a keen observer of those around me I think that there are quite a lot of poeple who find sailing rather stressful

what happened to tradition British phlegm

why does this happen

and

why don't they either start sailing a tinker tramp where the opportunities for damage are almost zero

or

go off and find another hobby

guuinea pig breeding would seem to be a fairly sensible place to start

Dylan

Well said.

I think the forum is at one of its most aggressive phases right now, perhaps due to the weather and the economy? :confused:

dylanwinter

subjective comment obviously

Not my experience. I've seen no correllation with size of boat / stress levels. More with experience / stress levels.

perhaps blokes on bigger boats have more people to shout at and further to shout

maybe they get used to living their lives at a higher pitch

the only time I ever shout is when I drop stuff overboard

keys, tools, outboard kill chords, my favourite torch - and then there was the camera incident

makes me sad just to think of it and I am not willing to talk it over with anyone

save it for the book
Dylan

Last edited:

stevebrassett

Visit site
guinea pig breeding would seem to be a fairly sensible place to start
You're joking, aren't you?? Think of the stress involved - will the girls like the boys? How many babies will be born? Have I got the room? How will I sell them? Seems like a nightmare to me.

Sailing is much less stressful.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
You're joking, aren't you?? Think of the stress involved - will the girls like the boys? How many babies will be born? Have I got the room? How will I sell them? Seems like a nightmare to me.

Sailing is much less stressful.

My brother's mother-in-law volunteered to look after my nieces two guinea pigs whilst my brother and his family were away on holiday.

Both guinea pigs fell on their swords before the nieces returned. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued.

Moral: guinea pigs........who needs 'em!

Richard

Evadne

Visit site
In my experience the most stressed crew/skipper are to be found on the small(er), shiny & new AWB.

I know people often go on about how bad the Solent is but generally I find people quite polite and well behaved, even in the crowded spots. My contretemps have been limited to people who didn't want me tying alongside 'cos they were going at 5am, or because they thought we were too big (usually from boats that are the same size but higher freeboard). The only really angry twats are one or three dinghy racers in Chichester harbour, who seem to have their minds and attitudes back on the M3. I just ignore them, they are usually losers in the literal sense as well, but I admit it can sour an otherwise pleasant day.

ChattingLil

Visit site

:) what do you call your reaction to mobos and jet skiers?!

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site

Dylan

I think the problem is that you are still stuck on the east coast. I sail mainly on the south coast and strangely perhaps have only seen two angry sailors in the last ten years.

The first was a purple speedboat owner shouting at his daughter for some unknown reason whilst the poor girl was trying to tie his horrible boat to a pontoon.

The second was a fishing charter skipper who thought he should be allowed to go at ten knots across Yarmouth Harbour so as to beat everyone else to the fuel pumps.

Both got short grift from all in earshot.

The solution to your problem is to quickly round the top of the country so you can meet up with some nice gentle jocks.

colingr

Visit site
Have you noticed that it's the saily types who get stressed out at so much. Us moboers tend to be pretty laid back :) :rolleyes:

(There really should be a tongue in cheek smiley)

colingr

Visit site
Can inflict a nasty nip, those guinea pigs.

So can hamsters! We had a dwarf hamster that was basically unapproachable. If it could it would have gone for the throat. In the end it ate its mate and was handed back to the pet shop as to vicious to keep as a pet. Little git that it was :mad:

Boomshanka

Visit site
My brother's mother-in-law volunteered to look after my nieces two guinea pigs whilst my brother and his family were away on holiday.

Both guinea pigs fell on their swords before the nieces returned. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued.

Moral: guinea pigs........who needs 'em!

Richard

I was on a training boat once, swapping yarns and one guy told how he had a Springer Spaniel which appeared at the back door with their neighbour's guinea pig in it's jaws. The guinea pig was obviously dead and so now he had a dilemma... what to tell the neighbours. He then realised that the neighbours were away for the weekend and so set about cleaning the guinea pig up and went next door to put it in its hutch on a pile of fresh straw, giving the impression that it had conked out naturally. The following day the neighbours came round and mentioned that the guinea pig had died... 'oh, how sad' said the guy... 'yes' said the neighbour, 'but the really weird thing is that it died on Thursday and we buried it in the garden, when we got back this morning it was back in it's cage without a spot of mud on it' :D

dylanwinter

actually

Have you noticed that it's the saily types who get stressed out at so much. Us moboers tend to be pretty laid back :) :rolleyes:

(There really should be a tongue in cheek smiley)

what you say is probably true

I think moboers understand the importance of cockpit time - just sitting in the back of your boat hanging from a hook

perhaps us sailors should look more and travel less

Dylan

dylanwinter

Stuck.....

I think the problem is that you are still stuck on the east coast. I sail mainly on the south coast and strangely perhaps have only seen two angry sailors in the last ten years.

The first was a purple speedboat owner shouting at his daughter for some unknown reason whilst the poor girl was trying to tie his horrible boat to a pontoon.

The second was a fishing charter skipper who thought he should be allowed to go at ten knots across Yarmouth Harbour so as to beat everyone else to the fuel pumps.

Both got short grift from all in earshot.

The solution to your problem is to quickly round the top of the country so you can meet up with some nice gentle jocks.

Stuck.

what a strange word when used in connection with sailing

never feels that way

while on the subject of failing to understand the ethos of KTL..............

one bloke emailed me on the eventual departure of the slug from KTL and he said he liked the mismatched sails....

I never thought of them as mismatched - rather stylish I thought

when we sailed GP 14s my mum and dad alweays bought us coloured genoas so that they could tell if we were in the lead or not

I thought a different coloured genoa looks rather nice

amazingly the recent reports of high blood pressure sailors on these forums have been some distance from Wells where I am "stuck"

it is wonderful fun being "stuck"

yours

deluded of Botolph Claydon

PS

- if you are in a hurry to see films about sailing right around the UK

may I refer you to this most excellent youtube series

http://www.youtube.com/user/Peter8200N

there is also this

http://taketworibs.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:

tom_sail

Visit site
I find I get stressed about other stessed boaters.

I hate marinas, in fact I hate them so much I have only been into one once in two years to re-fuel.

Manoeuvring a MAB round pristine, shiny boats in a Marina seems to get every man and his dog stressed, fenders and boat hooks out on guard.

The captain Ron method seems to make people even more nervous!