Sailing to the Azores

Bobc

Visit site
Yes. A lovely place to visit, especially Terceira. Go in May and come back in September.

prv

Visit site
Further west the better, I would have thought, so Ireland even better than the traditional (for English sailors) departure point of Falmouth.

Pete

dk

Visit site
If it's just the sailing you want you could do the AZAB race, but not if you want time to cruise around when you get there.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You could start from Bradwell if you wanted to. Come to that Grimsby would be good place to start, because after Grimsby anywhere would seem like paradise.:nonchalance:

Never done grimsby , but personally I think the East coast is a great place to sail some lovely rivers I sailed 20 years in that area and never got bored at one time or another I had mooring in every river ,
one of the thing I miss from being away from the UK .
Going back to the OQ , yes I would say it was , another place to consider is northern Spain and the rais ,

Siosarnoir

Visit site
I did this trip from Plymouth 6 years ago but the worst seas can be close to Cap Finnistere NW Spain so getting as far west as possible is a good plan . On our way home we considered putting in to La Coruna but the weather was worse around Finnisterre so in the end we kept out 250 miles from NW Spain. We also loved Terceira , Pria de Vitoria has a good Marina which is also very good value ( 6 euros per night in 2011 ) We arrived in May and left in late July visiting all the middle group of Islands and then back to Ponta del Gada to collect the crew for the return home.

macd

Visit site
Not sure I'd take the option of sailing to the Azores from Falmouth, via Ireland.

Good job he didn't suggest anyone did so, then. That said, Cork (or thereabouts) is still occasionally suggested by traditionalists as a preferred departure point even for La Corunna.

To the OP: the Azores are a jewel. It's almost a cliché that the biggest regret of sailing visitors to the archipeligo (typically returning from the New World) is that they didn't allow long enough to explore them. Would the wife see the humour in the Oates quote?

Peroo

Visit site
To the OP: take your time in the Azores - wonderful people, great sailing and worth spending as much time as you can allow.

4th visit earlier this year.

If you can get to Terceira when the festival is on, with bull running and partying until the early hours, you may wonder why you've not been this way before!

Enjoy.

zoidberg

Visit site
Should you care to, leave from Plymouth, turn half right at the end, and go to Baltimore, Co. Cork. Pick up a mooring there and a Guinness - no, a Murphys! - then head back out westerly passing the Fastnet Light, and head for The Azores as you intended. Once there, you'll have achieved effectively 'Two Jesters' in one.

You'll benefit from being further west before dropping over the horizon and the continental shelf.