Sailing to Madeira checking in/anchorages

Visit site
Headed to Madeira soon.

So far other than DEKPA, I've not had any dealings with authorities in terms of checking in/out of EU countries. Noonesite seems to suggest that all EU boats must contact customs at the first port of arrival. It doesn't say how, or if a typical style checkin is required where one flies a Q flag and the Captain goes off and checks the crew in.

Anyone know what the procedure is? I'll be travelling with Portuguese nationals, but presumably the procedure would be the same for any EU nation citizens.

Secondly, does anyone have any experience of few anchorages that are about? The marina prices make places like Bonnifacio look cheap.

www.gallantspirit.com
Hi I just left Maderia last month , it is easy to get a berth in Quinta de Lorde although pricey, I was not able to get a berth in Funchal for 15m at all.
in Porto Santo you can berth for 15m 45€ night or 120€ week or also amazingly 140€ a month, you can also anchor out in harbour or take a mooring at half those rates. there is not much shelter in winter though but good hard standing up to max 4.5m beam, no need for Q flag unless arriving from outside Europe
the marinas are fantastically friendly and all the paperwork is easy, Porto Santo has a 2 stage checkin with customs but the offices are in the marina building. Top up with Diesel in Porto Santo as it can be difficult in Maderia, all in all an amazingly friendly island group.
there is a daily ferry and flights between the islands that are good for crewchanges

Last edited:
Visit site
Thanks, though I don't plan on visiting a marina if I can help it. Portugal doesn't like Catamarans even tiny ones like mine.

So I have to take myself to customs, I presume they have a dock? If not then by dinghy.

I was keen to know about possible anchorages. I know about people's experiences in the few anchorages around.

www.gallantspirit.com
I know the feeling , just note that Porto Santo and Maderia are separate clearances, you can anchor on the outside of the Marina there for free , but it is really cheap inside if you are a smaller boat, if i remember correctly the police will come and visit you by boat if you anchor, not sure if it is like the rest of Portugal where you must request permission before dropping anchor or face being fined, actually i just checked my charts and you do but you just radio a harbour authority and ask before and then you are clear.

greeny

Visit site
I know the feeling , just note that Porto Santo and Maderia are separate clearances, you can anchor on the outside of the Marina there for free , but it is really cheap inside if you are a smaller boat, if i remember correctly the police will come and visit you by boat if you anchor, not sure if it is like the rest of Portugal where you must request permission before dropping anchor or face being fined, actually i just checked my charts and you do but you just radio a harbour authority and ask before and then you are clear.

Never asked for permission to anchor in Portugal in 19 years. Never been fined. I must be the lucky one.

www.gallantspirit.com
Yup I do agree with you , I am only passing through Portugal for a few months and as a merchant navy officer I tend to read the finer details as posted on the charts and pilots as below but hey each to their own

Caution area (CTNARE)
INFORM

Magnetic Anomalies
Near the islands coastline, magnetic anomalies may occur.
Anchorages
Prior to anchor in the area of this chart, a contact with local Maritime or Port Authority is required.
Portuguese Jurisdictional Waters
The legislation in force, about Territorial Sea, Baselines, Exclusive Economic Zone and Fishing Activities, applicable on maritime areas under Portuguese Law

From RCC

Many cruisers are now heading south from Northern Europe to the Mediterranean for some summer cruising, the vast majority of which sail the Atlantic route across the Bay of Biscay to Northern Spain and down the Portuguese coast towards Gibraltar and the Med.

The west coast of Portugal can be challenging as the majority of ports are situated mostly in estuaries or rivers often with bars at the entrance. This can be tricky if looking for a safe haven in bad weather, coupled with the fact that anchoring anywhere in Portugal requires permission first.

The RCC Pilotage Foundation have added a supplement to their newly published 8th edition of the pilot “Atlantic Spain and Portugal”, which gives the following advice:

“It has been reported that a yachtsman has been fined for anchoring in the Portinho de Arrábida in the Rio Sado without permission. This supplement is published to alert mariners to this incident and to provide the following advice:

It is understood that the Portuguese have a maritime law requiring a vessel to request permission before anchoring in their territorial waters. Either the local Capitania, or the
Policia Maritima (outside office hours) should be consulted and they will provide helpful guidance and give permission as appropriate. In the summer months, when popular
anchorages are busy with boats, this requirement is normally waived except in sensitive areas.”

The supplement can be downloaded here.

In the main, it is advisable when clearing into a country to ask the authorities about any anchoring restrictions along the coast, or if planning to cruise a particular stretch of the coastline, visit first the main port to confirm what restrictions on anchoring are in place (if any). If no swimming area is marked off the beach you intend to anchor at, and there are no mooring buoys in place for visiting yachts, err on the side of caution and anchor as far offshore as is reasonably possible, and take the dinghy in to investigate if any restrictions are in place.

RCC Pilotage Foundation
Atlantic Spain and Portugal 8th Edition 2019

Also from Noonsite

Restrictions

For a useful source of information for visiting yachtsmen on how Portuguese law for safety standards on recreational vessels might affect them, see Lagos Navigators.

Anchoring Restrictions

Restrictions on where you can anchor in Portugal relate to a “default” EU law which forbids anchoring or maneuvering under engine within 500m (can be 1,000m) of the “shore”/”beach”/”swimming area” unless there is a swimming area marked out off the beach. See this report for more details.

In addition, Portuguese maritime law requires all vessels to seek permission before anchoring (either via the Capitania, or the Policia Maritima outside office hours). These authorities can guide visiting yachts as to the appropriate anchorages and give the necessary permission. During high season, particularly in popular anchorages, this requirement is normally not enforced. However, if planning on anchoring in natural park areas, permission should be sought at all times. You risk being fined if you do not follow the rules.

See this news item for more details.

Last updated: June 2019

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 03.13.06.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 03.13.06.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: