sailing lessons for a stinkie

ianainge

Visit site
Although usually found on the Motorboat forum i thou ght this wouild be the place for some soundish advice.Went out with Zefender on sunday tried my hand at a bit of sailing, had a great time(although not converted) but would like to take some lessons (competant crew) there are lots of schools on the net but can anyone recommend anyone either med or uk based, ive looked at sunsail already.

Thanx.

P.s dont tell anyone on the other forum please.

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
Re: cross dressing

don't worry Ian, your secret is safe here ;-)

Southern Saling seems to get lots of good press - I went on a course with their Falmouth operation a few years back.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i would do the theory and do day skip. i am sure you can get enough experience on here to get comp crew which is really not worth the money.
however if you wnat to do it properly in stages, which is probably right

no 1 sell the targa. this will A fund your training
and B motivate you to pass and move over from the dark side.
BOSS have a good reputation but be warned all that free wind don't come cheap.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

tcm

Visit site
Damn!

Right, you're not converted, but gonna do some lessons. Sounds very fishy. Much better to remain Totally Incompetent Crew which makes all the raggies feel great .

<hr width=100% size=1>

ianainge

Visit site
Day skip includes all the nav and stuff, done that for motor along with ICC,although some is different. dont wanna know about nav just the saily bit, sails ropes, windey things, how to drink at 30 degress etc.

Targa is up for sale at end of season.

but to be replaced with V40.

as i say not converted, just wanna broaden my horizons.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Now he wants to be a total Raggie!

>just the saily bit, sails ropes, windey things, how to drink at 30 degress etc<

That's all there is to it! Apart from the Advanced Level Fist-Waving, which has already been covered.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: seriously

Hi ian

I go sailing cos in some parts of the world, sailing is appropriate, and in other parts of the world, at other times, it's more appropriate to have a powerboat.

For example, in the caribbean in winter, it is a bit rubbish to have motorboat cos the wind is solid f3-5 day and night easterly, which is like having rather reliable engine, and waves are a bit wavy so being in planing powerboat wd be ok in the daytime, not at night and there are very few marinas. Also, places like the BVI are a bit small so you could get round too quickly in a powerboat.

But powerboats are the very tip top item in southern france, amongst lots of other places, where most sailboats can only get going at lunchtime with a teeny bit of breeze, and then motor home whilst getting kicked about by an easy majority o powerboats with monster wash. And bear in mind it's france so sod all to do at lunchtime cept sit down and have lunch cos that's what everyone else is doing too.

So, sail in the caribean at winter, or the solent in summer, for example. You can get decent breezes in majorca in summer, tho not if you read the brochures renting powerboats. Not sure exactly when/where wind turns elsewhere, others here are more expert.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Ditto Zeff's recommendation. SOuthern Sailihng is the growlers gonads. boats are scruffy, they're dead serious about it, you may not get to wash for a week. but you'll learn a lot.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Hardly

Don't you lot all have marble bathrooms with gold taps styled like rampant nymphettes, heated towel rails, fluffy dressing gowns, monogrammed slippers, hand maidens and asses milk?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Re: look

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Homepage</A>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Ian,

The best advice I can offer you is:-

Don't do it.

I got a bad dose of the "I think I like this sailing caper" over 40 odd years ago, and I'm still looking for a cure.

No one has given you this advice because they have been brain washed by the lack of fumes and smoke filled air, the sound of bubbles popping at the stern - yes you can actually hear them, provided the stereo is on, oh, and you can hold a normal conversation, no need to shout above the constant roar of a turbo charged diesel guzzling monster or two, you also have to physically steer the boat as required depending on wind direction and sail trim, not to mention very little hull slamming in rough weather.

You stick with the stink, smoke, noise, pounding hull and lack of conversation, that way you will eventually give it up and be cured.

Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: So its ideal for a stinkie then... NM

Dont think you need a skowel to learn to sail. Just a boat. Get out in the middle a bit and stick up the sails. It's easiest if you face the wind first, then dont set off till ready. Sailing is a bit like cricket. When your in, your out, if you see what I mean.
So now youve got your sails up, but not going anywhere cos facing the wind. So you need to point somewhere else. This you can do by sailing backwards a bit, doing a three point turn at the same time. Another way is to back the jib, which really means to turn it inside out. So now your not going where ever the wind is. You can start to pull on the strings. You do this untill they are just in the right position. Tightish if nose near the wind and droopyish if its more behind you. Dont never get wind directly behind you. At least by accident, or get big bang on head by thing called BOOM. If want to stop, let all the bits of string go and sails flap. Once sails flap you stop, less going with wind. So then turn round back into wind. Just get on with it, your a STINKY!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

tcm

Visit site
Re: Oh dear

The stink only occurs if you are not going fast enough - far more likely on a sailboat under power than a planing boat. The deafening roar only occurs on a boat without proper sound insulation. Another solution is to get a bigger boat. You can her each wave cutting the sea if it's all done correctly, and the extra space where the mast would otherwise be is excellent for a nice conversation.

<hr width=100% size=1>