Sailing fun in southern Portugal

Visit site
I have a sailing enthusiast friend visiting for a few weeks, at which time I'll be anchored somewhere around Faro.

Can anyone recommend some day sails, trips, and perhaps a couple of longer sails in the region? Most of what I've read just describes it as a coast of passage, which doesn't bode well.

GHA

Visit site
I have a sailing enthusiast friend visiting for a few weeks, at which time I'll be anchored somewhere around Faro.

Can anyone recommend some day sails, trips, and perhaps a couple of longer sails in the region? Most of what I've read just describes it as a coast of passage, which doesn't bode well.

Up the Guadiana is lovely, though must be getting hot up there by now. Longish day from Cultara if you get the tides right. Or just round the Ria Formosa can be fun out of the swell. Or Tavira closer.

If you plan to go ashore in Faro itself gimme shout if you fancy a quick beer. :)

capnsensible

Visit site
Going west, , Albufuera, Vilamora, Portimao, Lagos all in easy distance.

Other way, as mentioned, the river with Villa Real and Ayamonte. Then we'll worth a look, Isla Canela.

Lots to enjoy! Hope it goes well. :encouragement:

Jungle Jim

Visit site
I'm not sure its a full day trip but if you can get out to the island of Culatra, tie up or anchor and have a walk ashore it is very nice. I don't know what depths there are at the North East (I was on a motor boat sightseeing boat trip for the day so no boaty details) but there was an anchored yacht up there next to a beautiful beach with nobody on it.

Heckler

Visit site

Will be around after tomoz, should be down at Faro end Wednesday or Thursday, give us a shout, Miller Time at 18:00!

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm likely to be in Gib for next week, so not in Faro for some time yet. Perhaps never if keeps blowing Westerlies for weeks on end.

Top tip. When westerlies blow in the Straits, the hard yakka bit is getting from Gib to the other side of Tarifa. Bash through that and it's often nice on the other side. :encouragement:

capnsensible

Visit site
Oh, that can be fun, took us 13 hrs of bashing one time from Ceuta to Barbate:(

I always used to allow around ten hours so not too bad. Can always take a break anchoring east of Tarifa.

Trouble is with westerlies and using the tide advantage it's always gonna be wind against tide so sometimes a tad bumpy.

greeny

Visit site

If you're looking for a slightly longer trip then down to Cadiz and back. Rota is a good marina with nice town. Depends on your depth El Rompidou is a shorter trip. It used to be nice but I believe there's a new marina now and I haven't been there since it was installed.
So many places to go, it depends what ratio of sailing against lounging about you want to enjoy. Definitely not only a coast of passage.
I think this comment comes from the "old" days when Portuguese officialdom made it very difficult when arriving and checking in, so many people skipped the whole of Portugal on the way to the med and used Spain to provision.

Visit site
If you're looking for a slightly longer trip then down to Cadiz and back. Rota is a good marina with nice town. Depends on your depth El Rompidou is a shorter trip. It used to be nice but I believe there's a new marina now and I haven't been there since it was installed.
So many places to go, it depends what ratio of sailing against lounging about you want to enjoy. Definitely not only a coast of passage.
I think this comment comes from the "old" days when Portuguese officialdom made it very difficult when arriving and checking in, so many people skipped the whole of Portugal on the way to the med and used Spain to provision.

Thanks for the tips. Though I don't do marinas, and I'll be coming up from Cadiz so probably won't want to go back and forth 3 times.

I'm sure I'll figure something out to keep them entertained.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Though I don't do marinas, and I'll be coming up from Cadiz so probably won't want to go back and forth 3 times.

I'm sure I'll figure something out to keep them entertained.

Try to avoid contact with Policia Maritima as they will ask if you've paid light dues. No longer 2 euro for 6 months, all "foreign" boats now charged 70 euros for 6 months, we've just had to pay it!

greeny

Visit site
Try to avoid contact with Policia Maritima as they will ask if you've paid light dues. No longer 2 euro for 6 months, all "foreign" boats now charged 70 euros for 6 months, we've just had to pay it!

I understand why the increase has come about but why for only 6 months? It always used to be for a year. Does it mean that the annual cost will now be 140 euros?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I understand why the increase has come about but why for only 6 months? It always used to be for a year. Does it mean that the annual cost will now be 140 euros?

Strange discussion today at Faro Capitania. Originally, we paid 2 euro for 6 months but last year and several previous ones, we paid 11.50 for 12 months coastal. Today were informed all foreign flagged boats now have to pay the 70 for 6 months. Not allowed to pay for 12 at one go to save us having to go back again. The paperwork has an expiry date 16/12/2019.

We were also asked about engine size and it was suggested that we visit the Finances dept, no doubt to pay the circulation tax as well which is based on engine size, which we won't be doing. Unless they're updating that as well, the tax is only payable if the boat is in Portugal for 183 consecutive days in a year and the clock starts again in January so, a few days visit to Spain at the end of June sorts that.

nortada

Visit site
Strange discussion today at Faro Capitania. Originally, we paid 2 euro for 6 months but last year and several previous ones, we paid 11.50 for 12 months coastal. Today were informed all foreign flagged boats now have to pay the 70 for 6 months. Not allowed to pay for 12 at one go to save us having to go back again. The paperwork has an expiry date 16/12/2019.

We were also asked about engine size and it was suggested that we visit the Finances dept, no doubt to pay the circulation tax as well which is based on engine size, which we won't be doing. Unless they're updating that as well, the tax is only payable if the boat is in Portugal for 183 consecutive days in a year and the clock starts again in January so, a few days visit to Spain at the end of June sorts that.

The situation on light dues appears vary depending on where you go. It is my understanding that in Portimao and Lagos you could get an annual certificate for €70 but this may now have changed❓

Circulation tax is about €60 per year on a 40HP engined boat but really bites on a high powered power boat,

Older boats or boats with smaller engines are not liable for circulation tax.

Visit site
I presume you are supposed to go to some kind of port police to pay your dues if not visiting marinas? As an EU boat coming from a schengen country, i think the only time I’ve done this was in Greece for the DEKPA.

greeny

Visit site
I presume you are supposed to go to some kind of port police to pay your dues if not visiting marinas? As an EU boat coming from a schengen country, i think the only time I’ve done this was in Greece for the DEKPA.

Need to go to the office of the Capitania to pay light dues normally.
Circulation tax is normally paid at the finances office as you would your car tax. Of course you only pay this if you "qualify", - larger than 20 kw and staying longer than 183 days.