Sailing from Torquay to Chichester

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
I'm planning the return to sail after 3 years with a mobo that we haven't really fully utilised. We've agreed in principle to buy an LM 24 and will need to get her to a cheap mooring in the Solent/ Chichester area while the weather is (hopefully!) reasonable. Any ideas on how to proceed ie time, where to stop over en route, sort of thing. I have no doubt in my mind that the boat is well capable of the trip, just my abilities. I have been known to chuck up ( see thread a few years ago moving a Bavaria from Brighton to Shoreham!..) in rough conditions but being hospital based for work, can access anti-emetics of top proven efficacy..... So any thoughts....and anyone who fancies doing such a trip in mid July, weather permitting to basically handhold and utter things like " oo, not like that guv" etc would be most welcome, costs would of course be paid at an agreed sum.
Over to the forum.....

jac

Visit site
Surprised that this hasn't generated loads of responses so far!

I will assume that you are comfortable with the boat, everything works etc as a passage straight across lyme bay even in benign conditions is asking for trouble! You could go to west bay which is in the middle but it's off the beaten track and will add another day to the journey if you overnight there.

I would wait for a spell of 3-4 days where moderate winds with some west in them are forecast. as prevailing wind is SW you should have plenty of opportunity, then cross lyme bay in one go.

From Torquay - the biggest hurdle is Portland Bill which must be passed at slack water. Due to the distance you are crossing, timing the inner passage accurately will be quite an achievement so it's far better to aim 3-5 miles off and go round the outside rather than aim for the inshore passage. Tides in Lyme bay are fairly slack so are less of an issue for passage planning. Instead - aim to set off so that by the time you get to PB you have a fair tide.

You should probably plan on not much more than 4.5 knots through the water in a 24 footer so crossing is a long day.

Having rounded PB you have a choice - hang a left for Portland marina / Weymouth harbour or straight on to Poole / Studland. from the offshore passage, I would aim for STudland, especially if you have fair tide to St Albans head - it will take only a little longer than going to Weymouth / Portland but will save 5 -6 hours overall as you'll be so much further east.

Anchor in the SW part of Studland bay and get a good nights rest.

next day - set off for the solent, timing your entry through Needles / North channel so that you go through on the east going tide. From Studland - North Channel is usually a nice route. Once through Hurst, - if you left on the first of the tide you should be able to reach most of the solent before the tide turns foul so take your pick. If time is on your side and you need a shower etc, stop in Yarmouth as it's a pleasant bolt hole but pricey and the showers have their own reputation!. Next day depart to your new home.

Sailorsam101

Visit site
You are best suited to doing lyme bay in one go. Leave Torquay and go to Portland or Weymouth for a day or so..then it's an easy day sail to a mooring buoy on poole and beyond into the solent.

Tides are everything for this trip...you must get them right or it can be a rough and slow ride.

But go for it and enjoy it..just get your tides right..study the chart well and you will be fine.

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
Well, thanks for the replies and advice....taken well on board you can be sure. The tides and weather will be closely studied for the most opportune moment. The boat, having been given a thorough inspection and guided tour by the owner, is well up to the job...we went out for a little sail and motor about and with all lines led aft, she's a delight to sail and rises well to a following sea as we found out when the ferry went behind us raising a decent swell. I'm tempted to break up the trip into 3 day sails and just go for it when the conditions are as good as I can get....and will definitely go outside the Bill, oh yes. I think I can do it alone....but company would be....nice? reassuring? I dunno. Will keep the forum posted as things develop.

Last edited:

jakeroyd

Visit site
I will stand corrected but if you go into Weymouth and go beyond the lift bridge to the marina be aware the earliest opening time is 8am.

This caught me out with my Lyme Bay crossing.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
When were you thinking of going? I'd be interested in anything up to say 5 days crewing in June/July if we can match dates. We are Emsworth based. PM our free dates.?
For loads of very good reasons including our rental property refurb+ a Crown Court Jury Summons for 1st Aug, our own long cruise to the Netherlands/Friesians may be on hold this year. Short Solent sails and flights to see the Family til new tenants in and Jury over

oldharry

Visit site
Agree with the above suggestions: The key thing is timing it to round the Bill safely. Unless you take the inshore passage its hardly worth going in to Portland in my view. Its only a couple of hours or so further to make Swanage/Studland to recover and wait for the tidal gate through the Needles.

I generally aim to arrive off Portland soon after LW, as you then pick up the east flow up past St Albans which will whisk you along quite briskly up and round Anvil point.

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
Old Harry, many thanks, your advice along with others similar is noted and will be acted on. Tidewaiter2 I will contact you as soon as I know this purchase is happening...and thanks for the offer.

RobF

Visit site
I set off to do the reverse trip on Thursday (Chichester to Torquay). Plan is as follows
Thursday: Chichester to Poole. If weather is not conducive I will stop in Lymington or Keyhaven
Friday: Poole to Bridport (West Bay). If weather is not conducive I will stop in Portland
Saturday: Slack day (probably catching up from one of the above days where I haven't been able to do the mileage I was hoping
Sunday: Torquay

Maximum distance in one day is 45NM. Assuming I get the tides right, I need to average just under 4 knots over the water to have a maximum sail time of 10 hours. Clearly the extended daylight hours will help here. Weather is looking pretty calm at the moment - I fear that the engine may get more use than I would like!

Seven Spades

Visit site
I would go straight to Studland/Poole going into Weymouth is a long way around and always takes longer then you think. It will be really long day though but is do-able just prepare for it.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I don't think you can. If you get fair tide at the bill you will get foul tide at Hurst. You need to leave Poole before low tide to make it through the Solent.

jac

Visit site
How much longer do you think it take to go straight to Chichester via the the South of IOW and aproach from the Eastern (avoiding the Hurst tidal gate) side rather than go to Poole/Studland?

Bit of a piece of string question but I would expect an additional 6-8 hours on the journey compared to diverting to studland / poole dependent on speed, tide etc. elapsed time for the journey I would expect would be little different but not measured it!

Tides aren't Hurst strong round the back of the Wight but will still be quite an impact on a 24 footer and it can get a bit bouncy of St Catherines in the right conditions. Worth doing it if you need to get back a day earlier and the hurst gate has slammed in your face but probably wouldn't bother otherwise.

colhel

Visit site
Way I see it, it's all about what time you can or be prepared to leave Torquay. I consider the bit between Portland Bill and Old Harry to be one long tidal gate.
But as "jac" hasn't dismissed the other way for completely ludicrous I'm tempted (for fun, not as a suggestion to the OP..) to work out a good time to leave Torquay to get to Chichester via the Bembridge side :)

dom

Visit site
I'm tempted (for fun, not as a suggestion to the OP..) to work out a good time to leave Torquay to get to Chichester via the Bembridge side :)

I did Brixham to P'mouth a few years back in an easterly wind. Set off on a SE heading and after a long 40 mile tack we were waiting for the wind to veer and set up the next 40m leg ...it never came!

A quick huddle with the crew followed, whereupon it was decided to have a proper think about tactics at the First and Last in Alderney. Stbd leg had to wait until the next day ;)

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
OK, quick update, deposit has been paid and finance arranged for the balance, so purchase is ON! For practical purposes, the delivery trip to Chichester has to be between the 8th and the 21st July as that's when I have the time off work, assuming a journey time of 2-3 days. Twitching slightly.......:ambivalence:

lw395

Visit site
I would suggest arming yourself with a pilot book or two, an almanac and whatever charts you feel you might need to have all reasonable ports available to you.
Then make a flexible plan and see how it goes.
If you are making good progress in fair winds, you might get to Yarmouth in one hit.
Or you could overnight at Weymouth, or on the hook off Swanage.
In light weather you can wait for fair tide off Christchurch.
Poole is an option, but a bit off the rhumbline IMHO.
Keep your options open though. If you get some bad weather, Poole or Weymouth are handy places to be and several notches nearer home.

Bear in mind on a new-to-you boat, odd things may go wrong or just be missing.
So a short shakedown might be worthwhile?

Main thing is to enjoy it, don't beat yourself or crew to death trying to follow a plan if the weather suggests a re-think.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Bear in mind on a new-to-you boat, odd things may go wrong or just be missing.
So a short shakedown might be worthwhile?

Main thing is to enjoy it, don't beat yourself or crew to death trying to follow a plan if the weather suggests a re-think.

+1 with the 'new to you' boat thing. Just have a couple of good "out & back" trips to make sure everything works as it should before setting off on the delivery trip.