Sailing boots, recommend please

capetown

Visit site
The time has come to replace my old boots.

Can I find any to fit? Can I hell, unless they are like a prick in a bucket.

Have my feet changed or are boots getting smaller?

It's the area over the top of my foot, sort of between the ankles that is tight in the boot.

Help appreciated.

Ceirwan

Visit site
There are tons of other makes though.
http://www.dubarry.com/products.cfm?category=E0&range=10 I know plenty of people with these....

I have the Dubarry Ultima's, best boots I've ever owned, period!
Sunny days I don't get sweaty feet, they are beautifully warm on cold days and if they do get wet inside, dry out quickly... They do cost a lot, but you feel like a king when you wear them ;)

hocus

Visit site
Second the recommendation for Dubarry. Comfortable in all weathers, come in half sizes, slightly different fittings between styles so bound to get a good fit. As they wear they look even better, and finally, I have heard, they do a resoling service when the rubber wears out.

Marine Reflections

hullgel.co.uk
My fastnets from Dubarry have faired an awful lot better than my previous Ultimas, the Ultimas were great but they did sag a little after a while on the calves. Under the pressure of daily use mind, the Ultimas did perform very very well.

Fastnets have my vote though as the better of the two, the 'cut' so to speak held shape, the subtle high visibility strips and the elasticated top, they felt warm in winter yet cool in summer.

Better designed overall for performance, mix of Gore-tex and leather, out performs the Ultimas easily on grip with the softer sole and the insides are still fresh as they have better breathing.

For what they return by way of performance, they are very cost effective and I would certainly buy again in the future. :)

Skysail

Visit site
Dubarry have suited me and SWMBO very well. But it took a while to find a pair that fitted properly; they all seem to vary and you just have to keep trying.

Seajet

Visit site
I made the mistake of buying 'posh' wellies a while ago.

Too sort on freeboard, and too easily stained even in my nowadays casual use.

Go for Musto M1's, by far the best I've ever had for grip, ease on & off, comfort etc, I hope they're still available - mine are lasting very well after what I realise, worryingly, is considerably over a decade.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com

Boots are getting smaller. I used to be able to find them without problems, but now almost all sailing boots seem to be made for the anorexic trophy wife market. No healthy person could ever fit into the current offerings from Gill, for example.

It's the area over the top of my foot, sort of between the ankles that is tight in the boot.

Dubarry "Extra Fit" versions - Shamrock, Ultima, maybe some others - give a bit more room there as well as round the calves. Otherwise the only boots I could find which fitted were Lazilas, and the only place I know that does them is Duncan's in Glasgow ... who do mail order ...

Sequoiah1

Visit site
The time has come to replace my old boots.

Can I find any to fit? Can I hell, unless they are like a prick in a bucket.

Help appreciated.

We have been using Hunters for the past couple of seasons as this allows us to use them onboard and going ashore. However the hot and dry weather of this season might force us to wear crocs..............................

tonijon

east coast can be found most weekends at the Black
Visit site
Would go with dubarrys ultimas was lucky enough to get a new pair from a boat jumble for £100. a plus side is that they very rarly get smelly even in hot condidtions (the only time that mine smelt offesive was when wasnt able to change out of oilies for 3 days when caught in a force 10 with water contially comming up to our shins in the cockpit). Sadly Dubarry no longer does resoling on the boots something to do with the material they now use for the soles.