Sailing back North from the Canaries / Cape Verde?

Tim Good

Visit site
Indeed. Plus you can take some time in cruising mode to explore the Azores. I like doing that!

What is generally the best time to cross back? May / June? Before hurricane season and after any North Atlantic gales? Assume there is a fairly specific route to capture the currents? Excuse my ignorance, I haven't researched the north Atlantic crossing at all... I just hear the horror stories from other cruisers we met caught in gales returning. Not least I met the chap that got knocked down and blew out a port window ending in a total loss and a rescue by the QE2!

capnsensible

Visit site
Its always a little subjective but Ive crossed in April, May, June and July.

This year I left 19th April, was pleasant enough but its a tad wet then and can get galey.

Best one was late, (because of a fault on the boat) June and into July.. Slight risk of early hurricane but I reckon anytime June is OK, looking at the history of hurricanes over the years. Good site at wunderground.tropical for archive.

Tim Good

Visit site
Its always a little subjective but Ive crossed in April, May, June and July.

This year I left 19th April, was pleasant enough but its a tad wet then and can get galey.

Best one was late, (because of a fault on the boat) June and into July.. Slight risk of early hurricane but I reckon anytime June is OK, looking at the history of hurricanes over the years. Good site at wunderground.tropical for archive.

These are all deliveries you're doing? Curious what doesn't one charge for delivering a boat back across the pond? Would you tend to do it singlehanded?

GHA

Visit site
What is generally the best time to cross back? May / June? Before hurricane season and after any North Atlantic gales? Assume there is a fairly specific route to capture the currents? Excuse my ignorance, I haven't researched the north Atlantic crossing at all... I just hear the horror stories from other cruisers we met caught in gales returning. Not least I met the chap that got knocked down and blew out a port window ending in a total loss and a rescue by the QE2!

Masses of weather info in the opencpn climatology plugin & pilot charts if you haven't downloaded them already :cool: ->

fetch.php

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/d...encpn_user_manual:plugins:weather:climatology
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/weathersource.html

capnsensible

Visit site
These are all deliveries you're doing? Curious what doesn't one charge for delivering a boat back across the pond? Would you tend to do it singlehanded?

Not all deliveries, my wife and I have taken our yacht across to the Carib and back twice.

Never singlehanded although I know one or two that do. For Ocean, me plus two. For coastal (just got back from a La Linea to Brest) me plus one experienced crew.

Rates are, of course, commercially confidential ;)