Sailing areas

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I am looking at changing my boat, I am interested in a Beneteau First 45f5 cruiser, by the look of things Greece appears to be shooting itself in the foot with this new tax that's talked about.
There are boats to my requirement on the West coast of France, Spain, Malta, Italy and good old Greece.
Now, if I am honest, because of the length of time I have been out here I rarely pay that many port authorities fees, I also have moorings in Poros and Porto Rafti to keep the boat in summer or winter if I chose.
I am afraid, I do not have the deep pockets of some on here that are willing and think its good value to spend £5000 pa on a marina berth.

So are there any benefits in moving to the area that I have bought the new yacht, I do fancy Spain for a few seasons as it would be a good place to leave for the "new world". The same with western France from there I could take time doing the Rias and Portugal? what are the costs like there? If any long timers there would like to help by advising me please feel free.

Then, Vic talks favourably of Croatia, which would work for buying in Malta or Italy. perhaps he could comment

Also if anyone has knowledge of a First 45 and its possibilities as a liveaboard boat, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cariadco

Visit site
About 15 years ago, I went after a 45F5 and looked at loads and loads of them. Cracking boats, and still fast, even today. However, the problem then was that they were either the 4 Bedroom Charter version, mostly battered or the 3 Bed Owners version, but all were way to expensive.
Even looked at the big sister 53F5 but they were slagged by all for being too slow!!

Come across them every now and then and still think they are brilliant boats.

As a last point, I'm staying in Greece, dunno what's going to happen but we shall see.

RupertW

Visit site
The new increased in tax in Croatia looks much worse than Greece as Croatia will actually implement it. It seems designed to remove couples on boats in favour of packed charter boats who generate far more income at each place they visit. We were planning to leave Croatia anyway so it will make no difference to us now but might in a few years time when we are back this way again.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
The new increased in tax in Croatia looks much worse than Greece as Croatia will actually implement it. It seems designed to remove couples on boats in favour of packed charter boats who generate far more income at each place they visit. We were planning to leave Croatia anyway so it will make no difference to us now but might in a few years time when we are back this way again.

Yes, My problem is I have only sailed in the Ionion and Aegean seas and was looking for specific information regarding other sailing areas
thanks for replying.

RupertW

Visit site
Yes, My problem is I have only sailed in the Ionion and Aegean seas and was looking for specific information regarding other sailing areas
thanks for replying.

Sorry, to add a little to a suitable answer we returned to Croatia last year after 3 years in Aegean and Ionian as it remained by far our favourite part of the Med so far (even though we really did enjoy Greece).

All parts of the Croatian coast and islands have their charm and beauty spots, but for us the area between Split snd Mljet are our favourite cruising grounds - very cheap if you are liveabaord as we've never paid to anchor or for a moorings buoy there but marinas are expensive. We spent 3 years in Marina Kremik which I liked a lot and are now in Marina Betina much further north. Marinas are pretty well organised and safe in Croatia with water, electricity and wifi but you pay for it.

Above Split I find you often have to pay for mooring bouys but there are other options and it's less crowded and for me the most beautiful anchorage in the country is on Pag up near Istria which is a must do region in September if you like truffles.

I eat Greek food a lot at home but the cuisine is far more limited compared to Croatia which has Balkan, Italian and Turkish influences. We went to 2 michelin starred restaurants there this year and even the local tavernas have more variety and better fish dishes (some frozen alas).

If you are live aboard or can afford a marina berth then you won't regret being based in Croatia even if the culture is very different to Greece. They say no by instinct instead of yes, but when they do say yes to something they mean it and are very efficient.

The crossing from Italy or up from Corfu is usually unremarkable if you avoid a bura. Given the frequent northerlies we often slant across from Corfu to Brindisi then slant across to Croatia.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hello
I am Bumping the thread as I would like to know where people living on the water find the best country/area for long-term sailing. I love Greece and have been around most of it. Where else is comparable enjoyment and costs-wise found now these new taxes are on the horizon

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hello
I am Bumping the thread as I would like to know where people living on the water find the best country/area for long-term sailing. I love Greece and have been around most of it. Where else is comparable enjoyment and costs-wise found now these new taxes are on the horizon
Well Bob like you over the years we spend what seen a lifetime sailing Greek water although most year we manage to get in another country or two at the same time.
With the new tax as well as fancying a real change we thinking of moving North west see some country we not seen for some time, like Sardinia and the south of France, we enjoyed the south of France, anchoring in Cannes , Antibes , Toulon and Marseille , some great places to visit maybe visiting Rome again, although winter isn't over yet, our next dilemma is where to spend next winter, with two winters spend in Malta we could return and have another warm winter, Greece is now out of the question the tax have put a stop to it plus we always found the winter we spend in Greece wet, Sicily is a poss weather good so are the flights and with three winters spend in Ragusa and Licata hat another real possibility.
But if we do end up going North West it open up our option to some where like Cartagena, some where totally new.

Contest1

Visit site
Here on the Costa Blanc's last three years. Official marina berth for my 9mt is less than 2700 euro and now on a private rental for a lot less including water and electricity. No additional tax just cheap beer and cafes and restaurants to suit all tastes.
Love the area and the sailor's here. I mostly day sail but others go of for weeks at a time. Plenty of interesting ports and anchorages within easy reach plus the Balerics and the Mar Minor are just a long day sail.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Here on the Costa Blanc's last three years. Official marina berth for my 9mt is less than 2700 euro and now on a private rental for 1700 including water and electricity. No additional tax just cheap beer and cafes and restaurants to suit all tastes.
Love the area and the sailor's here. I mostly day sail but others go of for weeks at a time. Plenty of interesting ports and anchorages within easy reach plus the Balerics and the Mar Minor are just a long day sail.

Hi, sounds good, do you mind sharing which Marina you are in

Contest1

Visit site
Marina de las Dunas, Puerto Guardamar. Currently a problem for anyone drawing over 1.8mt due to silting and some problems with were to dump the silt already dredged. Some of the bigger boats have moved to Torreveija were prices are similar!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Marina de las Dunas, Puerto Guardamar. Currently a problem for anyone drawing over 1.8mt due to silting and some problems with were to dump the silt already dredged. Some of the bigger boats have moved to Torreveija were prices are similar!

We visited by road a few weeks ago. Looks very pleasant and well sheltered. do you know if there are free berths? It looked fairly full.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
thanks for replying.

West France, N Spain and Portugal are great cruising grounds, good value relative to UK, as long as you're not put off by periods of grotty weather, and the excitement of dealing with tidal streams and depths which range over 2m or more. Stay South of the Raz de Sein, and the streams are only serious when entering rivers or inland sea areas. For detail, google "jimb biscay" - and the pages it leads to.

The Rias of Galicia are suitable for a live aboard who doesn't mind a wet winter. Very Spanish; great fun near a big town. My favourite was A Coruna for a couple of months, and then in weather windows, travelled south to Leixoes (to spend a month near Porto) then on to Lisbon (detail, West Portugal

The Algarve is a coast of passage. But lots of Brits take root in Lagos - a big ex-pat community. Lots of nice anchorages en route to Cadiz.

Once in the Med, Corsica, Sardinia, NW Italy and Sicily will occupy a whole season's cruising. Crowded mid July to late August. There are enough anchorages, especially East of the Bonifacio straits, to keep costs low. Most sailors who aren't French or Italian around here are sprinting to cheaper Greece/Croatia, so you don't see many live-aboards around here.

I cruised Biscay for three years before moving south of A Coruna. I loved it. I'd done the Balearics on charters, so didn't spend much time there. W Italy and Sicily added another year . . .

You'll have a great time taking the trip W France to the toe of Italy slow. But only if you love "the local experience", and don't miss the live-aboard community life too much.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Yes, I must go somewhere different, I have become complacent after sailing 22 years in the Ionion, Aegean and Turkish coast. I sailed most of the time with a family crew.
Last year took a few crew on from Crewbay and Crewseekers. Have to say most of those coming aboard were looking for a free ride and unbelievable tight especially the Australians, I was asking 10 Euro a day each, all in and they wanted to eat fresh fish most days .
Alhough did get some very good crew that are coming back this season. The females were much easier to have abroad.

Last edited:

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Quote "You'll have a great time taking the trip W France to the toe of Italy slow. But only if you love "the local experience", and don't miss the live-aboard community life too much."

I agree there are very few liveaboards here in north west Italy, hence moving down to sicily this year, taking it slow down the west coast of Italy and the Islands. Must take ones time to digest the food and excellent wine.