Sailing areas

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Quote "You'll have a great time taking the trip W France to the toe of Italy slow. But only if you love "the local experience", and don't miss the live-aboard community life too much."

I agree there are very few liveaboards here in north-west Italy, hence moving down to sicily this year, taking it slow down the west coast of Italy and the Islands. Must take ones time to digest the food and excellent wine.

Hello
Without you giving too much away, I have a limited budget to work with E400 -450 max per week.Now I can do Greece quite well on 200 euro a week, even lots less probally under 20 euro a day all in
How would that work out on the west coast of Italy and other Med islands

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Ah! The unknown,known, which actually is a known, known. are the marina costs that could make or break the budget. :)

Bob your 400/ 450e a month depend what include in that .
we normally hit three country's each year as we cruise around , we like to move around , last year it was Greece , Sicily,Italy and Malta . The year before , Greece,Croatia,Sicily,Italy and Malta and our mooring fees are almost Zero last year was the worst we got hit for 25e for one night in Greece in an harbour ( sods ) .
it's our winter berth that hit us hard , but as our season are long ,nine months, we can cut that down quite a lot.
So it does make me a bit cross when I read how expensive other country are compared to Greece to cruise, I can only put this down to two thing , A... people who report this are talking out of their ass or B.... the same people want the conform of marinas and mooring buoys . In which case just like parking your car you pay and in most cases through the nose no different then in Greece .
We don't keep accounts to be honest I don't want to know , but our weekly expenses never come more then 150 euros while cruising , very different when we in out winter stop over , that includes all the vino and my other half like her vino what ever the cost , eating out now and then entertaining on board, shopping and cat food , he seen to eat more then us, for sure our toilet paper is a lot cheaper then his cat litter .
Of cause on top of that you have fuel, which is our next big expense, and that depends how much you move and how much you sail , we tend to sail as much as we can , if we can get 2.5 / 3 kts SOG the engine stays off , even less at times ,
most people I know laughs at that any thing under 4 kts and they are motoring.
We in no rush to get any where.
It's the winter that's the killer , I like to do what ever needs doing to our home then and I hate to think what we spent but then I would need to spend that where ever I am .
On top of these cost there the Normal cost of owning a ( hole in the ground which we pore money into ) .
But then again these cost you would have to pay no matter where you are .

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Bob your 400/ 450e a month depend what include in that .
we normally hit three country's each year as we cruise around , we like to move around , last year it was Greece , Sicily,Italy and Malta . The year before , Greece,Croatia,Sicily,Italy and Malta and our mooring fees are almost Zero last year was the worst we got hit for 25e for one night in Greece in an harbour ( sods ) .
it's our winter berth that hit us hard , but as our season are long ,nine months, we can cut that down quite a lot.
So it does make me a bit cross when I read how expensive other country are compared to Greece to cruise, I can only put this down to two thing , A... people who report this are talking out of their ass or B.... the same people want the conform of marinas and mooring buoys . In which case just like parking your car you pay and in most cases through the nose no different then in Greece .
We don't keep accounts to be honest I don't want to know , but our weekly expenses never come more then 150 euros while cruising , very different when we in out winter stop over , that includes all the vino and my other half like her vino what ever the cost , eating out now and then entertaining on board, shopping and cat food , he seen to eat more then us, for sure our toilet paper is a lot cheaper then his cat litter .
Of cause on top of that you have fuel, which is our next big expense, and that depends how much you move and how much you sail , we tend to sail as much as we can , if we can get 2.5 / 3 kts SOG the engine stays off , even less at times ,
most people I know laughs at that any thing under 4 kts and they are motoring.
We in no rush to get any where.
It's the winter that's the killer , I like to do what ever needs doing to our home then and I hate to think what we spent but then I would need to spend that where ever I am .
On top of these cost there the Normal cost of owning a ( hole in the ground which we pore money into ) .
But then again these cost you would have to pay no matter where you are .

Hi Vic It's €450 max a week I have free to spend..€1800 month..... Which I don't.!!
I eat out a lot when on my own,but even then rarely spend over €150 a week all in.
I like others put the engine on to early ,don't know why as theres no need to get anywhere in a rush.

Last edited: