Sailing Apprenticeship Scheme

claymore

Visit site
Ok
From the perspective of someone who works in FE and in particular Work-Based Learning.

I think it is really enterprising, I can see a number relevant apprenticeship frameworks into which it could fit so funding ought to be relatively straightforward and most importantly, there are probably a decent number of young people out there who would love such an opportunity.

If you would like to discuss this provision further Iwould be delighted to explore possibilities with you - please PM me.

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Well - you never quite know where a thread will take people... And some of the comments here are, as ever, quite surprising!

I personally thought the main issue at hand is that of a young talented female sailor desperately trying to make a name for herself it in a male dominated industry.

Those that are sceptical about the concept, I can assure you that the main advantage to us is gaining the continuity of one individuals commitment. With 12,000 Miles we will ensure that they develop their skills in accordance with our high standards. We would hopefully end up with a very well rounded and highly experienced professional skipper who is more than capable of managing a yacht and her crew whilst on delivery, no matter what the distance.

The opportunity so far has been quite popular with people wanting to make a career in sailing. With thousands of yacht masters qualifying every year crew are finding it increasingly hard to make the jump to skipper.

Pete

ps. Madhatter - It's never too late... I look forward to seeing your video ;-)

Simondjuk

Visit site
Apologies, Toad. I mistakenly took your comment as a bit of a needless slur on someone simply trying to get a foot in a door.

Seajet, Well called, my mistake.

:)

Last edited:

Retired in Crete

Visit site
I personally thought the main issue at hand is that of a young talented female sailor desperately trying to make a name for herself it in a male dominated industry.

Sorry but she already has a name, she wants to earn a living!

I can assure you that the main advantage to us is gaining the continuity of one individuals commitment.

............and nothing to do with keeping costs down to the minimum?

To my mind this is plain exploitation of the young and desperate. The government introduced minimum wage legislation to stop this but you have found a way round it by not paying anything at all! Your candidates may be able to work for nothing but what about those who are equally talented but don't have the means, or affluent parents, to finance themselves?

You are making a living on the backs of unpaid workers. If you had any ethics and morals you would share some of your profit with those who provided it for you, maybe in the form of a bonus or something at the end of a successful delivery.

John

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
The government introduced minimum wage legislation to stop this but you have found a way round it by not paying anything at all! Your candidates may be able to work for nothing but what about those who are equally talented but don't have the means, or affluent parents, to finance themselves?

You are making a living on the backs of unpaid workers. If you had any ethics and morals you would share some of your profit with those who provided it for you, maybe in the form of a bonus or something at the end of a successful delivery.

John

What government? Certainly not the Greek one?

Yes, life is unfair and if you have rich parents you get more choices. Personally I would rather live in that world than one where employers were forced to do things against the natural leveller of commerciality and economics. It's not a perfect system, but no one has come up with a better one IMHO.

Small businesses really struggle with making the commitment to employ people. I do not think we should be giving the OP a hard time just for offering someone unpaid work for experience. No one is forcing her to take it. If she wants paid work she can go somewhere else.

Having said that, is it clear that she will be offered a job if she completes her training?

andyjcox1

Visit site
I think this is a great scheme, I have been wanting to do something like this for a while now as a good way into the industry. Miles, contacts and experience counts for everything.

The big barrier to most though will be funding. Say the scheme is 6 months to a year, unless you are still a student, or have huge savings, not many can afford to be out of work and to live for a year without an income.

From what I can tell, there is not much money to be made as a skipper or crew at the end of it, so purely from a money perspective, not a good return on your investment. Although I guess as a wise man once said, money does not buy you happiness, and sailing for a living...priceless.

How long is the apprentiship, I may get my video camera out and start emptying my piggy bank.

islandsailor

Visit site
+1 well said....

Sorry but she already has a name, she wants to earn a living!

............and nothing to do with keeping costs down to the minimum?

To my mind this is plain exploitation of the young and desperate. The government introduced minimum wage legislation to stop this but you have found a way round it by not paying anything at all! Your candidates may be able to work for nothing but what about those who are equally talented but don't have the means, or affluent parents, to finance themselves?

John

BruceDanforth

Visit site
Some of you may already know that we run an apprenticeship scheme; broadly speaking 12,000 NM on board a variety of vessels, sailing and learning from some of the best Skippers out there...

I am offering a scholarship to try and help encourage some new and enthusiastic sailors to apply and become part of the team. The brief was simple:

"Candidates are to send a two minute video showing how passionate they are for a career on the water. Although a creative approach is welcome, I don’t mind if the videos are just taken on your mobile phones. What I am looking for is a real sense that you are as dedicated and passionate about professional sailing as I am."

For those who are interested, I have now had the first video application:

http://youtu.be/mo2ueVBfJDk

I welcome your thoughts and comments!

Pete

What I've noticed actually is that you never miss an opportunity to blow your own trumpet.

I could send you a video of me crapping in my bucket whilst singlehanding in the North Sea perhaps as I look for an ocean passage on www.Crewseekers.net ?

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
To my mind this is plain exploitation of the young and desperate.

Where do you stand on Charter firms charging people to do their deliveries?

If the OP was selling this training for £10,000 would you have a problem with his offer?

At the heart of it all you're really saying is that sailing ought to be well paid. Well sorry, it isn't. Like most fun things it's unpaid or very poorly paid - much to the regret of just about all of us, including me.

There's an offer of an opportunity. If it's considered a good opportunity it will be taken up by someone. If it's a bad offer it won't be.

Reverend Ludd

Visit site

If the OP was selling this training for £10,000 would you have a problem with his offer?

At the heart of it all you're really saying is that sailing ought to be well paid. Well sorry, it isn't. Like most fun things it's unpaid or very poorly paid - much to the regret of just about all of us, including me.

There's an offer of an opportunity. If it's considered a good opportunity it will be taken up by someone. If it's a bad offer it won't be.

I think this is where I sit on this too.
There are companies that charge for this and if HY choose to do it another way then great.

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
Her choice isn't it? Not for us to judge her actions. For all we know she's made 100 applications and this is just an iron in a fire if everything else fails.

100? Are you any surer of that than knowing your arse from your elbow?

Apologies, Toad. I mistakenly took your comment as a bit of a needless slur on someone simply trying to get a foot in a door. Seajet, Well called, my mistake. :)

No problem at all Simindjuk, we've all misread posts.

Retired in Crete

Visit site

It is no different from hiring a car at Heathrow and leaving it in Glasgow at the end of the hire period. Charter Co's give discounts for doing this and give a lax time schedule. (There is plenty of time for leisure sailing.)

None at all, but I would expect it to be pure training, not delivering boats for which the company gets additional income!

At the heart of it all you're really saying is that sailing ought to be well paid. Well sorry, it isn't.

That is not what I say at all! I am simply saying that if you make a profit from anyones labours then they deserve some of it. The fact that they enjoy the job is irrelevant.

John

Seajet

Visit site
Apologies, Toad. I mistakenly took your comment as a bit of a needless slur on someone simply trying to get a foot in a door.

Seajet, Well called, my mistake.

:)

Simon,

thanks, no worries, I get carried away too !

I do feel strongly about talented young people being ripped off while responsible for lives and valuable hardware though, I can't help thinking of a charachter from Dickens, & Thatcher jointly shoving a youngster up a chimney !

Resolution

Visit site
It's particularly hard work running a small business in these recessionary times. Pete should be applauded for trying to find innovative and cost-effective ways of keeping his business going.
And I think that using these forums to sound out new ideas is a brilliant opportunity for all of us to help with constructive comments - so well done those of you who have!

Other threads that may be of interest