Sail and propeller in hold luggage

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I am planning on bringing a new mainjsail and a replacement propeller back to Portugal in outr hold luggage. Does anyone think I will have any problems at customs?

- W

Bilgediver

Visit site
This procedure below is in place here and most other countries world wide. With the right documentation it is possible to export items vat free and import at destination vat and duty free. With out this it depends on which jobsworth you deal with as to how much duty and vat you pay. If the sail is in a robust sail bag and the prop in a sturdy box if not in your suitecase then should be fine. there should be no problem with the airline.

There is a thread on this forum where a member recently saved a lot of money following these procedures in relation to electronic navigational items and made substantial savings. The commercial vessels do this as standard practice.

VAT on goods exported from the UK (VAT Notice 703)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The problem here is webcraft already paid vat on his sails ,
There some thing in the back of my brain that telling me there a way he can claim that back at point of export ( airport) might be worth looking into it .

He could if he falls into the wrong hands end up having to pay VAT again sorry to say ,
But if he can claim his vat back from HMRC at less he only be paying it once.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The problem here is webcraft already paid vat on his sails ,
There some thing in the back of my brain that telling me there a way he can claim that back at point of export ( airport) might be worth looking into it .

He could if he falls into the wrong hands end up having to pay VAT again sorry to say ,
But if he can claim his vat back from HMRC at less he only be paying it once.

The retail VAT scheme where VAT on personal goods could be reclaimed on exit has been stopped. Highly likely any normal looking baggage will be searched on entry.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The retail VAT scheme where VAT on personal goods could be reclaimed on exit has been stopped. Highly likely any normal looking baggage will be searched on entry.
I had some thing in my head , so that's been stop now ?

My thought was he may have the sail in a sail bag , not sure how big his sail is but we would need on hell of a suite case lol

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We have had small stuff send from the UK which we can't buyin the EU but what we done is have it sent to my son and he repacked and send out ,

In that way we only pay vat once .

With expenses stuff people should seek out local shipping agent as in my other posting and buy ex vat and send out .

Irish Rover

Visit site
I am planning on bringing a new mainjsail and a replacement propeller back to Portugal in outr hold luggage. Does anyone think I will have any problems at customs?

- W
I brought a calorifer from Ireland to Turkey in a large sports bag wrapped in a blanket a couple of years ago. I was stopped by customs after collecting my luggage and they asked me to open that bag but not another I had also checked in. I had "prepared" an invoice showing it as a second hand purchase costing less than $100 which was the threshold and got away with it. I asked the guy why he picked that bag and he said he was pre-advised to do so presumably because the large metal item had shown up on an xray check or whatever they do with checked-in luggage.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I had some thing in my head , so that's been stop now ?

My thought was he may have the sail in a sail bag , not sure how big his sail is but we would need on hell of a suite case lol
My 150% genoa weighs 15 kilos and will fit in a suitcase and am planning on doing just that. we have brought a spin dryer through before now!