Safety Briefing on the day - please have a read

oGaryo

Visit site
Morning guys.. I am not an elf n safety expert but have taken up the role of giving you all a reminder of looking after yourself and each other on the ride. Here's a list of things to consider that I've found off the web. Please have a read and add to the list if you think we should cover anything else.

Key safety briefing issued to all participants verbally on the day

● YOU are all ultimately responsible for your own safety - there is no specific traffic management for this ride.

● Remember, THIS IS NOT A RACE, If you are uncomfortable at any time about being in traffic or feel overly fatigued, feel free to stop. If you do need to stop it is good if possible to let someone know what you are doing.

● If necessary, you could walk along/across any section you find difficult.

● Follow all road rules (incl. helmets) and signal where necessary.

● Ride in smooth, consistent lines.

● Do not ride too close to parked cars.

● Do not weave in and out between cars.

● Watch for motorists failing to give way or cutting you off.

● When crossing intersections (even if you have the right of way) it is good to “eyeball” motorists (look them in the eye to ensure they have seen you).

● When starting out at the lights on the green light watch for cars crossing on a red or going across your path on a green.

● Be courteous to all other road or path users especially pedestrians.

● Don't ride more than two abreast and if necessary ride single file, e.g. if there is a motor vehicle trying to pass from behind and it is safe to move over.

● Don't follow too closely to the person in front - feel free to spread out.

● The pace is going to be leisurely, no need to rush.

● In the event of any mechanical problem or injury stop and call the support vehicle if necessary

● Ensure you have serviced your bike before the ride

● Take a puncture repair kit with you as a minimum, ideally take a spare inner tube too.. a pump is essential

● Wear at least one item of safety (reflective) clothing

● Don't worry about having to wait for red lights, traffic, etc; you won't be left behind.

● Don't just follow the person in front across ANY traffic crossings - always check for yourself that there is a safe gap.

● Watch out for each other and warn of any dangers.

● If you spot any glass, pothole, or other debris in the way, call it out and point at it for others behind you.

● Use hand signals to indicate left/right turns or when you are going to stop.

● Ensure that you have drunk sufficient fluid before leaving and drink regularly during the ride before you feel thirsty

● Make a point of having breakfast and eat regularly during the ride before you feel muscle fatigue

● Take advantage of the rest stops to fill water bottles and recuperate

● Ensure you attend the safety briefing on the day

● Consider taking out Personal Liability Cover

● Be prepared for inclement weather

● Above all, have fun, be the rider others would want to be.

Cheers Gary

fireball

Visit site
On the personal liability front ...

membership of Cyclists Touring Club or British Cycling gives you 3rd party insurance and legal cover - just incase you scrape that Ferrari as you overtake it entering the 50 limit .... ;)

Talulah

Visit site
How many participants are there?
If a large group and 30 bullet points to get across a verbal safety briefing could fall short without a leaflet to hand out as well.
By the time you get half way down that list some will be on their mobiles, some having a *** and others already heading off.
There is a sailing school boat next to ours in Clarence Marina and we have a verbal sweepstake on when it will leave. They go through every item above and below decks before they head out. You can see the boredom and loss of interest on the clients faces. Rarely is it before midday before they leave and occasionally having done the briefing they then have lunch before they set off.

P4Paul

Visit site
Morning guys.. I am not an elf n safety expert but have taken up the role of giving you all a reminder of looking after yourself and each other on the ride. Here's a list of things to consider that I've found off the web. Please have a read and add to the list if you think we should cover anything else.

Key safety briefing issued to all participants verbally on the day

● YOU are all ultimately responsible for your own safety - there is no specific traffic management for this ride.

● Remember, THIS IS NOT A RACE, If you are uncomfortable at any time about being in traffic or feel overly fatigued, feel free to stop. If you do need to stop it is good if possible to let someone know what you are doing.

● If necessary, you could walk along/across any section you find difficult.

● Follow all road rules (incl. helmets) and signal where necessary.

● Ride in smooth, consistent lines.

● Do not ride too close to parked cars.

● Do not weave in and out between cars.

● Watch for motorists failing to give way or cutting you off.

● When crossing intersections (even if you have the right of way) it is good to “eyeball” motorists (look them in the eye to ensure they have seen you).

● When starting out at the lights on the green light watch for cars crossing on a red or going across your path on a green.

● Be courteous to all other road or path users especially pedestrians.

● Don't ride more than two abreast and if necessary ride single file, e.g. if there is a motor vehicle trying to pass from behind and it is safe to move over.

● Don't follow too closely to the person in front - feel free to spread out.

● The pace is going to be leisurely, no need to rush.

● In the event of any mechanical problem or injury stop and call the support vehicle if necessary

● Take a puncture repair kit with you as a minimum, ideally take a spare inner tube too.. a pump is essential

● Don't worry about having to wait for red lights, traffic, etc; you won't be left behind.

● Don't just follow the person in front across ANY traffic crossings - always check for yourself that there is a safe gap.

● Watch out for each other and warn of any dangers.

● If you spot any glass, pothole, or other debris in the way, call it out and point at it for others behind you.

● Use hand signals to indicate left/right turns or when you are going to stop.

● Ensure that you have drunk sufficient fluid before leaving and drink regularly during the ride before you feel thirsty

● Make a point of having breakfast and eat regularly during the ride before you feel muscle fatigue

● Take advantage of the rest stops to fill water bottles and recuperate

● Above all, have fun, be the rider others would want to be.

Cheers Gary

Gary, thanks for all the effort you are putting into this, can I make a suggestion?
We already have some T&C's to sign and hand in on the day, could your above list be added to that and save yourself the job of reading it all out.

I was under the impression that the groups were starting off at different times or are they all going off together?

fireball

Visit site
How many participants are there?
If a large group and 30 bullet points to get across a verbal safety briefing could fall short without a leaflet to hand out as well.
By the time you get half way down that list some will be on their mobiles, some having a *** and others already heading off.
There is a sailing school boat next to ours in Clarence Marina and we have a verbal sweepstake on when it will leave. They go through every item above and below decks before they head out. You can see the boredom and loss of interest on the clients faces. Rarely is it before midday before they leave and occasionally having done the briefing they then have lunch before they set off.

Well - this is a bit different to a commercial sailing school or charter - it's not a paid for event, riders are on their own bikes and will already have experience of riding on the road.
Sportive companies do have T&Cs and advice they send out in advance, but on the day the brief is very short - reminding riders of the key points.

Talulah

Visit site
Well - this is a bit different to a commercial sailing school or charter - it's not a paid for event, riders are on their own bikes and will already have experience of riding on the road.
Sportive companies do have T&Cs and advice they send out in advance, but on the day the brief is very short - reminding riders of the key points.

Hardly 'very short'.
The OP states "Key safety briefing issued to all participants verbally on the day"
There is no point in having some of those items to be issued verbally on the day.
Specifically:

OK to list them for riders to read before hand but on the day may just be 'too late'. May be better to say "I hope you read and took in the Safety Briefing notes that were issued in advance."

Last edited:

fireball

Visit site
Hardly 'very short'.
That was in reference to the sportive co's safety brief ..
The OP states "Key safety briefing issued to all participants verbally on the day"
There is no point in having some of those items to be issued verbally on the day.
Specifically:

OK to list them for riders to read before hand but on the day may just be 'too late'. May be better to say "I hope you read and took in the Safety Briefing notes that were issued in advance."
fair point ... but TBH, this is still a "mates ride" and if the OP wants to read this out to feel like he's covering his arse then he's welcome to do so - it's not as though he's doing this on a daily basis - but I can imagine the ribbing our cycling club chairman would get if he did this at the beginning of each club ride - we're lucky to get a "come on let's go" ... ;) - and who knows where we're going!

rafiki_

Visit site
Excellent points Gary, and well done for getting this up and running. It might be sensible to pop onto a word or PDF doc, and add it to the disclaimer?

I have so far received 2 disclaimers from Elessar and DJE. I'm happy for people to bring on the day, but I don't want a stack of paperwork to carry with me on the bike, as I have enough baggage to carry around as it is. I will take a check list.

P4Paul

Visit site
Excellent points Gary, and well done for getting this up and running. It might be sensible to pop onto a word or PDF doc, and add it to the disclaimer?

I have so far received 2 disclaimers from Elessar and DJE. I'm happy for people to bring on the day, but I don't want a stack of paperwork to carry with me on the bike, as I have enough baggage to carry around as it is. I will take a check list.

Oops, sorry, I forgot all about them, is a scanned copy OK or could you PM me an address and I will post them to you.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

Will sort in advance too.... is a signed copy via email OK?... if so, will need an address!