Ryanair- more backwards progress

Laser310

Visit site
I have flown Ryanair - and while it was many years ago, it was fine.

but, they are clearly operating on the "gotcha" business method - the fare is low, but then they set up a number of hoops through which one must jump to avoid highly punitive add-on charges. not all hoops apply to all travellers.., but chances are at least one will.

I know that I am not the type of person to do the research needed to avoid getting hung up on one of these hoops.

Because of that I mostly choose not to fly on the super-discount airlines. This is not to say that the more established carriers don't also have hoops - they do, but I think they are more obvious and I am less likely to get hung up one. I probably pay a bit more in the end, but can relax when i travel.

Cheery

Visit site
I agree with all of that. We flew as a family of 5 with RA in September and there were 2 desks for 6 destinations. Absolute chaos at Manchester Airport, including having to check holdalls at another desk after all that pallaver. It took from 05.05 to 07.05 meaning we couldn't get anything to eat or drink as we were departing at 07.45.

In November SWMBO and I flew with Jet2, arrived 06.30 for 09.00 departure. Plenty of staff, one of whom said my A5 boarding pass was a bit small (trying to save the environment), so he went away and printed 2 passes at no extra cost. We were in the restuarant area 1 hour after leaving home. Whether it is the new terminal 2 which made the difference I have no idea but I will pay the extra from now on and travel with anyone but RA. I had used them a fair bit in the late 90s flying to Dublin but hadn't done so since, just listening to regular criticisms on here and elsewhere. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and they failed.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I agree with all of that. We flew as a family of 5 with RA in September and there were 2 desks for 6 destinations. Absolute chaos at Manchester Airport, including having to check holdalls at another desk after all that pallaver. It took from 05.05 to 07.05 meaning we couldn't get anything to eat or drink as we were departing at 07.45.

In November SWMBO and I flew with Jet2, arrived 06.30 for 09.00 departure. Plenty of staff, one of whom said my A5 boarding pass was a bit small (trying to save the environment), so he went away and printed 2 passes at no extra cost. We were in the restuarant area 1 hour after leaving home. Whether it is the new terminal 2 which made the difference I have no idea but I will pay the extra from now on and travel with anyone but RA. I had used them a fair bit in the late 90s flying to Dublin but hadn't done so since, just listening to regular criticisms on here and elsewhere. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and they failed.
As ive said before, know their rules and abide by them. RA advised to get their 2.5 hours before flight, we did. At MAN this time the hold check in was full of dumbos, they hadnt a clue. They were standing in a line not knowing what to do waiting to get the girls at the desk to weigh them in, despite signs explaing what to do everywhere. We grabbed a spare weighing machine, checked the bags in.
We were aware that Mrs D SUPB was in a soft bag so would have to go up the stairs after weighing and tagging, all soft bags are done like this. Nothing to do with RA.
I book the return flight first to confuse their algorithm so their computer wont bump the going out up, then go to approx a month before and pick the cheapest day and time. I know that in the terms and conditions just before you pay the gotcha with auto euro exchange is hidden their so uncheck it, (My Clarity card gives a much better exchange rate)
I dont buy seats, leave it till about 8 hours before to check in. The middle seats are full then and if the flight is full, then the legroom seats (last to sell) are ours for free!
Then board with a little soft bag for under the seat and switch off for 3 hours.
I take soft baps with nice fillings and choccy biscuits. Buy an expensive but nice coffee to go with them. Jobs a good un.

Bobc

Visit site
Just checked in for tomorrow's flight and am told electronic boarding passes are no longer valid for travellers with non-EU id and they must be printed.
I know a lot of peeps do this anyway but for me it's a right PITA as I often fly directly after disembarking a boat.
Good news is they will print it for you at the airport for a bargainaceous £20. That's if you've already checked in on line, otherwise £55?
View attachment 129787
From the Ryanair website today:-

Does Ryanair offer mobile boarding passes and who can use them?
Yes. We accept mobile boarding passes on flights from the majority of airports on our network. Mobile boarding passes are available to EU/EEA/UK Nationals. Eligible customers must hold a valid passport or national identity card issued by the government of a EEA country or UK, and must be departing from an airport that will accept a mobile boarding pass.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
From the Ryanair website today:-

Does Ryanair offer mobile boarding passes and who can use them?
Yes. We accept mobile boarding passes on flights from the majority of airports on our network. Mobile boarding passes are available to EU/EEA/UK Nationals. Eligible customers must hold a valid passport or national identity card issued by the government of a EEA country or UK, and must be departing from an airport that will accept a mobile boarding pass.

Good to know that you can be absolutely certain that they will probably be accepted. :D

Bobc

Visit site
Good to know that you can be absolutely certain that they will probably be accepted. :D
There is a list of the places where mobile boarding passes are not accepted, which is below:-

We accept mobile boarding passes on flights from the majority of airports on our network.
However unfortunately some airports cannot accept mobile boarding passes yet, these airports are:

Turkey

Morocco

Israel

Lebanon

Also the following airport does not accept mobile boarding passes:

Kefalonia

syvictoria

Visit site
There is a list of the places where mobile boarding passes are not accepted, which is below:-

We accept mobile boarding passes on flights from the majority of airports on our network.
However unfortunately some airports cannot accept mobile boarding passes yet, these airports are:

Turkey

Morocco

Israel

Lebanon

Also the following airport does not accept mobile boarding passes:

Kefalonia

A very short list, to be fair.