RYA rudeness

Pump-Out

Visit site
I was in the vicinity of the RYA HQ recently.
The new logo on the oitside of the building is a (loose) quadrant of blue and green.

Nothing that suggests yachting or boating; yes, they have retained the three letters in the middle but, otherwise, no indication of being the maritime lead that they are supposed to be.

capnsensible

Visit site
I was in the vicinity of the RYA HQ recently.
The new logo on the oitside of the building is a (loose) quadrant of blue and green.

Nothing that suggests yachting or boating; yes, they have retained the three letters in the middle but, otherwise, no indication of being the maritime lead that they are supposed to be.
When the office was in Woking in the 1970's it wasn't particularly lit up in a blaze of promotion either.....

Neeves

Visit site
I've had that type of curtesy message from a different organisation, might have neen the NT.
Makes me wonder how much verbal abuse they get over the phone. I mainly blame the automated messages saying your call is very important, we are very busy at the moment (get that when ever you ring) and then an increasing list of options which comes after "have you looked at our website which has the majority of answers to your question". The website hasn't answered my question hence the phone call ....
Little different in Australia.

To be told to check a website - means you are being treated as a child (why provide a telephone number if you are not prepared to support it). Told to be polite, again is treating you like a child and/or - the implication is you will be aggressive.

Both instructions are likely to raise the ire of the sort of person who might be abusive - which all seems to be self defeating.

Makes no sense

If they are subject to abuse - maybe one suggestion might be to wonder why...and address that or those issues. I really cannot see that many people ring companies/organisations at random, or focussed, intending to be abusive (but maybe I lead a sheltered life).

The people who seem to think the OP is being harsh (I confess I have not noticed any here being abusive) - he's the sort of person who they need to make a financial contribution - encourage enough of people like him - maybe they could employ people to answer phones - or has the UK achieved record low unemployment levels.

Little different in Australia - obviously the management consultants have the same message.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
I had a look at the RYA survey

Can someone explain to me what is the reasoning behind the last question - what ethnic background and colour do you 'come from'?

Jonathan

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I had a look at the RYA survey

Can someone explain to me what is the reasoning behind the last question - what ethnic background and colour do you 'come from'?

Jonathan

The reason is metrics to help to understand why the data trends, or skews a certain way. If the skew has a strong correlation with race, that may be an indicator why, or it may not be.

You have the option not to say what race, gender or age you are.

Neeves

Visit site
Do they ask about your requirement for pronouns?
Yes they offer a question on gender, or not - what they seem to ask is what role should they play and surely they don't need a survey to define that.

As an outsider looking in they appear to make it difficult to access a real person and want the interface between the public, specifically its members (the people who fund the organisation), to be the website and they really don't want person to person contact. They appear to assume anyone contacting them will be rude and abusive - and in true Imperial manner - send a warning shot across the bow who ever you are as their welcoming message..

Strangely no-one has defended the organisation's interface with Zoidberg and no-one has questioned the RYA's activities (which is the focus of the survey).

So no-one questions what the RYA does and no-one defends how it approaches (wrong word - distances itself?) from its public.

I don't know how representative are the members of YBW, specifically Scuttlebutt, to the RYA but the survey does not address any of the issues raised on this thread. The fond idea that the RYA might read this thread is hardly fond - maybe totally unrealistic :(

Jonathan

benjenbav

Visit site
Yes they offer a question on gender, or not - what they seem to ask is what role should they play and surely they don't need a survey to define that.

As an outsider looking in they appear to make it difficult to access a real person and want the interface between the public, specifically its members (the people who fund the organisation), to be the website and they really don't want person to person contact. They appear to assume anyone contacting them will be rude and abusive - and in true Imperial manner - send a warning shot across the bow who ever you are as their welcoming message..

Strangely no-one has defended the organisation's interface with Zoidberg and no-one has questioned the RYA's activities (which is the focus of the survey).

So no-one questions what the RYA does and no-one defends how it approaches (wrong word - distances itself?) from its public.

I don't know how representative are the members of YBW, specifically Scuttlebutt, to the RYA but the survey does not address any of the issues raised on this thread. The fond idea that the RYA might read this thread is hardly fond - maybe totally unrealistic :(

Jonathan
I’m afraid that it’s not untypical for large organisations in the UK to give the impression that they would prefer the interface to be via the website and it’s routine to have to hunt around for a working telephone number; calling which tends to be followed by a message that owing to a high volume of calls (perhaps in proportion to the number of staff dedicated to answering them) the caller can expect a delay and - here’s a thought - maybe try to find what they want on the website or download an app. Etc…

Perhaps the human touch is still present in Australian bureaucracy?