RYA rudeness

ylop

Visit site
The constitution was changed and the government appointed a quota of board members. If National Sporting Bodies (not just RYA) did not change their constitutions from 'by the members for the members', then they would not qualify for Lottery Funding due to accountability. With government interference came inclusion and diversity etc. On the 2 conferences I have attended with the new CEO, these were the main thrust of the presentation.
a reason why they are now 'all set up that way?
Nothing like letting the facts get in the way of the story! The articles (essentially company constitution) define how directors are appointed, they are appointed by the membership. Those directors can then chose to appoint additional directors. They do appoint independent directors for good governance - they aren’t appointed by the government. Essentially they will be people who aren’t deeply entrenched in the ways of the RYA who’s job it is to point out when the RYA is doing stupid/bad stuff that might look normal to those on the inside but seems odd to the rest.

https://assetbank-eu-west-1.s3.eu-w...0245a4d4c60672387feda6dd4a847cf372a532ea27a30

A: You clearly haven't met me, or anyone like me.
I’ve met lots of people just like you! Overly sensitive and easily offended if the world isn’t just to their liking!
B: You've clearly had some 'reading comprehension difficulties'.
No, perhaps you need to learn what an interrogative verb is if you think:
so I could ascertain where to send a Letter of Thanks.
Where to send something is not a question.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Could you please explain that to us lesser mortals.

If folks were not hectoring the RYA, because they are too immature to conduct a conversation without being aggressive, these systems would not be needed. If you do not understand hectoring, use a dictionary.

These automatic answering systems are very common. A mature person just lets it run and when finished, gets on with the objective of the call. A precious, over sensitive and immature person gets angry and indignant.

Last edited:

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I don't tend to get offended by recorded requests to be polite, as I know that they're not directed at me - they're just for the type of person who tends to fly into a rage about some minor aspect of a service and take out their anger on the poor soul who answers the phone. Sadly there are a lot of people like that out there.
As for the answerphone thing, it sounds like someone got a bit tangled up recording it and spoke at the wrong moment. Could happen to the best of us...

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I have noticed that these days, more often than not, phoning the RYA does result in an answering machine. I also experience emails being unanswered, on coding queries. It hasn’t always been like this. My experience is limited to a few communications a year, so it may not be representative.

Stemar

Visit site
If folks were not hectoring the RYA, because they are too immature to conduct a conversation without being aggressive, these systems would not be needed. If you do not understand hectoring, use a dictionary.
That rather begs the question as to why people are getting aggressive on the phone.

While I don't subscribe to the "customer is always right" - in my experience, they're more likely to be wrong, and the more aggressive a certain type of person is, the weaker their case - most people start out reasonable and something has to happen to wind them up. Some organisations seem to be specifically designed to do that (looking at you, HMRC), but I reckon the RYA must be doing something pretty wrong if people are mad before they get to speak to a human.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
That rather begs the question as to why people are getting aggressive on the phone.

While I don't subscribe to the "customer is always right" - in my experience, they're more likely to be wrong, and the more aggressive a certain type of person is, the weaker their case - most people start out reasonable and something has to happen to wind them up. Some organisations seem to be specifically designed to do that (looking at you, HMRC), but I reckon the RYA must be doing something pretty wrong if people are mad before they get to speak to a human.

They might not be getting anything wrong? It’s just an automated answering service, before directing the call elsewhere. Perhaps the RYA doesn’t receive a high proportion of angry calls. One persons opinion is not necessarily the demonstration of a trend.

Boathook

Visit site
They might not be getting anything wrong? It’s just an automated answering service, before directing the call elsewhere. Perhaps the RYA doesn’t receive a high proportion of angry calls. One persons opinion is not necessarily the demonstration of a trend.
To my mind the trend seems to be adding messages about being polite. Half the agro is caused by the automated telephone systems themselves.
Internet is good, but I quite often can't find the answer and have to ring and the automated systems drive me mad !

Bouba

Visit site
I had only just got to know the wife...and had no idea of her temper...until she was stuck on a recorded loop...and that telephone flew across the room 🥺😳😱

zoidberg

Visit site
In the old days, when the Yacht Racing Association was run by 'Commander Anderson and The Two Brigadiers', dropping in on them was often a pleasure. That trio really knew how to make one feel like a supplicant and not a customer, with the most exquisite of oblique put-downs.

e.g. "You're a member of this Cruising Committee not to represent your association's interests to the RYA, but to represent the RYA's interests to your association."

One chairman of an RYA committee, a Gloucestershire farmer, was much given to mentioning his intermittent encounters with HRH The RYA President in the back-lanes near where he lived. During a committee discussion on a decline in membership, one wag mentioned in a loud whisper that 'The RYA Council seems to comprise two kinds of Members - those who wear yellow wellies and those who wear green wellies!"

Then there was the now well-worn "If I want your opinion, young Zoidberg, I'll give it to you."

ImpImp

Visit site
I don't disagree, however if it was a serious and recurring problem I can understand why an organisation might want to go down this route.

Tackling why the customers were so upset should of course have a similar priority....

'If' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

srm

Visit site
If I understand correctly the OP phoned the RYA to ensure that a letter of thanks was correctly routed.

Perhaps, all the negative comments this post has attracted helps explain why the RYA decided all callers need a lesson in good manners before being allowed to speak to a human.

Perhaps, taking an initial combative stance has become very much a British attitude. Having spent time in the Azores I noticed the polite formality of Portuguese conversations with officialdom, be it a customs officer or a shop assistant. Treating others with respect seems to be the norm here.

ctva

Visit site
If I understand correctly the OP phoned the RYA to ensure that a letter of thanks was correctly routed.

Perhaps, all the negative comments this post has attracted helps explain why the RYA decided all callers need a lesson in good manners before being allowed to speak to a human.

Perhaps, taking an initial combative stance has become very much a British attitude. Having spent time in the Azores I noticed the polite formality of Portuguese conversations with officialdom, be it a customs officer or a shop assistant. Treating others with respect seems to be the norm here.
No, I have not seen any negative comments EXCEPT on the poor phone message that the RYA have which puts a lot of backs up and causes the issue!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
But you were speaking to a fellow human being not a computer generated voice on a telephone. Which I think is @zoidberg 's grip given that the RYA is a member organisation and should be the 'human face of Olympic Racing in the UK'.

Sorry, I could not resist as I did not renew my membership as I felt the RYA is no longer representing the UK sailing community. See post #4.