RYA Helmans Course

Paul&Ness

Visit site
Hi All, I have been a member of the Forum for a while and have found it to be a great source of knowledge in the build up to me buying my first Motorboat. Having recently completed on the purchase of our new, to us, 'Princess 368', 1992, we are looking forward to being active members of the forum and equally active cruisers :)

As well as a full survey and an additional engine survey by VaSi (2 x cummins 6BTA5.9 M2 engines) we have changed the carpets and the curtains, installed new Garmin Radar, chart plotters and numerous other bits and pieces in order to stamp our identity on her. Currently called 'Fenland Dancer', a bit of a mouthful when spelling phonetically so we may change her name in due course but I am struggling to find a name that fits the boat and her new crew. I recently enjoyed the pleasure of antifouling her bottom and thankfully I had a willing helper so it turned out to be not as onerous a job as it could have been. She was lifted back into the water a couple of weeks ago and since then we have polished her to within an inch of her bulkhead linings and for an old girl she is looking really good, even though I say it myself... The previous owner had had her for about twelve years and had done a good job of looking after her so it made our job a lot easier. Still a list of things to do but I am looking forward to working my way through the list, which I know will continue to grow, and watching her develop into our home on the water.

I served 24 years in the Royal Navy, man and boy, and have always enjoyed being on, under and near the water. After sailing dinghies for many years, off and on, up and down Southampton Water, Plymouth Sound and on various lakes it's quite a jump up to a twin engined MB but we could, so we did :)

My wife is much more into horses but has mucked in and is taking to it like the proverbial duck...

So being new to MB's we booked and have, this last weekend, started our education in becoming responsible boat owners by undertaking the RYA Helmsman's course under the excellent tuition of Dave Luetchford of 5 Star Marine. Dave was a true star throughout the two day course, he passed on so much more than was laid down in the syllabus and left us on Sunday evening a lot more confident about the purchase of our MB and has given us the confidence to go out and enjoy our time on the water. We'll continue our education with Dave over the next few months, year etc so that our adventures can take us beyond the Solent :encouragement:

Ragnahex

Visit site
glad to see a happy new boat owner. I am in pretty much the same state you were except i still have to bring the other half round to the idea! This forum is helping me lots in the learning curve

lionelz

Visit site
Its important to spread the word :) about these good courses.

I hope you have a great time on the water with the new boat, and I hope to see you on the solent in the next few weeks

Paul&Ness

Visit site
I'm probably guilty of not always shouting loud enough about those things that should be praised. Really happy with the service provided by Dave, 5 Star Marine will be getting more business form us on the basis that Dave delivered much more than was required of the syllabus and being new to motor boating we want as much information as possible.

We hope to be out on the water as much as possible consolidating our new skills so I hope to see a great many forumites out there. We'll be the ones with big smiles on out faces :)