RYA Coastal / YMaster

Shearwater

Visit site
Years ago I did the theory for a Coastal Skipper and practical and now have a Cert Of Comp. Since then burglars stole my papers and age is stealing some of the little grey cells; I now want to re-do the theory and do some serious passage making practical sailing - I want to be frightened but I want to survive. I'm thinking a correspondence course would suit me (I don't live in UK) and would welcome input and pionters from similar folk...... have you done it this way? How did you get on?
Rgds Colin.

RufusM

Visit site
With having some experience found correspondence courses lacking - go to nighclass for a thorough understanding! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

RufusM

Visit site
just noticed Costa Dorada - do they have nighclass or is it just nightclubs!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
I found NMCS very good. I was living in France at the time, and I found the support was excellent.

I think that you will find that other forumites have different views, hopefully depending on personal experiences, and will recommend other distance learning courses.

I just happen to have been satisfied with NMCS.

RufusM

Visit site
Why bother!
- well wasted £400 on NMCS overcomplicated and full of padding in their material.

Make your own mind up but i'm Y/Mstr and hv been for many yrs,

Best of luck

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
[ QUOTE ]
To Malcb Thank you - I looked at them via a google; they do
look very good. I'll consider them along with the other suggestions. Did you pass and gp onto the practical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I did pass.

I think that their material takes you beyond what the minimum requirement is for the exam, so the exam seems easy.

If you are abroad they supply all of the course up front, so there are no delays caused by the postal system, which does mean that you don't have to wait for an assessment to be returned before you continue. (Other correspondence courses may do the same), Also you can , I believe, send in course work over the internet.

I'll be doing my Practical YM this year as I've just completed a 500+ mile trip to La Rochelle to complete my pre-course practical experience