RYA and e-borders

Moonshiners

www.speedandstrip.co.uk
Isn't the solution (like ID cards - which they still havn't been able to offer an explantion of how it's water tight) explain how it will actually work with the exceptions - if a 6M rib comes accross the channel without papers to the Solent, how will they actualy identify said Rib, especially when he enters the Solent in Cowes week withoput having to ID every boat out there to pick him out it would be impossible. Some say they could pick him up mid channel, but how long does it take to work out he's the "odd one out" and not another similar looking Rib/Engine etc... with papers...

By the time they're realised he doesn't have papers, he'd already be holed up in a flat on Benefit.

- Until they can explain how the situation is workable it has to be deemed unworkable and a waste of time...

I'll concider pro's and con's once someone can PROVE to me it's a workable solution relevant to the offenders.

st599

Visit site
Can see it now - the entire Fastnet fleet impounded for getting their finishing times wrong on the form in advance.

st599

Visit site
Hmmm, I feel a Freedom of information Act request coming on?

Anyone got any good, hard questions to ask UK Borders?

sky7liner

Visit site
Anyone got any good, hard questions to ask UK Borders?

As a starter I'd suggest getting somebody who knows how to use statistics to look at the statement quoted above re:75 million checked. It's a bit like the nonsense that everybody has to go through now to open a bank account. Has this cut the amount of money laundering that goes on? I doubt it.

The figures quoted about so many rapists and a murderer having been caught avoid stating that these people would not have been caught without e-borders. I'll bet e-borders hasn't actually made any difference at all.

Politicians are in the game of being seen to be doing something even if it's a waste of time. Hitting the boating community is an easy option.

And remember, these days you can get massive budgets approved if you include the word 'anti-terrorism' in the title of the proposal asking for the money. So the civil servants win as well because they're building up their empire.

cnh

Visit site
The East Germans had a very effective way of policing their borders. No 'peadophiles or terrorists' for them! Mind you, it meant shooting a few people - but they did have secure borders.

jenku

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The East Germans had a very effective way of policing their borders. No 'peadophiles or terrorists' for them! Mind you, it meant shooting a few people - but they did have secure borders.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also had basically no pleasure boating. Just ban yachting, problem solved. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
The is a certain famous peadophile who lived for a time in the far east, owned a yacht, sold it to his friend but has access to it moored on the south coast. He was recently was refused a long weekend in Europe so the rules obviously have been created to cover such and eventuality.

So if you see a very bald 65 year old wearing a wig winging it over to France . . . . . ! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Do you wanna be in my boat, my boat, my boat. Do ya wanna be in my boat - MY BOAT.

matelot

Visit site
quote " Population growth is the biggest challenge facing this country, far worse then the current economic crisis. "

The two are inter related. In particular population growth is the price you are paying for keeping roughly the same sort of retirement dates. As we start work later and retire earlier we have shorter working lives. Yet we live longer so those shorter working lives have to earn enough for a lot longer non working life. The only answer is pop growth.

The focus of all our politics is about spending money. Every interest group has the hand out. You never hear discussion of exports and earning our living on TV do you?

cnh

Visit site
Paradoxically, I was told by an East German engineer who also sails that back in the days of the DDR, the Wednesday regatta in Stralsund was much bigger. When I asked why, he said that the DDR encouraged sporting activities (remember the East German 'lady' weightlifters?), and so they were given time off to race.

But ... Lenseman ... ' He was recently was refused a long weekend in Europe so the rules obviously have been created to cover such and eventuality.' Who refused him? On what grounds? And would he be more dangerous in say Alderney than in Portsmouth?

NormanS

Visit site
[The UK border is the channel.

Is that a fact? What happens when I sail from here in Scotland, over to, say, Norway?

Or is your quote just for parochial minded southern English?

JohnRob

Visit site
How about putting some infrastructure in place, ie internet access along all coasts, accept data at short notice (ie within hour or so of departure) and accept itinerary changes on arrival? Or submission of limited data by sms (name, passport country of issue & no)?

How about a bit of risk weighting? Eg filing on an exception basis. ie if you are British and travelling with family or friends that you can vouch for then you have no need to file on re-entry to UK. If you do not hold British passport or if you are carrying non-British passengers that you cannot vouch for, then you file. Several years at hm leisure parks for omission (except for administrative errors of course)

Create a few more jobs for uniforms whizzing around in Botnia Targas checking arrivals - sorry, make that a nice British boat and hey presto!

Oh and why not confiscate the vessels involved as well. No new laws required, I'm sure the anti-terrorism laws will suffice (Landsbanki assets?). Pick up a few fast ones and they won't need to buy those Botnia Targas.

Not entirely serious, but surely there needs to be some sensible consultation before money is committed to this?

ItS

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[The UK border is the channel.

Is that a fact? What happens when I sail from here in Scotland, over to, say, Norway?

Or is your quote just for parochial minded southern English?

[/ QUOTE ]argh, come now, that is the bbc england, the rest of us live on different seas as well. Learn to ignore it, the majority of the rest of us English do!

mcframe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

There would be justifiable outcry if known terrorists, peadophiles and the like could enter the UK without let or hindrance. Watch lists and other early e-borders initiatives have made a significant contribution to the security of our borders and have indeed been instrumental in many cases where, without song or dance, undesirables have been prevented from entering the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grr.

How many of those enter the UK on small red-flagged vessels?

(Offer me a white, and I'll sign up for Dynamo)

mcframe

Visit site
<does a bit of reading>

I've got a bit of (formerly blue, now sadly burgundy) paper that "Requests and requires in the the name of HM.. the bearer to pass freely without let or hinderance".

If I'm on the way out, they can FRO; On the way in, I show that (if asked), then go home.

Problem solved.

Seriously; it *can't* happen - someone *must* see sense or it will be the SOLAS I'm-on-a-drying-mooing-and-run-around-twice-a-day gold-plating, again.

Now, where was I gonna go this w/e?
Emsworth, Bembridge, Cowes or Cherboug?
Guess I'd better fill in a form to cover all eventualities....