Rust in Elbow

garry_

Visit site
Hi all.
Does any one have a trick to remove a RUST BALL from inside a exhaust ELBOW.

This problem is restricting the water flow from the heat exchanger to the exhaust outlet.

It has increased the cooling operating temperature at full load.
The part is installed on a Ford Lehman 135sp Diesel engine.

Would like to try to remove the rust first, because the replacement Part is quite expensive over here in the U.S.A.

Does any one out there in the boating world have a used one at the right price.

Thanks to any one for ideas.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Many moons ago. I used to use cuastic soda to clean out the radiators of my cars and the expansion chambers of my motorbikes. Dunno if you can use it on that though. Whats it made of?

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

David2452

Visit site
If it's cast iron a good soak inMuriatic acid (32% Hrdacloric acid) will do the trick, it's available from plumbers merchants as cast ron boiler descaler.

Good luck

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Be very careful with the elbow as the formation of the rust ball will have weakend the elbow itself...ours looked perfectly OK from the outside then gave it a twist to remove it from the hose and it just crumbled. Quite a large chunk of cast iron gone through in 5 years.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Is this surface rust on the inside of the elbow, or a solid lump of rust that is wedged in the elbow?

I ask because I recently found what looked like a lump of rusty metal in my heat exchanger exhaust outlet. It was a mystery where it had come from, as the elbow is made of aluminium. Possibly it was dirt and carbonised oily waste, but it was hard as rusty metal. I detached the elbow from the heat exchanger and resorted to a combination of chiselling, drilling and attacking with a hack-saw blade from both ends until enough was removed to allow the rest to fall out. The engine has been run for several months since, with no obvious ill effects.

<hr width=100% size=1>

garry_

Visit site
Hi Andrew.
You asked if this is solid rust.
Yes, it is attached to the cast iron elbow.
The manifactor as replaced it with a slainless steel type.
That's why it is so expensive.

Thanks for your thought's

Garry

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
Gary, be very careful if you try to chip/chisel it out, I have a Perkins Perama which had an almost totally blocked/carbon choked Cast Iron exhaust elbow. I removed it to the workbench and promptly poked a screwdriver straight through the casting! The effects of the exhaust gases, hot salt water etc had made the cast iron very weak. I fitted a Volvo Penta type as replacement(which was actually cheaper then the Perkins!).
Try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.asapsupplies.com>http://www.asapsupplies.com</A> for a possible replacement or perhaps it may be cheaper to get one fabricated locally.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif