Rushing around has got to stop

kunyang

Visit site
So we crossed Biscay in June and we're heading for Cartengha for the winter. Currently in Nazire. I think we're travelling too much and need to slow down. Where should we head for, for the winter. Any advise greatfully received. Dave (Spindrift of Hamble)

multihullsailor6

Visit site
Dave,
Carthagena is a great place for the winter period - have spent two winters there.
The hard part, the Bay of Biscay, is behind you and you should now be able to enjoy your cruising. You don't need to rush it, if you're in Cartagena at the end of October or even later that's fine, I arrived from Gibraltar on February 2nd.
After Lagos. do stop at Alvor, 2M to the east - a great and safe lagoon.

GrahamM376

Visit site
So we crossed Biscay in June and we're heading for Cartengha for the winter. Currently in Nazire. I think we're travelling too much and need to slow down. Where should we head for, for the winter. Any advise greatfully received. Dave (Spindrift of Hamble)

Next stop from Nazare, if weather settled anchor in 15m off the Berlenga Island (about 5nm off Peniche) nature reserve, excellent dive site and can dinghy into the caves. From there, Cascais anchorage, can dinghy into the marina/town. Lots of trains along the estuary to Lisbon but suggest get off at Belem as well, lots to see around there. Cascais to Sines easy day hop and can anchor and dinghy into marina. Sines down to one of two anchorages, Enseada do Beliche, immediately around Cape St Vincent if north or easterly or Enseada do Sagres if weather from the west or north. From there, it's maybe Lagos and slowly along the Algarve.

If wintering in Spain out of the water, check you're allowed to work on the boat and sleep aboard, it's not allowed in many marinas/yards.

Last edited:

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>You don't need to rush it, if you're in Cartagena at the end of October or even later that's fine

Hurricane season starts in June so kunyang needs to keep well south all the way to avoid the hurricanes however at that time of year expect gales+ 100 nms out when sailing to Cartagena. This happened to two American yachts we know who were sailing back the other way. My advice would be spend hurricane season in Trinidad then set off to Cartagena.

Stingo

Visit site
>You don't need to rush it, if you're in Cartagena at the end of October or even later that's fine

Hurricane season starts in June so kunyang needs to keep well south all the way to avoid the hurricanes however at that time of year expect gales+ 100 nms out when sailing to Cartagena. This happened to two American yachts we know who were sailing back the other way. My advice would be spend hurricane season in Trinidad then set off to Cartagena.
Wake up at the back of the class. They are still in Portugal.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Have I had to much sun to day followed by too many beers, Hurricane season ?? TRinidad ?? some up turn the world up side down .

rotrax

Visit site

The OP is about Cartagena Spain, not the Columbian Cartagena........................

richardh10

Visit site

I hear what you say, but I think we may be going too slow! We started from Ipswich at the end of March, and we've only got as far as Dartmouth!
In fact I think we saw Spindrift somewhere.....Brighton maybe or Lymington?
Anyway, we will be crossing to Brittany in a couple of weeks, and I think overwinter in n.spain. Cadiz maybe, people seem to think it is nice there. Maybe we will catch up some time, but you will have to slow down, and we will have to speed up.

SteveSarabande

Visit site
I hear what you say, but I think we may be going too slow! We started from Ipswich at the end of March, and we've only got as far as Dartmouth!
In fact I think we saw Spindrift somewhere.....Brighton maybe or Lymington?
Anyway, we will be crossing to Brittany in a couple of weeks, and I think overwinter in n.spain. Cadiz maybe, people seem to think it is nice there. Maybe we will catch up some time, but you will have to slow down, and we will have to speed up.
Cadiz is in Southern Spain

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The OP is about Cartagena Spain, not the Columbian Cartagena........................

I listened to a conversation recently between 2 vessels not far from Cartagena, Spain. One was leaving and was somewhat confused by the course another was taking and his suggested alteration to avoid a collision.

The vessel which had left Cartagena had obviously checked the other's AIS and kept referring to it's destination as Cartagena. A quick check on my AIS showed the destination was Cartagena but arrival time was wildly out for somewhere only a few miles away. The penny finally dropped and the guy said Ahhh, it's the other Cartagena, that's why you are turning away from the direction I expected.

AIS assisted collision :D Only a couple of weeks ago but I still remember that it made me smile.

GHA

Visit site
Get round St Vincent and it all changes :cool:
Personally, I prefer longish passages then hole up in an area for a while instead of trying to see every harbour and anchorage along the way, it's all nice :)

dslittle

Visit site

Hmmm. You are going MUCH faster than we are. We left in May 2015 and (navigation notwithstanding) we are currently sitting (in beautiful sunshine...) in Raithlin N.I. Anticipate getting down your way by about 2019!!!