Running wires in steel hull

steve

Visit site
The wires are insulated two-wire exterior grade in bundles of three. Have tried little stick-on pads with nylon straps only to watch them gradually plopping off (even the ones stuck on wood). Replaced the sticky stuff with heavy-duty exterior double-sided tape which lasted even less time. The trial-and-error approach seems to bring only errors. Any advice?

G

Have had similar problem myself, sticking similar clips to grp. The only solution I can think of is to try and get hold of the glue that 3M use on their tapes, fixings etc as it is very strong. Haven't managed to track any down yet though!

G

1. Make up some ply ply pads about 35X35mm 8-10mm thick bond to hull using a poyurethane or polysulphide structural adehesive. Screw the nylon / plastic cable ties to the pad.

or

2 As you have a steel hull weld / braze studding directly to hull then use P clips bolted on to studs to support cables. (Of course you will have to touch the paint up afterwards :))

andyball

Visit site
You can buy cable tie bases with an epoxy resin type sticky bit....I imagine it's a two part blob that you knead before application. They should stick to most anything that a hull might be made of.

I've seen them in electrical/electronics catalogues, and in garden centres, for fixing plants to walls.

G

This was covered in a post to this forum a few months ago and the idea that came up was a hot glue gun. I know that this also sticks to anything so may be worth a try. I haven't given it a go myself. Might save a bucket of money as well!