Running engine with shore power connected

Rich T

Visit site
I can only suggest that there's something wrong with your charger. There should be no need ever to disconnect shorepower before starting the engine.
Well if there is it’s been faulty from new ! Sorry to me it comes down to simple ohms law. You connect two sources in parallel as happens when the powered charger is on and connected to the battery a proportion of the load current must come from both sources. The amount obviously depends on the relative resistance of the supply leads but if my charger output fuse is 15A and the total load is well over 100A at initial start it is easy to see how it pops it’s clogs!

lw395

Visit site
Some old school car battery chargers are very crude and could easily be damaged either by the current they put into the starter motor, or the inductive spike as the starter motor switches off.
Some shore power units might be something like 13.8V regulated supplies not intended to be rammed up to 14.4V by the alternator.
Personally I think these things should cope.

Or maybe it might be considered bad manners to put the noise of your alternator etc onto the mains? Maybe it's an American thing with petrol engine boats and ignition noise?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Well if there is it’s been faulty from new ! Sorry to me it comes down to simple ohms law. You connect two sources in parallel as happens when the powered charger is on and connected to the battery a proportion of the load current must come from both sources. The amount obviously depends on the relative resistance of the supply leads but if my charger output fuse is 15A and the total load is well over 100A at initial start it is easy to see how it pops it’s clogs!

Sorry, but this is just nonsense. Ohms law has no place here. How do you figure that a starter load of 100a is going through the the chargers 15a fuse.

Visit site
I've never had any problem doing it. I think the technology works out the difference between volts which are always the same wherever they come from (or from wherever they come if one is old school) and amps which are the little buggers which are just looked at as whatever is needed, or not. Faraday would have been either amused or in despair.

GHA

Visit site
So how's that any different to flicking a switch to attach a discharged battery? Chargers only produce so much current, blowing a fuse cos its putting out 100% of rated capacity sounds implausable, bad design not able to cope with a voltage spike maybe.....

Rich T

Visit site
Sorry, but this is just nonsense. Ohms law has no place here. How do you figure that a starter load of 100a is going through the the chargers 15a fuse.
Sorry Paul but I did not say the starter load of 100A was going through the charger. I indicated a PROPORTION of it was, the relevant amount being determined by the resistance of the starter motor cable from the battery and the resistance of the cable from the charger to the battery. Do not try this at home (!) but try connecting a charger across a battery and then shorting the battery terminals with a jump lead. Well apart from a Big Bang and possible burns the output fuse in the charger will obviously blow, you have after all just put a dirty great short across it. To a lesser extent this is what happens when the starter motor is dropped across the battery. A very large initial current flows due to lack of back EMF from the motor and the added load of the pre engaged starter. IF the cables between battery and starter had absolute zero resistance, yes, there would be no possible current flow though the parallel connected charger but in practice of course this does not happen, it only takes a small amount of this total high load to blow any protective fuse in the charger. I agree there should be no reason why running the shoreside charger once the engine is running is really a problem (although not really certain why you would really want to), it’s the initial engine start that can cause problems. Of course if the charger is not powered up, all is well because it is not trying to contribute to the starter supply. Perhaps a higher output charger than the 15A one I have sited could withstand this transient load but it is not possible to say it is totally without problems to run a shoreside supply charger and expect the charger and fusing to survive on initial start up. Again sorry, ohms law is important here, it is after all the basic theory that electronics work on and we all learn on day one in our careers in electronics.

Rich T

Visit site
So how's that any different to flicking a switch to attach a discharged battery? Chargers only produce so much current, blowing a fuse cos its putting out 100% of rated capacity sounds implausable, bad design not able to cope with a voltage spike maybe.....
Completely different scenario. Discharged battery will have residual voltage and present some resistance to current flow. A starter motor is not “soft start” and will present a very high initial load, it is after all why starter motor fuses are rated in hundreds of amps.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Sorry Paul but I did not say the starter load of 100A was going through the charger. I indicated a PROPORTION of it was, the relevant amount being determined by the resistance of the starter motor cable from the battery and the resistance of the cable from the charger to the battery.

You said "if my charger output fuse is 15A and the total load is well over 100A at initial start it is easy to see how it pops it’s clogs! "

The rest is nonsense. The starter will draw the vast majority of its load from the battery, it will take some from the charger, but it can't take any more than the max rating of the charger. If the fuse cannot withstand the max current output of the charger there is something wrong and/or the fuse is under rated.

Do not try this at home (!) but try connecting a charger across a battery and then shorting the battery terminals with a jump lead. Well apart from a Big Bang and possible burns the output fuse in the charger will obviously blow, you have after all just put a dirty great short across it.

Why on Earth would you do that ? It's obvious the fuse would blow, but rather than blowing a battery up, if you really did have to prove to yourself that sort circuiting things blows fuses, why not just short the charger ? better yet, don't short anything.

To a lesser extent this is what happens when the starter motor is dropped across the battery. A very large initial current flows due to lack of back EMF from the motor and the added load of the pre engaged starter. IF the cables between battery and starter had absolute zero resistance, yes, there would be no possible current flow though the parallel connected charger but in practice of course this does not happen, it only takes a small amount of this total high load to blow any protective fuse in the charger. I agree there should be no reason why running the shoreside charger once the engine is running is really a problem (although not really certain why you would really want to), it’s the initial engine start that can cause problems. Of course if the charger is not powered up, all is well because it is not trying to contribute to the starter supply. Perhaps a higher output charger than the 15A one I have sited could withstand this transient load but it is not possible to say it is totally without problems to run a shoreside supply charger and expect the charger and fusing to survive on initial start up. Again sorry, ohms law is important here, it is after all the basic theory that electronics work on and we all learn on day one in our careers in electronics.

This would mean the same if it was typed in an alien language, it's just noise.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Completely different scenario. Discharged battery will have residual voltage and present some resistance to current flow. A starter motor is not “soft start” and will present a very high initial load, it is after all why starter motor fuses are rated in hundreds of amps.

According to your other posts, the flat battery syndrome would likely cause the battery charger to implode. You claim that the starter would draw so much power from the charger it would blow fuses, so with a flat battery it should draw even more from the charger, according to your theory, bang goes the charger. of course, this doesn't actually happen in the real World.

GHA

Visit site
Is it? So a battery connected to a starter has no voltage left across it when the starter motor kicks in? And a charger blows when it's producing 100% of the current it can?
Sounds very implausible.

Rich T

Visit site
According to your other posts, the flat battery syndrome would likely cause the battery charger to implode. You claim that the starter would draw so much power from the charger it would blow fuses, so with a flat battery it should draw even more from the charger, according to your theory, bang goes the charger. of course, this doesn't actually happen in the real World.
To be honest I never indicated “a flat battery would likely cause a battery charger to implode”, although if it (the battery) was unable to supply sufficient starting current a point might be reached where the charger could have problems trying to help and support the load and self protect by tripping its output either by fuse or trip.
Obviously if you connect the starter directly to the charger with no battery connected the output fuse will blow irrespective of the chargers output capacity. My “virtual” example of shorting a battery was (obviously) not to be taken seriously, it was there, I hoped, to put across a simple point. I am sorry you feel some of my comments are simply “noise” but they are based on 50 years of practical work on boats and cars and 40 years work in a university.
Pity we disagree on this. I have always considered your posts and advise one of the few sensible/sane posts we have that battle through the fog of some of the strange electrical/electronic replies we get on this forum. I too am a supporter of the three switch battery scenario, although I do have a VSR fitted last year to my dreaded 1.2.B switch ! Regards, Richard

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
I regularly run the 100amp mastervolt battery charger from the generator when maneuvering into a berth. The bow thruster is a 5kW unit, much bigger than a typical starter motor and runs for much longer. The engine is generally on tickover and not producing very much power and the battery charger provides a bit of extra power to assist the batteries after a long sail when they aren't anywhere near fully charged. It also means I can put the electric kettle on for a much needed brew.:)
I've been doing this for years without causing any faults on the battery charger.
I my case it's an old wives tale.
I think you perhaps mis read the original post ? The Question was, :
" If I forget to disconnect Shore Power, before starting my Engines, can I damage anything ? " If you are maneuvering into a berth, you are not likely to be connected to shore power ? I have no idea , about the modern systems, but , back in the day, if you forgot to disconnect shore power, with the battery charger running, then started your engine, you could risk blowing your alternator diodes , so we were taught .
Perhaps the more modern stuff, is not so sensetive, or automaticly shuts one, or the other down, so nothing burns out .
However, as old school, I am rather paranoid, about unplugging shore power, before starting the engines !

Rich T

Visit site
Is it? So a battery connected to a starter has no voltage left across it when the starter motor kicks in? And a charger blows when it's producing 100% of the current it can?
Sounds very implausible.
Sorry cannot understand your point here at all...
Of course the battery still has a voltage across it, it will drop depending on the load and the health of the battery. Connect a charger in parallel with that battery and depending on the relevant resistance of the cabling and the initial terminal voltage of the battery, the battery will indeed support the majority of the load with some help from the charger. The charger continues to contribute up to 100% of what it can support. Let’s suppose the resistance of the charger cables match those of the battery/starter cable (unlikely I know), then an equal amount of current will try and flow from the charger and battery. The static starter motor is virtually a short circuit and has the capability of drawing more than the chargers 100% output. So it blows its fuse....my equal resistance example I appreciate is an exaggeration but depending on relevant resistances and battery voltages a point can be reached (as in my installation) where the charger will self protect and trip it’s output.
Going back to my original point a discharged battery presents a much lower load than a starter motor!

GHA

Visit site
Sorry cannot understand your point here at all...
Of course the battery still has a voltage across it, it will drop depending on the load and the health of the battery. Connect a charger in parallel with that battery and depending on the relevant resistance of the cabling and the initial terminal voltage of the battery, the battery will indeed support the majority of the load with some help from the charger. The charger continues to contribute up to 100% of what it can support. Let’s suppose the resistance of the charger cables match those of the battery/starter cable (unlikely I know), then an equal amount of current will try and flow from the charger and battery. The static starter motor is virtually a short circuit and has the capability of drawing more than the chargers 100% output. So it blows its fuse....my equal resistance example I appreciate is an exaggeration but depending on relevant resistances and battery voltages a point can be reached (as in my installation) where the charger will self protect and trip it’s output.
Going back to my original point a discharged battery presents a much lower load than a starter motor!
That just sounds weird. So I have a severely depleted battery- (lets say down to 10.6v as that's close to what my batteries voltage go down to when running the starter motor), easily will accept more current that my charger output. Attach the 2 and the charger produces 100% of the current it can produce and doesn't blow a fuse. But somehow when the starter is running the charger sees the same voltage but tries to produce more than it can and blows a fuse?
You need to bring some data and measurements to the table........

Rich T

Visit site
That just sounds weird. So I have a severely depleted battery- (lets say down to 10.6v as that's close to what my batteries voltage go down to when running the starter motor), easily will accept more current that my charger output. Attach the 2 and the charger produces 100% of the current it can produce and doesn't blow a fuse. But somehow when the starter is running the charger sees the same voltage but tries to produce more than it can and blows a fuse?
You need to bring some data and measurements to the table........
Well you say when the starter motor is “running”. The problem is the initial inrush of current. My pre engaged starter motor on my car has a pull in and hold coil , that, until the starter motor contact close will draw in itself 50 amps, this on top of the high, no back EMF, load of the motor. Unless the output fuse in the charger is of a very slo blow type it is not going to withstand even a small amount of this total load if 100% of it does not come solely from the battery.
I have a hydraulic pump motor on a piece of machinery , powered from a 12v battery and charged from a simple charger. The charger cables are relatively light in CSA and therefore drop voltage and therefore current when the charger tries to “help” the battery when the start up load comes on. Without this bit of built in resistance the charger would blow its output fuse. The ammeter on the charger goes hard over showing the charger is helping to support the load but the lighter cables suppress the initial load surge from the charger.
Agreed a flat battery when on a charger with fast acting electronic overload protection on its output will probably cope and the user is none the wiser when they hit the start button. Perhaps this is where our differences in opinion lie ?

GHA

Visit site
Well you say when the starter motor is “running”. The problem is the initial inrush of current. My pre engaged starter motor on my car has a pull in and hold coil , that, until the starter motor contact close will draw in itself 50 amps, this on top of the high, no back EMF, load of the motor. Unless the output fuse in the charger is of a very slo blow type it is not going to withstand even a small amount of this total load if 100% of it does not come solely from the battery.
Peak hold meter shows just under 11v when my starter runs. 50A ain't that much. Of course power will flow from the charger if the voltage it sees is less than the voltage set point, just like if the battery is discharged.
So your saying a charger will deliver more power than it can deliver and blow a fuse if the voltage is pulled down by a starter motor but not when the voltage is lower because the battery is discharged? :confused:

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
GHA nd paul I understand what Rich T is talking about.

When you have 2 different supplies of current the amount of current supplied by each supplies.

In the case we are talking about we hav a battery/ batteries and a battery charger.

The amount of current that each source supplies depends on the total resistance in each supply line, including the internal resistance of the supply.

When you have multi battery banks the way these cattries are connected is important to ensure that each batteries supply current are as equal as possible.

in the case described by Rich T where 100 Amp is the total current required this is shared between the battery and the battery charger. The proportion of the total current (100 Amps) will depend on the total resistance in each supply line from each source.

Once you have the resistance in each leg you an calculate the proportion each source will supply by using equations based on Ohms law and Kirchhoff's law

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Peak hold meter shows just under 11v when my starter runs. 50A ain't that much. Of course power will flow from the charger if the voltage it sees is less than the voltage set point, just like if the battery is discharged.
So your saying a charger will deliver more power than it can deliver and blow a fuse if the voltage is pulled down by a starter motor but not when the voltage is lower because the battery is discharged? :confused:
Perhaps I shouldn't admit this .... but I have an old-fashioned bulk charger which is rated at 6A. It has no one-off switch and is "on" as soon as I plug it into the mains.

On many occasions over the last 40 years, I have forgotten to make sure that the battery clamps are separated or clamped onto the battery before I plug it in ..... and when I plug it in sparks go flying in all directions but it has never done the charger any harm and the internal fuse has never blown.

I cannot imagine that starting the car with the battery charger still connected, which I've also done many times, could ever put a larger load on the charger than me regularly shorting it out. :(

Richard

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Sorry Paul, have to disagree on that. I have known Battery chargers, simple type, not smart, blow the rectifiers when left connected to a start battery. The start current passes through the whole circuit, including the charger and pops the rectifier or fuse if fitted.
Lots of interesting theory chaps. My initial response was to disagree with Paul that it was an "Old wives tale"
I have seen it happen, as I said. I had it happen with two identical chargers fitted to two identical emergency fire pumps in two different compartments separated by about 800 feet.. I am not going into any more detail. Suffice to say it can happen given the right, or wrong, set up.
In sixty odd years in the Electrical Engineering field I have seen many things "That cannot happen" Happen. Never say Never!
Every day is a school day.