Running costs

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Ain\'t life a bitch

In principle, there's no such thing as a free lunch. If you want to keep your boat somewhere with good landside connections, good sailing water, and tide-round access you'll end up paying very heavily for the pleasure.

OTOH, if you're prepared to spend hours getting to some drying creek with a two-hour tide window, to dinghy a mile or two out to a mooring, and to sail in difficult waters, you'll end up paying merely heavily!

There are ways around this, but mostly they involve living in a place that has municipally owned moorings, and putting your name on a very long waiting list.

claymore

Visit site
Thats a bit like saying a car doesn't run any better just because you tax it.
If all the boats in all the marinas were put onto moorings we'd all end up sailing in the marinas as they'd be the only bits of clear water left.
There have been some posts recently which discussed moorings in Devon - specifically the Dart and Tamar as I remember - have a trawl through the last 3 months
regards
JS

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Re: Ain\'t life a bitch

I don't pay a rich developer for my mooring; I pay the Chichester Harbour Conservancy who laid and maintain the mooring as well as provide other facilities such as dinghy chains etc.

They also maintain the harbour to ensure that it remains beautiful and unspoilt. None of which can be done for nothing.

You write you pay enough tax but so does everyone else; I don't expect a non sailor to subsidise my leisure time.

Using your logic:

Why should I pay a mountain lift company if I want to ski?
Why should I have to pay a golf club if I want to hit a ball around a field?
Why should I pay vehicle tax to drive my car?
Why should I buy a TV licence to watch telly?

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

Visit site
If you look at the cost of...

"Owning" a garage in Central London, a very convenient place (sometimes) to OWN a car but the most inconvenient place to PARK a car I think that you will find the proportionate cost MUCH higher than a boat mooring in a comparatively convenient location.

Maybe one day it will be like Central London on the Solent. We'll all sail around in hired black boxy taxi boats (or will they be all [censored]* Jeanneau renters?)

Steve Cronin

*around the bath after use plus the cloth thing betwixt boom and mast

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by steve_cronin on Tue Feb 5 14:23:27 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Exe - good and bad

The Exe has an undeserved reputation for being particularly difficult, follow the charts and buoys and use common sense re winds and tides and it's really not that bad.

Renting a mooring is relatively cheap, there's a regular water taxi but parking is a pain and some areas suffer from strong tidal currents. But it is all very pretty and unspoilt, so perhaps I should say that it's a bugger to get in, sand banks everywhere, no secure moorings................................etc etc

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: Running costs - Try Weymouth

The Royal Dorset YC probably have moorings available (in Portland harbour) and there’s the rub! You will know when its too rough to go anywhere, because you wont be able to launch your dingy off the beach.
Obviously you will have to join that ancient body of mariners, but having done so, your chances of getting a mooring are good.

Other threads that may be of interest