Rules opinion would be appreciated.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

Birdseye

Visit site
Sorry to belabour this but I'm still a bit confused.
Recap; I'm approaching mark A close hauled on port and will just lay mark B when I tack. Another boat has rounded B and is broad reaching back to A.
I understand that I must give room when overlapped (I did), but when is that overlap established?
A/ from when he rounds B, about 1/2 mile away.
B /When I enter the zone.
C / When he gets within the prescribed distance from me ( is that 2 or 3 lengths?).
All purely academic, we discussed this over beer later.
As I understand the rules Dan, you are mixing up two things. The overlap starts from when his bow hits the imaginary like formed by your transom. But its irrelevant until for example you come to something like a mark where one of you has to give way. If the other boat has an overlap just before the three boat lengths from the mark you give way. If he hasnt then he gives way.

But I am no expert and there are experts on here

flaming

Visit site
As I understand the rules Dan, you are mixing up two things. The overlap starts from when his bow hits the imaginary like formed by your transom. But its irrelevant until for example you come to something like a mark where one of you has to give way. If the other boat has an overlap just before the three boat lengths from the mark you give way. If he hasnt then he gives way.

But I am no expert and there are experts on here
Getting off topic, but overlap is absolutely fundamental to a huge number of rules. For example it defines when windward must keep clear of leeward. Without an overlap there is no windward and leeward, there is just clear astern and clear ahead.

Richard10002

Visit site
Sounds like you and the other yacht are on different legs of the course.
Yes..... I dont think he can ask for water at the mark as you are not heading for the same mark. I think it's a straightforward port tack/starboard tack, or windward boat, situation.

I think he can ask for water if he will be forced onto an obstruction, or aground, if you dont give it.

Walther

Visit site
My understanding of RRS is out of date.
Mast abeam! :p

This past summer I encountered another geriatric racer who believed that the zone was two boat lengths. She also believed that it’s possible to exonerate a foul by doing turns at any time prior to finishing. That was also changed, years ago.

About 95% of mark rounding related protests are dismissed. Many people don't understand this rule.
I agree with the second sentence, but not the first.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The first is a quote from John Doerr, AC jury member. It surprised me too. Obviously it’s not that neither party is at fault, it’s just impossible to say who’s in the right so often. The protests are apparently overwhelmingly people complaining that the undeserving have taken room when they had no rights, it’s very hard to show they have not.

B27

Visit site
In my limited experience of mark rounding disputes, the various parties normally have very different recollections of what actually happened.

oldbloke

Visit site
I think if you are going to assert your right to room or deny someone else's, especially if it is crowded, then it helps to be proactive and vocal. So , as approach the three lengths try to get agreement on who has and hasn't got an overlap and as the rounding approaches loudly, but politely, explain who is getting ,or not, room and who you are going to want room from.
Allowing a situation to quietly evolve and then arguing about it amongst the chaos or, even worse, in the protest room is not good.

flaming

Visit site
I think if you are going to assert your right to room or deny someone else's, especially if it is crowded, then it helps to be proactive and vocal. So , as approach the three lengths try to get agreement on who has and hasn't got an overlap and as the rounding approaches loudly, but politely, explain who is getting ,or not, room and who you are going to want room from.
Allowing a situation to quietly evolve and then arguing about it amongst the chaos or, even worse, in the protest room is not good.
Agree.

I find that the first mark rounding overlapped with someone you don't know is always a lot more stressful. By the time you've sailed against a boat a few times you get to know who you can trust to give you mark room without having to point it out, and who you need to "assert your rights" to.