Rule of 12ths, how accurate is it?

Neeves

Visit site
I'd call that 'getting neaped'.

Normal anchor light(s), plus 2 all round reds one above the other.
Daymark is three, er, balls up (in a vertical line).

I checked and I normally only carry 2 balls :)

3 would be quite unusual.

And I would need to buy 2 x all round reds (as they are round do they count as balls :)? )

Jonathan

Elessar

Visit site
You need balls (and be stupid) to be drunk in charge here, - the fines discourage the practice.
I don't really turn on my not under command lights after a glass of wine........
But (thread drift) when i have to worry about having a glass of wine on my boat I'd say the whole thing has been ruined.
We are blessed with little regulation in the UK for boating, and little problem to fix because of it.
Driving which is heavily regulated has far more problems.

zoidberg

Visit site
..... and switch our chart plotter off when crossing oceans or seas and simply have it on for enough time to record the lat and long twice a day along with boat speed

Sounds like the extremely frugal 'Aberdonian' in your heritage.... saving every erg of electricity! ;)

.....The sand does move, there were some odd conical lumps yesterday that I had not seen before. But as long as its sand....

.... and not 20-foot 'Salties'! :eek:

Birdseye

Visit site
I have set of tide tables, they are issued by our Bureau of Meteorogy and give me high and low tide each day against time (plus moon phases) - that's it.

Which is why I asked.

Its not the time so much, 20 mins plus or minus would not phase me - 30 cm might be more critical.

We have, roughly, 2m tides max.

Here, Pittwater, its all very conventional - NE Tasmania - different ball game (6 knot tidal flows, lows coming in of Southern Ocean etc).

Jonathan

2m is just a basic clearance under the keel. So just allow 3 m actual depth every time you anchor and let out chain for 5m. dont worry.

lw395

Visit site
2m is just a basic clearance under the keel. So just allow 3 m actual depth every time you anchor and let out chain for 5m. dont worry.
If you insist on 2m clearance all the time, you're going to be going the long way around fairly often!

alan_d

Visit site
I'd call that 'getting neaped'.

Normal anchor light(s), plus 2 all round reds one above the other.
Daymark is three, er, balls up (in a vertical line).
Depends on the length of the vessel. IRPCS Rule 30(f) " A vessel of less than 12 metres in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (d) (i) and (ii) of this Rule. "

ghostlymoron

Visit site
If you're of reasonable draft, you don't really need special lights when aground as no one is likely to run into you. I'd just display an anchor light in case someone in a dinghy approaches.
When I had my bilge keeler, I was careful not to dry out at the very top of the tide especially approaching springs. No tidal prediction (and that's all they are) is 100% accurate and you can be seriously embarrassed if you take it to the limit.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Depends on the length of the vessel. IRPCS Rule 30(f) " A vessel of less than 12 metres in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (d) (i) and (ii) of this Rule. "

I stand corrected! I'd forgotten that exemption.

So, anchor ball (day) and anchor light (night) only. (Phew!)

(Note also, for completeness, the exemption of vessels under 7m from displaying anchor ball or lights 'when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate' does not apply if such a vessel is aground - i.e. they too must display them when aground wherever.)

Stemar

Visit site
Most of the fishing boats (all small ones near me) I see have the "Get out of my way I'm fishing" shapes welded in place.

As for tides, I'm reminded of the time a rather large boat scrubbed off on our club grid. To get on, he had to come in on the top of the tide. Unfortunately, the next tide was a little lower, as was the one after. He was stuck for a month and had to be dragged off at the top of the next spring tide. Most embarrassing - not to mention expensive at a fiver a tide.

Refueler

Visit site
Most of the fishing boats (all small ones near me) I see have the "Get out of my way I'm fishing" shapes welded in place.

As for tides, I'm reminded of the time a rather large boat scrubbed off on our club grid. To get on, he had to come in on the top of the tide. Unfortunately, the next tide was a little lower, as was the one after. He was stuck for a month and had to be dragged off at the top of the next spring tide. Most embarrassing - not to mention expensive at a fiver a tide.

One born every day .... I reckon if you want a good laugh ... sit watching a public slipway at a weekend in summer ...

Out come the weekend warriors with their speedboats and such ... cars in the water ... trailers all askew ... wives being shouted at ... its free comedy !!

But as Stemar and other said - never take ground at top of tide ... always if you do go onto slip at high tide ... back off a few yards and let outgoing tide settle her so on next tide you know you can get off.