Round the world Wannabe

RTW_Wannabe

Visit site
Hi there everyone

We (myself, wife and 9 yr old) are considering joining a round the world rally in approx 12 months time and I would appreciate any feedback from liveaboards and round the worlders as to a suitable yacht to purchase given our budget. We of course have done our own research, have our own biases based on our experience to date, and have looked at a fair few boats over the last few weeks but am finding it difficult to find suitable boats in the right condition for the right price. The guidelines for what we want are LOA 38 –45ft, pref. for shoal draft, proven offshore capability, equipped for extended offshore use (or having the capability/space to be equipped) for what is mostly tropical tradewind route (through Panama and Suez, not rounds the capes), and ability to be able to be sailed short handed. Resale value and ease of sale is also important to us as when we return to the UK as we will need the cash to put back into bricks and mortar.

Our total intended budget for the yacht equipped ready to go is £100K (this has to include all necessary power generation, SSB, radar, VHF, charts, all necessary sails, liferaft, watermaker ?, bigger tanks, etc..etc.). We’re not bothered about over the top fancy luxury stuff like freezers, air con and the need for AC generator etc. but nevertheless 3 of us have to live on it for nearly 2 years.

What make/models of boats do you see out there that could meet these requirements ?

Given the timescales we do not have the time for over extensive fitting/refitting as I need to use the early months of next year for actually sailing the boat and making sure I am happy with its set up. Also the boat has to be able to cruise comfortably averaging a min 5 knots (although really needs to be faster than this to be able to keep up with what seems to be generally a larger size fleet).
Are we being realistic with our budget ? Are we mixing with the wrong crowd ?

Any thoughts much appreciated..

tony_brighton

Visit site
I assume you are contemplating 2nd hand - thought of a Starlight 39? Should be around the £95k mark for a 5+ yrs old boat. Reputed to be excellent for what you describe.

RTW_Wannabe

Visit site
Thanks Tony

Would need to be 2nd hand to get boat and all equipment I think (unless anyone can tell me differently). The Starlight is not one of the boats I have looked at but will now do a bit of research on them and see If I can find any for sale.

Much appreciated.

...Steve.

RTW_Wannabe

Visit site
That's a possibility. I'll take a look at a few websites and see what there is. The only thing is I'm not familiar with US makes of boat. Any ones that come to mind that you may know ?

Also If I buy in the U.S. then need to consider time to get it to Europe for start of the rally. I guess I need to also factor in VAT and import duty fees. Although just thinking a little more, the rally starts in Gibraltar (which I believe is outside of EU tax regime) so could possibly go straight from US to Gib if I got the timing right ?

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
....Steve.

DMW

Visit site
Some American boats that look interesting for this sort of trip include Shannon, Westsail and Tartan. No personal experience and not sure about the costs but certainly capable of what you want. Beth Leonard wrote about her circumnav in a Shannon in "Following Seas" available on Amazon, though in truth not a great read.

I trust you're not ruling out some more recent European yachts which may prove to be suitable for such a trip, eg Oceanis 411.

One day I hope to be in a position to do the same, so my suggestions are purely from an armchair planner.

RTW_Wannabe

Visit site
Thanks

I'll take a look at the US brokerages on these makes. Not sure about the oceanis (I maybe unfair and I'll recheck the figures but aren't they a little on the light side (disp. and ballast) Also most of these I have seen are equipped for Med sailing so would need to factor in more of the readies for the offshore stuff.

As for being in a position to do this, we're certainly not at the rich end of this game, we're talking about selling everything we own to do this and then returning poor and basically starting back from scratch again. Mad, probably yes, but at the same time don't wan't to do things the same way as my old man did (worked full time from 14 to 65 and then dropped dead at 70).

Thanks once again.

.....Steve.

kgi

Visit site
Steve you could try the cruising club of america for suggestions on boats for your intended travels, the secretary is Stephen E Taylor, email is staylor@globe. com........keith

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Steve,

My wife and I are currently in Gib awaiting the start of The Antiguia Rally with Blue Water Rallies. I assume it is them that you are going with? If so they are a great bunch.
Like you our initial budget was 100k, also like you, choosing the boat was very difficult.
However I am pleased to say, we made the right choice in a Westerly Corsair. She is just under 37 feet, but center cockpit and with 6 feet seven headroom all through. Match that with 13 feet plus beam and you have a boat that feels a LOT bigger. She also has two heads which was a big consideration for us.Refit took just over 2 months and we got her on the water with all the kit you need for just over 70k. The actual purchase price was just under 60. We have sailed her to Gib in some pretty horrendous weather, (3 gales) and are very, very happy.
A few months ago in YM had a corsair advertised in the classifieds called 10k who did the last RTW for 62,500.
Speak to David Hardy at Trafalgar yachts in Farham, as with your budget you could go up to a newer Oceanlord. David can send you photocopies of the origional
westerly brochures. Tell him John and Nicola (on Moonshine) say hi from Gib.
Good Luck.

RTW_Wannabe

Visit site
Hi John

Thanks for the post. Yes it is blue water rallies we will be sailing with. I met them all at the seminar for this about a month ago and I agree with you they do seem to be a good bunch of people. We have just come back today from meeting another couple with 2 kids who are entering so we're feeling pretty excited about it all at the moment.

I took a look at a Westerly Ocean ranger (38') which seemed pretty good but unfortunately an offer was accepted on it the day after. There is another one a 1996 model which seems fully kitted out for £98K but it's in Liverpool so need to do a bit more checkig before trekking up there.

I'll also check out the Corsair as I have not seen one in the flesh before.

Many thanks and good luck with the rally.

Regards

Steve.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Have a look at the Jeaneau Sun Magic 44 not a light boat deep keel and a very steady yacht.good ones going for £65000. these are not like the new jeaneaus .
all the best .bob t

Bob T

RTW_Wannabe

Visit site
Thanks Bob

I think you maybe onto something here. I had discounted the newer breed of coastal cruisers forgetting that some of the slightly older models were built for offshore.

Rgds

....Steve.

RTW_Wannabe

Visit site
Duncan

Many thanks for the suggestion. She certainly seems to be very comprehensively fitted out and looks a very attractive boat . The jury is still out for me on Steel. I initially thought it a good idea for safety reasons but then I was put off it at the Blue Water seminar by Nigel Calder and others who raised concerns about not knowing what failures in welds etc. could be lurking. Do you have personal knowledge of this vessel ?

...Steve.

dk

Visit site
Steve
No sorry I don't know her, but someone mentioned her in an earlier posting and she sounded just the ticket for RTW sailing to me. Not much more gear to add before she is ready to go and a steel hull that'll bounce off those bommies! Just take a few welding lesson before you go and pack some oxy-acetylene kit into the lazarette!
Seriously, I've never had a steel hull, but I've heard good things about them from some who have. Probably the only downside is the need for continual paint touching up to keep the rust at bay. Yes, you might get the odd dodgy weld, but it is no more likely than a duff hull/deck joint on a GRP boat.
Good luck with your search anyway.
Duncan

Vasco

Visit site
Hi
Don't mind if I ask , have you got sailing experience?You don't mention it , and I think it is a crucial matter on your "plan".I'm not saying that if you don't you can't do it, just saying that is crucial in the way you plan , do and pay for things.
I believe your budget can buy you a yacht well up to the task, especially if you leave ashore a lot of stuff many people (rally organizers included) say is "essential".There are hundreds of capable yachts on the market, and every yacht is a compromise , so you'll hardly get the boat of your dreams and "requirements".
And beware of dream sellers.