Round The Island Race - Any pictures or videos?

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
It was just the best conditions this year - fantastic!

Of course, I made a little video on the way round:

Does anyone else have any video or photos to share?

Pete

sarabande

Visit site
It is utterly irresponsible of the organising clubs NOT to mark the wreck. SImply drawing attention to it in the SIs is abdicating responsibility too far.

One of the boat insurance companies should put a hoofing great inflatable buoy on it, and thus earn the undying gratitude of those really keen types who choose to cut the corner.

And all the insurance companies should say that they will not pay out if any boat hits the wreck; same as for people who drive their cars through floodwater. Why should we pay for their stupidity ? How can you hit the wreck "by accident" ?

[/Monday rant}

Hadenough

Visit site
It is utterly irresponsible of the organising clubs NOT to mark the wreck. SImply drawing attention to it in the SIs is abdicating responsibility too far.

One of the boat insurance companies should put a hoofing great inflatable buoy on it, and thus earn the undying gratitude of those really keen types who choose to cut the corner.

And all the insurance companies should say that they will not pay out if any boat hits the wreck; same as for people who drive their cars through floodwater. Why should we pay for their stupidity ? How can you hit the wreck "by accident" ?

[/Monday rant}

Ahh but then it would not be "round the island". I suggested the same thing last year and got flamed by err - Flaming. I still don't see how you can have a race where the course is not definitive. At school many years ago I got caned for winning a cross country race (that's what we called jogging then) by swimming across a river to cut about half a mile off. Getting in soaking wet on a dry day was a bit of a giveaway. Strikes me that allowing participants to risk the wreck is exactly the same offence.

flaming

Visit site
Ahh but then it would not be "round the island". I suggested the same thing last year and got flamed by err - Flaming. I still don't see how you can have a race where the course is not definitive. At school many years ago I got caned for winning a cross country race (that's what we called jogging then) by swimming across a river to cut about half a mile off. Getting in soaking wet on a dry day was a bit of a giveaway. Strikes me that allowing participants to risk the wreck is exactly the same offence.

The course is definitive, the needles lighthouse is a mark of the course.

We were 5th out of the whole blue group start at Hurst, and we leading 5 were launched from the pack, but without the owner on board (and after a very specific promise!) we went outside the wreck. It was almost more than my competitive nature could take... We lost about 20 places to boats who went inside. And subsequently learned that a regular competitor who was just in front of us hit it a glancing blow.

Speaking as someone who's been through the gap several times, outside several times, and hit it a glancing blow.... I wish it wasn't there, but the other suggestions all have flaws. If you make Bridge a mark of the course you add a lot to the distance, and also add a mark of the course that would frequently be a windward mark at a point where the bulk of the fleet are still pretty congested. I honestly think that if you did that the insurance bill would be fairly similar, but it would be the "one race per year family cruisers" coming together at the mark instead of the keen racers chancing their arm! And that's the sort of collision that could do injury, not just damage. There's enough carnage at Bembridge when the fleet is more spread out.
If you mark the 1st boiler then you encourage more people to go for it, with the result I think that actually more people will end up hitting it as the buoy will be downtide of the wreck (so SW of it) and you'll have inside boats not giving enough room "look there's loads of room between us and the buoy... bang..." as everyone is swept downtide onto the wreck... And what happens if an early competitor snags the mark and moves it the other side of the wreck...? Who would be liable for the next keel that hit the wreck?

But I'd entirely support any plans to remove the boilers. You'd have thought by now the insurance companies should see it's in their interest...

Last edited:

Keen_Ed

Visit site
iBut I'd entirely support any plans to remove the boilers. You'd have thought by now the insurance companies should see it's in their interest...

Perfect for the trainees learning to dive for the forces at Hornsea Island, I would think. Practice with the gas torch.

lw395

Visit site
I think I've been between the boilers.
One year we were just among so many boats we couldn't see the Island at all at that point, let alone make subtle judgments about clearing the wreck.
There was a bit of tide taking us across the wreck, to say the least. The first point we could see exactly where we were, we were South of the Varvassi.
Saw a boat near us slow down suddenly, I believe he was picking bits of Goose Rock out of the keel before the next weekend!

I understand they tried buoying it some years ago, but the tide is strong enough to move the buoy, making it misleading. At least by the time a few Sigma 38's have got cosy with the buoy and its ground tackle.

One year when it was very light and lots of boats were close to us, our Nav said the GPS lost fix at the key moment.