Rope selection for splicing

Jaguar 25

Visit site
The last two types of 3-strand mooring rope that I have tried to splice decided to fall apart once I separated the the three strands (i.e. the individual strands from each of the three strands straightened into a dozen or so separate strands) . Still managed to splice and eye into them but not as neat as previous attempts on my first spliced mooring rope. I have tried using hair spray and gel to hold them together but with little success. It would be better if they stayed together themselves.

Can someone please advise as to how do you decide which rope is suitable for splicing befre it is bought?

lpdsn

Visit site
Not had that problem, but perhaps you can try using a bit of tape on the ends of each of the three starnds until you're much further through making the splice.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Soak it in hair gel. Seriously, some riggers do this.

Also, as others have said, tape the ends and tape or seize where the unlay stops. For most splices, it doesn't make any difference if the srtand turns to yarns. It will be just as stong and smoother. For a long splice or irony splice, maintain the twist with your fingers.

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site
As a norm I always tape, burn or whip the ends. Could be just rubbish rope of course!

I usually thin out the ends towards the end of the splice. When does it go wrong? I presume you have a fid of some sort to protect the ends when feeding them through the lay.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Once the strands start to unlay you're unlikely to get them laid back tightly again.

Synthetic rope, try cutting with a hot knife and then separate the three strands, obviously into just three separate parts still fused at each end. Then protect them from separating further by taping each end. Then use a fid to make the hole you push them through, aiming to avoid flattening the strand whilst pushing and pulling it through. On the other hand, don't make the hole so big that the rope cockles, ie a strand of the rope itself gets gets a twist in it.

Generally the larger diameters of rope are more difficult to do. I've had problems doing nylon, polyester, polythene. Polypropylene is easier but rots in sunshine over a few years so I don't use that any more.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Obviously tape the ends but also, as you feed each strand through, twist the strand tight with its lay, but don't allow it to kink. Also make the 'hole' that you're feeding the strand through nice and large.
I use a home made fid, made from a length of 15mm copper pipe.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I usually use a constrictor knot - quick and easy to tie, and secure. As you'll probably cut the end of the strands off when you've finished, a knot that's difficult to undo doesn't matter. The other technique I use is to melt the ends, as others have suggested; I do this if I think I might not trim the ends. I have been known to do both - tie the knot to hold the strand together while sealing the end.

Lots of 3-strand rope will "fall apart" when the strands are separated - it's particularly true of the cheaper polypropylene rope (the cheap orange stuff that looks like it's made of twisted up plastic bags). But even good quality nylon rope can do it; the material is smooth and slippery, so it doesn't hang together; my good mooring lines are like that, and that is a good quality rope. However, even cheap and nasty rope has its uses. Being cheap doesn't mean it isn't strong enough; usually just that it doesn't look nice and probably won't last as long as a better quality line. Useful when a rope may have to be regarded as consumable, or where a particular property such as floating is required.

PS, the nastiest stuff I ever spliced was certainly NOT cheap or low quality - it was very hard laid cotton rope impregnated with graphite, originally intended for use in belt drives in the heavy woollen industry. It certainly didn't fall apart when unlaid - the main problem was opening it enough to tuck the strands! I had to use a fid about18 inches long with a flat blade (the kind intended for wire splicing) to open it. What's worse was that my Dad had bought a collapsed coil, so before splicing it I had to untangle it! It made very good fixed mooring lines (our mooring had a bow anchor and stern lines to the harbour wall), though, and the graphite worked as a pretty good antifoulant and preservative. It was horrible stuff to work with, though!

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
In the days before tape I used to pass some whipping twine through the rope and tie off each thread in turn before cutting. I still do this sometimes if I can't be bothered to go looking for the tape.

jdc

Visit site
I've observed that Liros polyester ropes unlay when being spliced much more than Marlow or English Braids ropes do. I don't suppose it makes any difference to strength 'tho.

aztec

Visit site
The last two types of 3-strand mooring rope that I have tried to splice decided to fall apart once I separated the the three strands (i.e. the individual strands from each of the three strands straightened into a dozen or so separate strands) . Still managed to splice and eye into them but not as neat as previous attempts on my first spliced mooring rope. I have tried using hair spray and gel to hold them together but with little success. It would be better if they stayed together themselves.

Can someone please advise as to how do you decide which rope is suitable for splicing befre it is bought?

definitely depends on the quality.

3 strand "S" lay i've found easiest. but i always wrap the strands and cut back. "Z" lay gives me the hump probably as i'm right handed.

James_Calvert

Visit site
One additional thing that can help is, once you've unlaid enough for the splice, to bind each of the three strands here and there along their length.

sogood

Visit site
I find it helps, as suggested, to melt the ends of the individual strands, but to do so before you unravel them completely. It's the unravelling process that encourages them to individually unravel, as they are loosened up and free to do so.

Just separate the three strands, by about an inch and melt the ends then, while they are still wound up tight. It's harder for them to unravel then as they are "fixed". And of course, tape or tie off the rope at the end of the unravel, before actually unravelling. A home made fid helps. I've used a piece of coat hanger, with a small loop in one end, like the eye of a needle. You can twist the strands as you feed them through the rope, encouraging them to twist in the desired direction, against the direction of the unravel.