Rope clutch slipping - Reasons?

andyorr

Visit site
Trying to firm up the luff on the genoa on my newly acquired Fulmar. Winch it nice and tight, let the halyard off the winch and it slips back thru the clutch. Same on the main halyad. This leaves me with a saggy main and genoa luff. Is it the clutch or the rope? The halyards slip back to a "happy" point and always stops there, not slipping any further but I cannot tighten the blighters. Is there a way of checking whether it is the clutch "teeth" or a worn rope? The halyards look OK but....

FullCircle

Visit site
Shorten the halliards by 6 inches from the sail end. Then you will have fresh rope in the clutch. This usually helps, as the reope wont be deformed to the clutch shape.

sarabande

Visit site
possibly, before you take the hot knife to the sail end of the halyard, or end-for-ending the halyard,

with the sail not in use, run a fresh piece of halyard in the jaws and try winching it.

It it slips, the jaws are at fault (some can be adjusted), not the rope.

Most likely though that the core of the halyard has deformed through repeated use in the same place.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Easylocks have this feature.

With the lever just forward of vertical, give the grippy bits of metal inside a quick push forward with your thumb, then close the lever.

Not an ideal solution, but saves spending money and drilling extra holes.

Oceanmaster

Visit site
Just a point but I had the same thing too. Washed the ropes and now not a problem. Whether it allowed the inner core to bounce back into shape or an oily film on the outer coat...I do not know. But washing worked for me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dt4134

Visit site
If you hoist with the clutch closed a short-term fix that sometimes works is to open and close the clutch before taking the halyard off the winch.

However, you'll probably have to consider one of the medium-term fixes described above anyway.

William_H

Visit site
If you use just a bowline knot on the halyard onto the sail then each time you change a sail you will have a different point of wear on the halyard both at the clutch and the jib. But then again you probably have a furling jib so don't change sails.

One boat I have sailed on a bit has 2 clutches in series on the main halyard.
I have enough halyard winches so I can leave a halyard on the winch with a simple cleat after the winch. Halyard tension is very critical to good sail setting so get it right. good luck olewill