Rope anchor warp on Lewmar HX1

www.sailing-south.com
I have just fitted a Lewmar HX1 windlass but am getting an issue if I try to use rope anchor warp as the gypsy is not letting it release as it passes into the chain locker and instead tries to force it underneath the gypsy and jams up the windlass. I have a fairly small chain locker (Southerly 105) and have 60m of 8mm chain but wanted to splice on another 40m of rope warp. We do a lot of anchoring and sometimes we can get very wild weather where it may be necessary to exceed 60m of chain. Does anyone have any suggestion. I did have 100m when I originaly sailed to the med but it was just too heavy.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Does it have a rope gypsy or just a chain stripper?

HX1%2B2016-10.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
If you have limited locker space you might have considered 6mm (higher tensile) chain and used a snubber to replace the 'loss' of catenary with the lighter chain. The lighter chain will offer you more 'empty' space in your locker and you will find it easier to keep the rope separate from the rope (wet ropes accelerates corrosion)

If your windlass is unused it may be possible to swap the current gypsy for one for 6mm chain (though maybe you have invested in new 8mm chain).

6mm chain weighs 0.8kg, 8mm weighs 1.45kg (you will not be able to lift by yourself your 60m rode) and approx 90kg of chain (vs 48kg) in the bow will do little for your yacht's sailing ability (and offer no more safety when at anchor). A HT 6mm (or 1/4") will have a similar strength as G30 8mm chain.

But addressing your current issues - what size and construction of rope are you using?

Jonathan

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
Windlasses can be fussy over the type of rope than can be used so worth reading the instructions as to what is recommended.
Also rope into a shallow locker can be a problem. I had quite a deep locker and the rope (3 strand) wouldn't flake in. I looked into using octoplat but it wasn't recommended for my windlass so I went all 8mm chain.
If I was starting from scratch I would look at 6mm HT chain.

Neeves

Visit site
I had a look at the Lewmar website and the rope recommended is 12/16mm (for both the 6/7mm and 1/4" and 8mm/5/16th" versions) but limited to 3 ply, hard layup. Not relevant but I suspect it would need a tight splice to fit 16mm in 6mm chain

No mention of an anchor plait (which in ignorance might be the obvious choice), braided, double braid nor of the fibre to be used - assume nylon....

It seems the smaller gypsy is very versatile as it takes 6mm, 7mm and 1/4" chain and both 12mm and 16mm 3 ply.

It will be interesting (and educational) to learn what has been used for the textile portion.

Jonathan