Roller Jib - furling system

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
As my genoa is on its last legs I am considerig the move from hanked foresails to a furling system. My boat is only 22ft long and a lot of my sailing is single handed so it seems to make sense.

Reading the press there are a variety of systems and cuts of sail available to confuse me!

All I want to do is cruise from A to B at a reasonable rate, reduce sail if needed BUT keep a good shape as the sail gets smaller. What should I be looking for in a furling system, is it something I fit myself and most importantly how much money should I expect to have to spend!

All help gratefully appreciated!

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gelfi

Visit site
My advice would be to go to the Soton Boat Show and speak to the many sailmaker/furling companies their and get some prices. These are going to vary a lot but I would think that you should be able to get a system for a little over £1000.

I think you will find that this is money well spent as it will make your sailing much easier and therefore less stressfull, so more enjoyable.

<hr width=100% size=1>The only way to go is by water

LadyViolet

Visit site
I have used a Schaefer Marine Snapfurl system on my 20ft Red Fox 200E for a couple of years now. I think it cost about £400 but check out the Nauquip website http://www.nauquip.com/_frames.htm

It was the only system I could find which was suitable for a trailer-sailer (the foil is flexible). It works well but there is always a compromise to be made between sail shape and easy reefing.

Fitted it myself but needed two attempts to get the angle between the halyard and the head swivel right. When dismantling/reassembling for trailing it is vital to do everything in the correct order -- I have got to the stage of writing a check-list!

<hr width=100% size=1>NWS

G

Hi there,

New they're not cheap, but you can sometimes pick 'refurbished' or out of date systems from the manufacturers for a lot less than list price. I got mine from rotostay for £350 (22ft boat).

It's pot luck though. If you buy one new and cost is important then I think plastimo are the cheapest. The 406 series is around 250 squids, if your boat's fairly heavy for its size you could try the 606 which is around £450.

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://neglectednews.blogspot.com/> Neglected News</A>