Roller furling

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
I am using a good quality furling line about 8mm, perhaps 10. 1 season ol and stored away when not on the boat so its pristine. Drum is just about full when fully open so best leverage available.

Yes how you unfurl does make a difference if the line is uncontrolled it tends to lock itself up when furling ( or trying to ) because with the soft wind on the high tension required to furl buries the rope under previous turns so I have to be careful to keep tension on when unfurling.

As to the diverter the halyard does go in at about 15 degrees to the swivel so that looks OK anyway.

I'll take the turn block and camcleat out of the equation by just coming straight to a winch, not for the power just as an alternative to pull on. That is a new turnblock, a spinlock metal sheaved one so it SHOULD be a good quality but ........

Haven't had much time to tamper with it today, been chasing the winter cover and removed and rewired the windlass ...... now I can pay out chain and wind it in from the cockpit! fancy me hey! :)

Just why Beneteau fitted a reversible windlass and then hobbled it so that it would only run one way beats me!

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
OK who suggested the final turnaround block??? I took the furling line straight to the winch drum ( just as a brake ) and the problem got 25% better. To you sir the Blue Peter Noddy badge of the week! Then I tightened 5 full turns on each of the twin backstay turnbuckles. RESULT. So much so that I had the chutzpah to sail up Preveza channel, across to the bay in front of the marinas, round up, furl and drop the anchor ( with my newly reversing windlass - see other thread ). Didn't even bother to start the engine! A proper job!

Unfortunately few witnesses but it kind of made my holiday :)

Thanks for steering me in the right direction folks!
:D:D:D