Robert Louis Stevenson

Seajet

Visit site
I and everyone I can remember have always pronounced it ' Loowie ' as in the French.

Anyone who can give us ' National Talk like A Pirate Day ' is a hero in my book. :)

chewi

Visit site
The street in his name in Westbourne, Bournemouth ducks the issue by writing it as R.L Stevenson Avenue.

johnalison

Visit site
Anyone who can read the first page of Treasure Island and then put it down must have a will of iron. I was too young when I was young for Kidnapped but I read it a few years ago and was very impressed by the even-handedness of his treatment of the two sides of the question of Scottish patriotism. The Dynamiter is a very strange book which I think he wrote with his wife but which is worth reading by those interested in oddities.

Romeo

Visit site
Personally always said Loo-ee, and the pronunciation on radio 4 is jarring with me a bit.... although the "S" at the end blends into the first S of Stevenson anyway, so perhaps not matter too much if you think of it as silent or not.

One of my boats is name after him: "Tusitala"

macd

Visit site
'Lewis' or 'Loo-ie', which is right?

Whichever one the bearer preferred, which we may never know. But we might surmise that in deliberately changing it from the non-ambiguous to the ambiguous form, he was either being mischievous or preferred the French pronunciation. Altogether a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde problem.

Incidentally, in changing to 'Louis' he also dropped Balfour as his third forename. Both came from his maternal grandfather, Lewis Balfour, who was a minister in the Church of Scotland. Five years after changing his name(s), Stevenson announced to his parents that he no longer believed in God, adding "am I to live my whole life as one falsehood?”

So perhaps the change of name was some sort of religious statement?

Whichever is right, it's clearer than 'Menzies' and 'Dalziel'.