Road test - Bavaria 40...and technology -LONG POST

zefender

Visit site
In May 2001 I bought a new Bavaria 40, my first boat - I previously chartered. About the same time, I joined this forum and started reading lots of negative comments about Ben/Jen/Bavs and starting worrying a bit! The first year was spent pottering about the Solent, a couple of wine runs and pretty local stuff.

This year I took two months off work and sailed to the Algarve and back – a trip of about 2,700 miles - back on Sunday. The route was Solent to Falmouth, Falmouth to Camarinas, hopping down the Atlantic coast, turn left, then back again via Gijon to La Rochelle and along the Brittany coast and then Solent.

The trip to Falmouth (under motor) was a real shake down. We bashed our way through F6/7 headwinds/sea all the way in 'orrible rain. One of the main hatches lost a catch in the sea/vibration so water started pouring in, soaking pretty much everything. One of the glands at the foot of the mast must have been faulty since we had water coming in there too. - though this was more to do with subsequent fittings than the boat itself. A fatal cocktail of Fanta and Sour Cream and Onion Pringles caused us to take refuge in Dartmouth for a couple of hours. We had to tighten dozens of bolts (eg stanchions) which had worked their way loose in the bashing and make a temporary fix to the main foredeck hatch. The inside of the boat was also covered in fibreglass dust from the manufacturing process - it would have been nice if Bavaria had spent a valuable man hour with a Dyson before releasing it! The slamming motion was not pleasant and at times I felt like the whole thing would crack open like an egg. It’s obviously a lot stronger than it sounds.

The Biscay trip was great fun – whales, dolphins, shooting stars etc, even though we had SW all the way and one stormy night with big seas for a F7 – but then, as it was my first time, how would I know!

We discovered that the hull windows were leaking a bit so on arrival, we removed them and added more sealant. This cured it. Opal marine sent out replacement hatch catches ‘gratis’, despite the boat being out of warranty – which was decent of them

Around the corner from Lisbon on the way back, we ran into a surprise F8, gusting F9 and seas as big as houses. We sought refuge after a few hours, not because of damage to the boat but possible damage to precious family cargo – and the inevitable fatigue that would result from 7 hours on the helm as the autopilot obviously couldn’t cope! The boat seemed remarkably unstressed by it all. My confidence in her was starting to grow!

Apart from the small leaky bits, other problems encountered were pretty minor – the shower filter is poorly positioned making it difficult to unscrew. The hinges of a few lockers worked loose and needed filling before accepting the screws again. We lost a few sail slides. The cockpit locker catches jammed sometimes. Oh and the mirrors in both heads came unstuck from the wall. The crash bar on the binnacle worked loose.

Overall, the boat sailed really well throughout and I learned that she kept speed with early reefing and provided an easier living environment when not on her ears. The 50hp engine did about 300 hours work but most of this was light motor sailing or charging. It does need more soundproofing but was very reliable and drank less than two litres of oil over the entire period.

My summary would be that the Bavaria is a fast sea-worthy yacht with a few minor wrinkles caused by value based volume manufacture. Sure she’s not as comfortable as longer keeled heavies but that’s a chalk and cheese comparison. She’s very comfortable to live on with a decent working fridge and plenty of space below.

Quick technology bit….

Radar – fabulous. We had fog on over six days – sometimes with visibility of less than 20metres. I would have felt very nervous without it and indeed I think it would be foolhardy to go without it.

Chart plotter. Tsunamis Navigator. Took all the slog out of passage planning, navigation and harbour pilotage. Utterly superb. Yes, I had had the paper charts too but this was more to show the family our progress than anything else.

Notebook – Toshiba (had Compaq backup). Amazingly reliable even after a soaking in sea water after someone didn’t close a hatch properly. The screen died, came to half life a day after and in full service the day after that. Two months later it is still working perfectly.

Mobile phone – emails. Great disappointment. Found lines ‘dropped’ very frequently, in particular higher bandwidth ones. Pop server made the problem worse since the whole batch of emails have to be downloaded again as you can’t select which messages you want to download. I ended up calling UK/French servers – at great cost from Spain and Portugal.

Iridium satellite phone. Used it to keep in contact (voice only) when out of mobile range. Great reassurance to home contacts (and some to self!) even if the delay and voice quality takes a bit of getting used to!

If anyone would like details of stopovers, preparations etc – please pm me – I’d be happy to help.

Visit site
Similar experience with a 42....

.. we collected about half a bag of GRP dust when the leaking Rutgerson hatches (all 9 of em) swilled it all down into the engine bay. As well as the stanchion bases the lifeline rigging screws also came undone. These two down to the overworked fitter in Izola, Slovinia (our boat was bound for the eastern Med). Otherwise fine and she is bearing up well to her current existance as a charter boat in Greece quite well.

Steve Cronin

zefender

Visit site
mostly minor stuff.

Plastic storage boxes of different sizes. Seems daft but its uncanny how easily things get 'put away' - never to be found again.

A list of where everything is.

A multiple cigar lighter adaptor. We made one en route but, with so many bits and pieces - mobile phones, gps, notebook, rechargeable torches, handheld VHF etc - they are really useful.

...probably the same for 240V socket

More adaptors for different types of hose connections.

More adaptors for different types of pontoon sockets

I'd also think carefully about getting a freezer and a microwave.

Probably a pole for the genoa and/or a 2nd forestay.

Cockpit cushions - though we bought 'sacrificial' ones for £2 a set in Portugal!

Lee cloths - we didn't have them and managed by wedging ourselves in with pillows and bags etc.
Netting or additional battens for food/crockery lockers. Witnessed some spectacular 'sorcerers apprentice' scenes with plates flying all over the place.

Spices/tobasco/soy sauce - sort of stuff.

Hope this is useful...

zefender

Visit site
Re: stopovers etc

I'll get the log and send a summary - give me a couple of days though!

Having got used to overnight passages I preferred the longer passage, longer stay at destination option, rather than early start day hopping. But there was a smell of mutiny in the air from family so compromised with a bit of both.

zefender

Visit site
Forgive me. How could I be so rude as to omit mentioning the amazing bimini! It's very well made and I received quite a few requests for info on it from other Bav owners met en route. Sadly I didn't have your e-mail but I directed them to this forum. Maybe the 10% commission I'll doubtless earn will pay for the entire trip!

By the way everyone.....Depsol can supply them!

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: stopovers etc

Family! Mutiny! Keel haul the lot of em' Bow to Stern! Mind you with modern antifouls, they'd come up without a scratch!

zefender

Visit site
Re: Unfair odds

One male and three family females - you'd have to be daft to try. Most persuasive option was to threaten a short haul destination void of any shops and then offer a long haul one with Benettons, Zaras etc. Then forget to mention the Sunday arrival day on the latter....

dk

Visit site
Re: Similar experience with a 42....

Bet the Metaxa supplies are running low though!

Hope all went well for the rest of the trip.

Duncan

zefender

Visit site
Mine has a fully battened main with lazyjacks and single line reefing. Although I saw plenty with in mast reefing en route, I would hate to be stuck offshore with a jammed in-mast system.

Visit site
The in-mast only gets jammed if you do something silly with it like try to furl the sail the wrong way round or use the "lock" position on the Selden drum too much. For cruising purposes leave the drum free and use the twin endless line jammers to lock off the furling. Also dont turn fully upwind before reefing, keep about 5degrees off the wind as a flapping sail not only is likely to fold whilst being rolled in but the rigging will also do a lot of damage to the boom.

Steve Cronin

zefender

Visit site
Re: In mast reefling

Agree entirely but it can be tricky to keep accurately 'just off' the wind when the conditions for reefing are already upon you, particularly when the seas have built up.

G

Re: In mast reefling

I have got a Hood vertec main. Fully battened inmast, thus far no problem in reefing in all conditions.

Pete

Visit site
Just below....

... the steering wheel is a black panel with a key. Turn key clockwise then move chrome handle to right of wheel forward. After reefing, reverse process.

Besides, you know when the best ime to reef is don't you?

Steve Cronin