River Humber

Momac

Visit site
We were going to view Goole and South Ferriby yesterday afternoon but in the end Goole seemed too good an offer to miss.

I think you have made the right choice.
The tide times and the weather will not always be suitable for a day trip on the Ouse/Humber.
From Goole you have the option to travel along the canals.

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
Well done. Goole will give you more variety than Naburn - thats assuming the whole thing isn't washed away in tomorrow's floods.

I had a season at the boathouse some years ago - for the same reasons, less than half the price and a few minutes drive from home.

As for the Humber - the proper charts for the river from Hull to Apex light are changed every few weeks. Just stay on the correct side of the buoys and fairly close to the line between them.

Its a nice trip to run down to Spurn and have a night on the anchor just off the pilot's jetty - watching all the big ships go by.

My pilot book is "tidal havens of the Wash and Humber" - shows all the nooks and crannies where you can lay up for a tide, there's lots of them. If I can remember it when I next go to the boat I'll happily lend you it

The charts you can (or could) get at the chandlers near Hull Marina.

Don't know about the 10 mph limit - my boat wouldn't go that fast.

If you go down towards Spurn just watch out for wind against tide - it canput up a fair chop.

Enjoy

Last edited:

PatrickH

Visit site
We've been moored in Hull marina for a couple of years now, it is a good spot to go either up or down the Humber. We have always liked the boathouse marina and waterways museum area of Goole, nice quiet little spot. A few months back we planned our first visit to Goole for an overnight stay at Boathouse - £5 a night with electric was great. However the fog on the day made the trip 'interesting' to say the least. With vis less than 100ft (we passed under the Humber bridge without seeing it!) missed one marker and nearly hit Read's Island! Passage up the Ouse we couldn't see either bank when in mid river. We arrived off the dock and had to stay very close in to see the entrance, but had the full lock to ourselves. Got into the marina quite easily but we did stick out a bit from the others being 45' length. Coming out the next day was interesting as the wind had picked up along the canal but at least we had no fog until back up to the Humber bridge.

Mrs want's to go back to Goole again sometime so keep an eye out we may see you there - or even at Hull if you make it down.

nedmin

Visit site
I moor at Glanford Boat Club,down the River Ancholme access from South Ferriby.Good club with all facilities including club house, slip and boat hoist and at £50 per metre good value..There are security cameras.there is a web site also.www.glanfordboatclub.org.Free wifi on site.

DracoP

Visit site
I read this post with interest. I live in Naburn and am currently restoring a Draco 3000 which I intend to locate at York Marina next year. This may sound like a very stupid question, but as someone who grew up waterskiing 40 years ago, I quite like the thought of a (very) occassional blast on the unrestricted part of the Ouse after motoring down and probably mooring over-night. I am conscious of the obvious danger of junk in the water, which from time to time I row in to on my stretch of the river. That being said, does one see anyone skiing and if so, where?

tinkicker0

Visit site
I read this post with interest. I live in Naburn and am currently restoring a Draco 3000 which I intend to locate at York Marina next year. This may sound like a very stupid question, but as someone who grew up waterskiing 40 years ago, I quite like the thought of a (very) occassional blast on the unrestricted part of the Ouse after motoring down and probably mooring over-night. I am conscious of the obvious danger of junk in the water, which from time to time I row in to on my stretch of the river. That being said, does one see anyone skiing and if so, where?

Nearest waterski area would be on the river trent. 6 knots speed limit on the non tidal Ouse above Naburn lock and 10 knots on the tidal below it I'm afraid so you would have to go below Goole to give it the berries.

Would that be the boat in the village close by the fish n chip van and post office?

Last edited:

DracoP

Visit site
Not sure about fish and chip van. I must have missed that, but it would be on the other side of the river from Naburn and a recent and perhaps foolish purchase that now has a new cover on it.
Thanks for the speed info. Is anyone foolish enough to ski beyond there or would I be on my own? I am sure I will get beyond Goole eventually but in the first few months I shall confine myself to motoring upstream in the sure knowledge that when all goes horribly wrong there is at least some prospect of drifting home.
Do you know the boat? If so, any info would be very gratefully received.

moonraker 36

Visit site
Not sure about fish and chip van. I must have missed that, but it would be on the other side of the river from Naburn and a recent and perhaps foolish purchase that now has a new cover on it.
Thanks for the speed info. Is anyone foolish enough to ski beyond there or would I be on my own? I am sure I will get beyond Goole eventually but in the first few months I shall confine myself to motoring upstream in the sure knowledge that when all goes horribly wrong there is at least some prospect of drifting home.
Do you know the boat? If so, any info would be very gratefully received.

used to ski on the trent at high marham.
we used to do a charity event called the bridge to bridge.from high marham to keadby bridge,but some carried on to the humber bridge if they carried enough fuel.
their used to be a ski area on the ouse at acaster melbis and selby but you would also need to be a member.

just seen the vid of your boat on the other post.i wouldnt be trying to ski behind that on the trent or ouse.

Last edited:

Racingfrank7

Visit site
Nearest waterski area would be on the river trent. 6 knots speed limit on the non tidal Ouse above Naburn lock and 10 knots on the tidal below it I'm afraid so you would have to go below Goole to give it the berries.

Would that be the boat in the village close by the fish n chip van and post office?

That's not a 100% correct, there is a water ski zone on the tidal Ouse from acaster selby up to where Thomas dike comes in to the Ouse there's even BW signs up saying water ski zone.
About 10 mins from naburn lock.
I'm not saying you could go flat out tho !!

Last edited:

tinkicker0

Visit site
That's not a 100% correct, there is a water ski zone on the tidal Ouse from acaster selby up to where Thomas dike comes in to the Ouse there's even BW signs up saying water ski zone.
About 10 mins from naburn lock.
I'm not saying you could go flat out tho !!

Well I never. Never heard of it before now. No speed limit up there.

Sounds a bit like the A64 reach ahem.

DracoP

Visit site
Thanks for the info people. As a sculler as well as a motorboater, I have, on ocassion, noticed something akin to wake on the A64 reach. It always prompts me to share my highly developed sense of humour and decorum with the driver in question.