River flows

Mataji

Visit site
I only arrived on the river last September and cruised the upper Thames through to October. Only experienced green boards.
We now have green boards the full length of the river. Is this normal for this time of year?

Northern Star

Visit site
I would say yes and the yellow and red boards tend to be more Nov-Feb when there are fewer people cruising and the weather is worse and wetter.

Having said that I have had many Xmas days on the river cruising down to Hampton Court and it is all down to river levels and how the streams are managed over time.

Freeman30

Visit site
We had a major flood in the summer of 2007 so it is not unknown. But it does not happen overnight so can be predicted if you keep your eyes open.

Gavin E

Visit site
Water on our stretch is at summer levels and crystal clear. This could be a bit of a problem after I had a bit of a mishap while cleaning the boat on Sunday and knocked a dish over the side. I'll get in trouble if the good lady happens to look over the edge and sees it laying there, just out of reach of the boat hook and clear evidence of crockery misuse....
So far she has not noticed its absence... but its just a matter of time...

Momac

Visit site
The river here (River Trent ) was high occasionally over this winter but not escaping the banks so far.
A few flakes of snow this evening.

DrakesH

Visit site
6.45am on April Fool's Day, woken up by a phone call from some idiot pretending that there's a Flood Alert at Eton.... oh wait, there actually *is* a flood alert :mad:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Good info as ever on this page

thamesboating.info/levels.php

direct link:

Thames River conditions

Thanks to Chris at Bourne End for the best laid out web page on the entire internet for the middle Thames.

IMG_20230401_090833.jpg

Always a joy to look at that page. Its brilliant.

Check out the rainfall data in the catchment !! River is going to be flying...

about 35mm at Benson yesterday. That is some water on the way. Fortunately levels were very low yesterday so perhaps no flooding but a heck of a lot of the wet stuff to shift.

The gauging weir at Marsh is always a good one to watch. Looks like a few feet pulled middle of the night thats going to be creeping back up.

Marsh lock on gaugemap (1 day)IMG_20230401_090716.jpg

Last edited:

shades

Visit site
Good info as ever on this page

thamesboating.info/levels.php

direct link:

Thames River conditions

Thanks to Chris at Bourne End for the best laid out web page on the entire internet for the middle Thames.

View attachment 154111

Always a joy to look at that page. Its brilliant.

Check out the rainfall data in the catchment !! River is going to be flying...

about 35mm at Benson yesterday. That is some water on the way. Fortunately levels were very low yesterday so perhaps no flooding but a heck of a lot of the wet stuff to shift.

The gauging weir at Marsh is always a good one to watch. Looks like a few feet pulled middle of the night thats going to be creeping back up.

Marsh lock on gaugemap (1 day)View attachment 154112
1680366624417.png

oldgit

Visit site
Moored at Allington Lock.
At LW the river was full to the brim.
All the weir gates fully open.

Hopefully things will look better tomorrow.
Town Centre.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
That is above the Windsor and Maidenhead flood channel discharge so it is well looked after. 50 tons of water per second going somewhere else always helps. Mind you 150 tons a second through Eton bridge is quite a lot !

I remember a number of yars ago one of their boats got pinned across the bridge and needed a good pull from one of the Agency tugs to get it off.

All good fun on the River.

oldgit

Visit site
That is above the Windsor and Maidenhead flood channel discharge so it is well looked after. 50 tons of water per second going somewhere else always helps. Mind you 150 tons a second through Eton bridge is quite a lot !

I remember a number of yars ago one of their boats got pinned across the bridge and needed a good pull from one of the Agency tugs to get it off.

All good fun on the River.
Lockie mentioned 150 tons at full flow at Allington. is that possible. ?