River Crouch (Roach) NOTICE TO MARINERS No 33 of 2015

FullCircle

Visit site
[FONT=&quot]NOTICE TO MARINERS No 33 of 2015[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]River Roach - Paglesham Boatyard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please be advised that Paglesham Boatyard is now under new ownership.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As of 10th July 2015 the boatyard pontoon is no longer available for vessels to moor on. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The slipway and afloat moorings are also closed to visitors until further notice.[/FONT]

Konsort Grace

Visit site
I have been told by a local source that all of the liveaboards in the mud berths have been given notice to leave and that there may not be any facilities for leisure craft either. The new owner is going to be using the yard and pontoon for the construction of barge type houseboats that will be taken to London as affordable housing.

Boz

Visit site
I have been told by a local source that all of the liveaboards in the mud berths have been given notice to leave and that there may not be any facilities for leisure craft either. The new owner is going to be using the yard and pontoon for the construction of barge type houseboats that will be taken to London as affordable housing.

I've never been as far as Paglesham. I usually use Yokesfleet or Quay reach. How many Livaboards are affected. I suppose the change may employ a few local tradesmen. Sad to uproot people like that though:(

Jan Harber

Visit site
We were at Paglesham just over a week ago and were saddened by the air of dereliction around the yard at the Waterside. The pontoon does not look to have been maintained much recently and the doors to Shuttlewood's old black shed are boarded up. The boatyard itself has been cleared of almost everything except one crane and a hulk, that apparently sank when they tried to take it round to Wakering so it's still there. The surrounding fenced enclosures, gates and portacabins make it look like an abandoned prison camp. There are two or three remaining houseboats in the mud on the upriver side of Shuttlewoods shed but the rest of the liveaboards seem to have departed.
I've been told that the CHA NtM is probably to deter previous occupants from bringing their boats/hulks back, it will certainly also deter any visiting yachtsmen.
The Roach Sailing Association, the parish council and another group who have moorings in Paglesham Reach (only a few moorings belong to the yard) are hoping that their existing negotiated rights will be respected and they will still have access. There are similarities here to what has happened at Hoo Marina.
There were four visiting Dutch yachts when we were there but I don't think they will have been very impressed by the non-existent facilities/welcome ashore...in fact they left on the tide to go out through the Havengore bridge.
My dad, Jack Coote, kept a series of boats at Paglesham, starting with Blue Shoal in 1960, through to 1993 when he died. We sailed various boats of our own from Paglesham for about twenty-five years and have many happy memories of the Roach, including the last Sunday of Burnham Week throughout the 1970s when it was tradition for the racing yachts (including Edward Heath and Morning Cloud) to come round and go ashore up the lane for a drink at the Plough and Sail.
I am happy to report that the Yokesfleet is still as it was and the channel up to Sutton Wharf (where there is a thriving boatyard) has now been marked with lit buoys and other withies/posts all the way from Barlingness.

View attachment 52523

Tried to post another pix but have exceeded quota.

Last edited:

Konsort Grace

Visit site
I've never been as far as Paglesham. I usually use Yokesfleet or Quay reach. How many Livaboards are affected. I suppose the change may employ a few local tradesmen. Sad to uproot people like that though:(

From memory there were about 10 liveaboard vessels, all have been told to leave.

Jan Harber

Visit site
This pic, taken on Friday July 3rd, shows just three houseboats remaining at Paglesham. I believe the others had already left but could return given half a chance.

Paglesham Pontoon IMG_2435.jpg

Supine Being

Visit site
I guess that the fact that they're turfing out liveboards on houseboats so that they can put in place their mission to deliver affordable houseboat accomodation means that, before all else, the new owners suffer from a lack of irony.

David2452

Visit site
Me too, canals are full to bursting, any marina with proper live aboard moorings ditto, tidal Thames moorings like Butlers Wharf all full, so where any number that could really sustain a business would go is beyond me.

erbster

travellingaurora.wordpress.com
I was planning to bring my 19' trailer sailer from the midlands for a weeks' trip in the area. I'm looking for a place to launch, then leave van and trailer for a week. My plan was to work North and likely recover on the Orwell (I'll get a lift back to pick up trailer).

I was hoping to use Paglesham, but given this thread, that seems a non-starter.
On Google Earth I can see a boatyard at the head of the Roach at Rochford with a slipway, but can't see what it's called.
Can anyone make some recommendations please?