River Crouch (Roach) NOTICE TO MARINERS No 33 of 2015

FullCircle

Visit site
Wakering YC and Suttons Wharf are on the same site. Give them a ring.
Not quite correct.
Wakering YC is on the site adjacent to Sutton's Wharf, but is a wholly separate thing. No slip at WYC.

Ring Nigel at Carter and Ward, not Clarke and Carter as they are Yacht Brokers in Burnham. As Roger said, the number is 01702 546147, but also try the mobile number 07850384819 or 07765398126
Rochford do have a good slipway, but you will need to get there promptly as tide is restricted to a max of +/- 1 HW. On some Neaps, the water doesn't make at all.

Also, there is a security gate which is locked at all times, so you will need to make a prior arrangement.

The withies leading out to the main deep water are now lit, and easy to follow.

I mostly winter there, it's a good yard. You would be able to store your car and trailer for the week securely there, Rochford railway station is a fiver in the taxi.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I was planning to bring my 19' trailer sailer from the midlands for a weeks' trip in the area. I'm looking for a place to launch, then leave van and trailer for a week. My plan was to work North and likely recover on the Orwell (I'll get a lift back to pick up trailer).

I was hoping to use Paglesham, but given this thread, that seems a non-starter.
On Google Earth I can see a boatyard at the head of the Roach at Rochford with a slipway, but can't see what it's called.
Can anyone make some recommendations please?
Sutton's Wharf is the boatyard at the head of the Roach. Speak to Nigel on 01702 546147. The river is only there at high water, so you will need to plan your launch time. But it is now well buoyed. Pick up a Roach Sailing Association buoy at Paglesham, down river from the jetty if you need to sort things out. Paglesham is 4.5 miles downriver from Rochford.
Good secure parking inside the gate at Sutton's Wharf - too secure in my opinion [people with boat's in the yard can't access them without a key].

erbster

travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Thanks for the recommendation, Glayva. I'm worried that the deteriorating forecast is going to cause a mutiny.
I'm now considering a marine launch- one of the ones near a railway station, so I can take the kids to London for the day when the weather's carp (cabin fever sets in quickly with a family of four on a nineteen footer).

Bridgemarsh and Fambridge look like better bets now, given the weather.

FullCircle

Visit site
Bridgemarsh railway station is closer, but shop and pub in the village about 1.5 miles

Fambridge pub is 1/2 mile railway about a mile, and no shop at all, nearest is Cold Norton 3 miles.

Bridgemarsh is Biff 07968 696815 or John 07802 658398

You could go to Hullbridge....

Nunfa1

Visit site
Hullbridge is an option, I think the public car park next to the slipway is free. It's a short drive to Rayleigh for the train direct into Liverpool Street.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone. We're launching at Fambridge and I think I'll take the kids to London on the train on Saturday. We'll take the weather one day at a time...

it's just started raining. And there's no wind

Are you launching at the Yacht Station or the marina?

ex-Gladys

Visit site
It's like a big waiting game... We planned a week in the Deben and Backwaters, but a windy Monday, and a defective remote radio station (and no other option) resulted in four pleasant days in Ipswich... back to Mersea today. Coastguard forecast was giving very much the 'later' message, still didn't stop a lot of looks over the shoulder... pretty unpleasant and wet as we got back though.