Rig Tuning recommendation please.

tom52

Visit site
Thanks everyone who responded with tips about weather helm last week.

I've investigated further and discovered that my mast rake measured along the boom by plumb line is 18 inches. I think this much rake might be the culprit but I dont know whether such a rake is reasonable for a Moody S31 (and I have had no response from the Moody Owners site). I was expecting to find a rake something like 9 inches.

Unless someone can tell me 18 inches is OK I am proposing to retune the rig to a 9 inch rake but the masthead rig has double aft swept spreaders as well as fore and aft lowers. Is this too complicated for amateur tuning ?

If yes, who would you recommend for rig tuning in the Poole area and what is it likely to cost me?

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
No - not too difficult, with a helper (I certainly do my own 3 spreader rig).

Just be careful you have enough adjustment available to take up the reduction in length of the forestay, and the increase in the length of the backstay that you will need - it will be quite a lot. The caps D1's, D2's will probably be OK, but I'd be very careful about the forestay (and maybe the foil) before starting - it's a b*****r to start and then find you havent got enough travel on the rigging screws!

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
FWIW

I estimate that the backstay will need to be 3.7 inches longer, and the forestay 2.7 inches shorter. At a pinch you could use an extra toggle to lengthen the backstay (it isnt too heavily loaded in comparison). Shortening the forestay/headfoil could be much trickier.

The numbers make some simplistic assumptions ( and some gross ones such as mast height!!!), but I've used some numbers from similar 30 foot cruising boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>