RIB in Florida

MarcusMan

Visit site
Well, its at least 9 months since I posted here and a lot has happened. The main thing is that in 18 months herself and I are emigrating to the Gulf Coast of Florida. The sad part of this is that we ae going to have to sell the Mainship but we're thinking of taking the 7.5m Ribeye with us. Only thing is, the only RIB I've seen out there was in the ownership of the US Coastguard (and was busy arresting someone for being drunk in charge of a boat when I saw them).

Anyone got any views about using and keeping a RIB over there (and anyone know what they call them over there).

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Go for it it may take off and you find yoursef a business to get into

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.soltron.co.uk>the website</A>

ArthurWood

Visit site
No problem; for registration you will need a bill of sale and certificate of origin. Proof of having paid sales tax might be useful, otherwise you will have to pay the 6-7% local sales tax. Import duty will be a flat 10% on anything over your allowance. They are called "rigid inflatable boats" over here, believe it or not. There are a lot around, but not as long as 7.5m. Saw the Coast Guard in one just the other day when out w/Jon Bailey. You will find the boating over here a lot calmer (and warmer) and cheaper. I don't see a prob of storing and using. If you don't have a place at your house, there are plenty of storage areas and there are numerous boat ramps. Where on the Gulf will you be?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk
Despite seeing hundreds of boats in the last few days, as Arthur says the only rib was owned by the Coastguard.

Whether it makes economic sense is another matter, i.e. sell in uk, change UKP for USD and buy something over here, but why not be a little different and give the locals a run for their money.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MarcusMan

Visit site
We know Longboat Key quite well and are hoping to keep our boat at the Dry Dock (We are on the waiting list). We are buying out at Lakewood Ranch. Once we get over there in October 2005 it would be good to meet up. We are planning trips over there this year in September for 3 weeks, 4 weeks in November, and in 2005 4 weeks in January and 4 weeks in May to keep an eye on the build of the new house.

Bye the way, the place we saw the coastguard arresting someone was the Salty Dog by Mote Marine.

Take care
Mark & Sue

<hr width=100% size=1>

ArthurWood

Visit site
You'll be close to a nice restaurant at the Dry Dock. We were out looking around Lakewood Ranch a week or so ago. It's a huge development, isn't it and with some beautiful houses.

Ah, the Salty Dog - our son and I staggered out of there a few days ago after several pints of Stella. Best place in the area for fish and chips, too, but don't order the large portion or you'll need a doggie bag.
There's no shortage of police, Coast Guard, Marine Patrol etc on the water around here. The Sarasota police keep their 40 ft-ish Scarab in our marina.

Are you retiring out here? If so, how are you handling residence permits. Just curious.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MarcusMan

Visit site
Hi Arthur

I guess you'd call me a lucky git! Due to an accident of birth (over there rather than over here) I have dual nationality.

The Ranch is certainly a huge site - somehow its done much better than it would be here in the UK.

Look forward to meeting up for a beer.

Mark & Sue

<hr width=100% size=1>

ArthurWood

Visit site
There's grouper and there's club, but I've never heard of a grouper club sandwich/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Both are very tasty, however.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Other threads that may be of interest