Rhone 2015 and the Burgundy route - French canals

Treecle

Visit site
We're planning to enter the French canals at the bottom of the Rhone at the beginning of August. We were hoping to take the Burgundy route and exit at Rouen in mid/late September.

Does anyone have any up to date information on our proposed route? Current flow on the Rhone for example? We saw the note about Viviers (a shame, that was one of my favourite stops on the way down two years ago).

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Some relevant resources
I don't know about the C de Bourgogne but right now the C du Centre is already short of water and boats are being grouped into locks to save water. As ever the Marne-Saone is the more reliable option, although I've been told recently that the few commercials that helped to maintain depth are gradually disappearing. We're in Auxonne and the weather has been blistering, the river flat calm.

Visit site
On my opposite direction, currently nearing balesmes tunnel heading south. There's a lot of new pontoons that have been installed along the route, most with elec n water. There's also a lot more fuel options in some locations due to leclerk and carifour springing up, (don't have a go about the spelling, even spell check isn't getting it). Went through Marne central about 10 days ago not a problem, saying that hit vitry and from there for next 40km the weed beds were a nightmare,
Very slow, fuel consumeing and a tad worrying, like when leaving a lock and having to go astern just to regain steerage.
Thank goodness for duel engine intake and water strainer. They had a machine out with what was akin to an old alanside cutter but obviously submersible, hope it works coz me and high time we're doing a better job just collecting the stuff and when I got down to about 2kmh reverse up and have anouther go. Thank you Grehan for web site prep stuff, I went for the over sized water strainer, blimey if it was see weed I could have opened a restraunt or a pharmacy.
Any way all good, but there was a VHF bloke checking depths on the side spills, so perhaps there getting concerned.
Grehan you going n-s, s-n

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
The Canal de Bourgogne is, according to a report this morning quoting VNF, closed between Aisy PK91 and Cheney PK39 from Sunday 26th July until further notice.

Malheuresement, our 2015 voyaging plans, departing Auxonne and heading for Nancy, Strasbourg* and Basel, have had to be put on hold and this w/e we have to return to Blighty for family reasons. Hopefully we will resume in a month, maybe two. Tant pis.

(* plus the Arzviller boat lift - on the canal between Nancy and Strasbourg - has not yet been repaired and returned to operation as was promised for July 15th and looks unlikely for the foreseeable future.)

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Our experances 2008 it a long time ago I know , we did it on late sept Oct , we draft was 1.5 , we had no end of problem in the end and four days in , owe had to turn back because of lack of water .
We also had to clean the in take filter every 15 mins has it got block with pine needles and weeds .
It may be more water now , but unless I know for sure I find another route if you draft was 1.5 plus .

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
The Canal de Bourgogne is, according to a report this morning quoting VNF, closed between Aisy PK91 and Cheney PK39 from Sunday 26th July until further notice.
Rescinded - rumour reported as fact by those who should know better (a port capitainerie along the route). Possible scaremongering, but it has been very dry and hot and the C du Centre and the C de Bourgogne are 'at risk' although usually not quite this early in the season.
I noted Paddywackcocker's reports of weed along the Marne-Saone; the damned stuff is becoming a hazard practically everywhere. Some of the VNF's tactics appear to involve chopping it up, with every resulting little bit a potential new plant. Doh.
Clogged - http://www.french-waterways.com/practicalities/clogged.html - written pre-weed.

Last edited:

saskia

Visit site
We went through the MarneSaone last month and also found the weed a nightmare, as well as algae in places. Endlessly emptying the strainer and at times rodding the inlet pipe while drifting in mid-canal. Be warned!

OldBawley

Visit site
Did the Marne Saone almost 30 years ago, weed was a problem then to. Must have been clean water then, I remember when going down in locks the sweet water mussels pissing all over the boat.

WightMistress

Visit site
Hi All,
We spent from 2011 to 2017 on and off, on our boat and another in the French waterways from Cap Estang as far north as Dunkirk. Fabulous!! I now have a question: I am about to carry out a delivery of a catamaran from Sardinia to Portsmouth and am going to come up through the waterways. Does anyone here have up to date information/recommendation for the best place to take the masts down in the Port St Louis area please?
Many thanks
Steve