Reverse P course

Judders

Visit site
Just had the SIs for the 2016 Impala Nationals in Brixham and we've been promised a 'Reverse P course' for one race.

I can't for the life of me think what that is?

Do I know it by another name?

A quick Google hasn't helped and the appendix to the SIs isn't out yet.

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Probably: Long beat to port hand w/w mark, reach, p/h gybe mark, reach to pin (leave to s/board), run to p/h leeward mark/gate.

This is the Cowes clubs' reverse P. Never known it used, though.

reverse P.jpg

Judders

Visit site
Thanks.

In all my days, I don't recall ever having sailed one of those but it looks fair enough. All the facets of a triangle-sausage but in one lap.

flaming

Visit site
Thanks.

In all my days, I don't recall ever having sailed one of those but it looks fair enough. All the facets of a triangle-sausage but in one lap.

Looks like only one opportunity to screw up the hoist and the drop!

Mark Taylor

Visit site
The Reverse P course used in the RS dinghy fleets has 5 rounding marks plus the start/finish line.

Start line is approximately a third to half way up the windward beat.

From SL to Mark 1 (windward mark)........leave it to port and broad reach on starboard to Mark 2..........then dead downwind to Mark 3 (which is approximately half way back down the course) and is left to port................Mark 4 is left to starboard and you then run down wind to Mark 5, which is left to Port and you then go back up the windward leg to Mark 1.

Start/Finish line are on the axis of Mark 1 to Mark 5, passing through the line only on the beat

So you basically sail: Beat / Reach / Run / Reach / Run / Beat for each lap of the course.

I like the course.......lots of passing opportunities at the marks plus choices on the runs.......but it is a course that needs good mark laying and also better in steadier winds because options for race officer limited if the wind starts shifting!

Mark

Mark Taylor

Visit site
Just looked at the SIs for the 2014 Sonata Nationals which were actually held at Brixham (venue for 2016 Impala nationals) and the Reverse P course they use looks like the one posted by Keen Ed, rather than the RS course I described above........it had two quite long broad reaches and a very short run at the bottom, so a premium on boat positioning and mark rounding on the last two buoys before starting the windward leg.