Resturant in Burnham on Crouch Marina.

oldgit

Visit site
Have very minor role in organising a RCC club cruise to Burnham on Sea at Easter.
Is the resturant up and running and likely to be open over the entire Easter weekend.
Anything regards food or drinks opened up or closed in the village. ?

Plum

Visit site
Have very minor role in organising a RCC club cruise to Burnham on Sea at Easter.
Is the resturant up and running and likely to be open over the entire Easter weekend.
Burnham on Sea in Somerset? I assume you mean Burnham on Crouch. Which restaurant are you refering to?

Parabordi

Visit site
Swallowtail Restaurant?

Last edited:

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi OG

Not much change to the range of eateries in Burnham-on-Crouch lately. The so called Tapas bar has given up any pretence of Spanish connections and re ooened as a bar. Last significant change was well pre Covid when the Contented Sole closed and was re opened as the Italian restaurant Bellas. Some time before Covid I heard that the Swallowtail had been taken over by BYH to run themseves fagher than leasing to a caterer. I have eaten there since and found it OK but nothing to write home about. That was over a year ago.

My recommendations would be the Royal Coriinthian at the other end of the river wall from BYH, Sargeant Peppers, a family runTex Mex, a bit west of the clock tower in the town centre and the Ruam Thai an excellent family run Thai restaurant upstairs on the other side of the Hign street / Station road even further west. Having only lived in Burnham for 28 years, I'm never quite sure where the High Street becomes Station road.

All these are an easy walk from the harbour, provided it's not pissing down.

Don't let any of our Town Councillors hear you calling Burnham a village😉!

Peter.

Daydream believer

Visit site
All these are an easy walk from the harbour, provided it's not pissing down.

Don't let any of our Town Councillors hear you calling Burnham a village😉!
Easy walk to the Royal Corinthian??? :cry:
It is b..y miles:eek:
If you go take a torch. I was walking the road from the Coop to the marina, one dark night & walked into a speed bump, which go right across the road. I went base over apex & ripped trousers on both knees. Hurt both wrists so much i could not get up. I was rolling in the road like some drunk, dreading i would get run over. There is a short cut through the houses, but I defy anyone to find it. As for the Pizza place opposite the library- forget it. The worse pizza I have ever had. It actually had sawdust in it as if somebody had been sawing wood over the pizza.
Recommend Burnham Grill. they do takeaways & I often go there.
Love Burnham. Pity the ditch is silting up though. many happy memories sailing there.
If I meet a councillor I will call it a hamlet.;):p

Daydream believer

Visit site
It's badely a mile from BYH to RCYC and, if you start off by heading for the Coop, you're going the wrong way! Just walk along the sea wall and you'll get to all the places I mentioned. A 1 mile walk should be done in 15 to 20 minutes depending whether you walk briskly or meander.

Peter.
Can you actually get along the sea wall or is it blocked off at one section?

SaltIre

Visit site
It's badely a mile from BYH to RCYC and, if you start off by heading for the Coop, you're going the wrong way! Just walk along the sea wall and you'll get to all the places I mentioned. A 1 mile walk should be done in 15 to 20 minutes depending whether you walk briskly or meander.

Peter.
Is one more or less likely to come to grief walking along a sea wall than if ambushed by a speed bump? :)

Daydream believer

Visit site
Is one more or less likely to come to grief walking along a sea wall than if ambushed by a speed bump? :)
The point is that I thought that it was blocked off. It has not been confirmed or denied either way, which suggests that someone needs to get out more. ;)
When I did it, I had to to walk through the dodgy footpath in the bushes from the car park, then the housing estate. To find the way back in the dark can be difficult, if one does not know the way.
It is Saturday today, so I suggest that we send Peter Wright ( or you if you are a Burnham boy, but you do not say!!) to go & take a look. A walk would do one good & will be helping forumites.🤣
So which one is volunteering? I cannot go I am still on crutches. :cry:

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
For somewhere different. The Parlour Cafe at Creaksea is a 15 minute walk from the marina. Walk up the road that leads out of the marina and look for a footpath on the left, heading West. About - Parlour Cafe at Creeksea Place Barns after visiting you can walk down the lane to the river and back to the marina along the seawall.

DanTribe

Visit site
The point is that I thought that it was blocked off. It has not been confirmed or denied either way, which suggests that someone needs to get out more. ;)
When I did it, I had to to walk through the dodgy footpath in the bushes from the car park, then the housing estate. To find the way back in the dark can be difficult, if one does not know the way.
It is Saturday today, so I suggest that we send Peter Wright ( or you if you are a Burnham boy, but you do not say!!) to go & take a look. A walk would do one good & will be helping forumites.🤣
So which one is volunteering? I cannot go I am still on crutches. :cry:
I can never remember it being blocked any time in the last 60 years. A torch would be useful for the last bit from the end of West Quay along the east bank of the marina. But a very pleasant pedestrian only walk.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I can never remember it being blocked any time in the last 60 years. A torch would be useful for the last bit from the end of West Quay along the east bank of the marina. But a very pleasant pedestrian only walk.
It was the marina staff that told me it was closed & they directed me to the path through the wooded section.
When I am fit again I will take the E-Brompton & have a look for myself. Burnham is only 9.5miles away.

PeterBoater

Visit site
At the top of the brow from the pontoons, turn right and up the bank to the open grass field, cross that diagonally and it comes out on the seawall path. Shorter than going along the marina east bank. The seawall path has a few benches and low walls to sit on for a breather if required.

DanTribe

Visit site
Depending on how many you expect, the Swallowtail in BYH has an area which can be reserved for club meetings. I found service in the past somewhat lacking but recently very good. Royal Burnham and Royal Corinthian both welcome visiting clubs but could already be booked. Many excellent restaurants in town but often can't cope with large bookings.

PeterWright

Visit site
Its been a while,... does the White Harte not warrant a favorable mention these days?
Only if you like your vegetables boiled to death in traditional English style. However, for a pint or two on a pleasant sommer's evening, this is still a great place.

The White Hart and the Anchor are just two of the watering holes on the walk from BYH to the RCYC. Thanks to all those who added detail to my advice on this pleasant walk while I was driving across Europe, so not responding. It has not been blocked since I moved to Burnham in Feb 1996 and, going a bit further to Rice & Coles pontoon, forms my favourite walk from my house near BYH. Second favourite is to the Parlour cafe across the field and home again by the upriver sea wall, but that's not for muddy days.

Peter.

DanTribe

Visit site
Its been a while,... does the White Harte not warrant a favorable mention these days?
Top place, it seems to have some sort of force field, I cannot walk past without getting drawn in
But as a venue to arrange a sit down meal for a large party it might not be first choice.
Rather depends on how many and what their expectations are.