Resin smell in lockers

nealeb

Visit site
Although my boat is now a couple of years old and I tend to leave it with the locker doors open to try to air them, there is still enough resin smell to taint food that is not in metal or glass containers.

Anyone have any good tips for getting rid of the smell, or pointers to more information?

Thanks,

<hr width=100% size=1>

greatspirit

Visit site
Hi Nealeb
I think the persistent smell is due to small amounts of incompletely cured resin. Completely sealing the inside of the lockers with epoxy resin might help and would also prevent internal osmosis from condensation.
Regards
Tim

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the smell is styrene monomer which is present in all laminates. it is the active ingredient in osmosis though that won't be a problem in a locker!

a hot atmosphere makes it dissipate faster so one cure is a season or two in the tropics. if that doesn't appeal, paint the insides of the lockers!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
It's an unfortunate fact that certain unscrupulous boat builders have for some years now been using cheap plastic style stuff instead of real genuine boat building timber in a dastardly plot to increase profits. You have bought one of these fake boats. Take it back to the shop and demand a refund.
If that fails try a wash down with hot water and white vinegar.
Next time insist on real wood.
IanW

<hr width=100% size=1>Vertue 203, Patience

Birdseye

Visit site
I like the smell of styrene. Infinitely preferable to the heads on most old wooden boats!

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
swill them out with diesel, at least you wont be worried about the resin smell anymore /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Woof</A>

nealeb

Visit site
Ian - you are only half-right! The only plastic in my boat is the hull itself; all else from internal furniture through laminated deck beams to the spars is timber. Unfortunately the locker is against the inside of the hull... And is having to wash in hot water and vinegar some sort of penance for having any plastic around?

So, the consensus is to coat the inside of the locker with something else that smells, or learn to love the taste of styrene!

Seriously, though, sounds like a fairly insoluble problem that only time will improve. Thanks for the comments.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

A large volume boat builder ....

A builder that flooded the market with his models is well known to have been sending out boats that had not been left to cure off properly. The mouldings were still 'green' when all internals / linings etc fitted. This meant that buyers received boats that literally 'stank'. And virtually impossible to remove the stink.
I know of various examples of this builder that still after 3 - 4 yrs. still stink. In fact one example I can't sit inside for more than half hour or so.
The situation with that builder has now changed - as many of his boats now lay waiting buyers in fields and we have the opposite sitaution now ...... if you buy a boat from them now ..... its last years build, with this years Hull No. stamped on. Yep to fool the buyer into thinking he's got this years boat - he does not stamp the hull no. till it is literally just going on the transporter to ship out. As far as I know the builder is the only one to know the actual build date and that is withheld.

So if he can't get rid of the smell - then it may not be possible to do it completely.
I can only suggest that a coating of some sealant or paint may help ..... but I have tio say that even my old traditional built 30yr old GRP boat has the GRP smell in lockers - but doesn't taint food etc. as its not so strong.

Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

Visit site
Re: A large volume boat builder ....

> The mouldings were still 'green' when all internals / linings etc fitted.

If you refer to the internal structural mouldings, then all I can say is thank goodness they are mated when the laminate is green!

> if you buy a boat from them now ..... its last years build, with this
> years Hull No. stamped on

It is standard practice at Benetteau and Bavaria to date autumn production models with the next year. I believe a surveyor should be able to interpret the euro standard production serial hull number and identify the month of manufacture.

My autumn Bavaria Match 35 will be delivered in November and launched in January so the 2005 date is not that misleading.

Opal are quite open about this dating practice.

I have no knowledge of fields of cruising Bavaria models going green through neglect in the export compound, last March and April Opal had a few unsold Autumn models but they would not budge more than 3.5% in price so I do not think there is a panic over supply situation.

It is interest however to note that Bavaria are finally doing something about their dowdy interiors so maybe this indicates they can no longer sell them like hot cakes.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Who mentioned Bavaria ?

Being involved in boat production - I am fully waware of the installation of structural components while hull is still 'green' .... in the case of the boats I am involved with - the structural bulkheads are installed while the hull is still held in its mould and form cradle. I was talking about the non-structural components that luiterally seal in the smell and uncured resins etc.

The comment about hull no. is valid as it was noted that this builder had stock outside the factory standing - NOT in dealers premises and some were well over a reasonable time period from moulding ........ sorry but an early 2003 should not be stamped 2004, 2004 - 2005 etc. For me - Hull No.is indicative of moulding consecutive number - not sales.

I am not going to be drawn into quoting the builders name - as they are revising their practice as I believe in light of market reducing etc.

<font color=blue>Interested what other forumites think of Hull no's that reflect sale date - not moulding date ......</font color=blue>

With regard to Opal - I hear tales of lack of support / after sales repairs and also from others of excellent service / after-care ..... one item I hear often is their reluctance to bend on pricing and allowances ...... I can understand this actually - as on some boats the margin is not so great and throw in after-sales care and any extras for Boat Show specials etc ..... makes it more difficult to agree with some price reduction demands.

Anyway - soon the market in UK will see the entry of our boat - that will put this subject to bed and show a level of quality only normally seen in the top marques ..... we expect to hit UK sometime 2005 and will be interested in possible OOD Racing classes as well as Cruising ......

G

Mis-representation

I consider false hull number and mis-leading info to be mis-representation and not suitable practice for any industry.

Cars receive their chassis numbers and engine numbers etc. when built - not when passed out to dealers ......

Sorry but I most definitely do not agree ...... and to say that a surveyor can easily id month of build - why should anyone have to be a detective to get the facts about the boat instead of the duff info given by suppliers etc.

WHY should such a practice be used - other than to suggest to many buyers who expect new for new money that they are getting new ?

Sorry - you may be happy about it - I'm definitely not.

Visit site

> I was talking about the non-structural components that literally
> seal in the smell and uncured resins etc

I am surprised to hear that molecules which have wriggled out of a GRP laminate can then be restrained by hull lining and cupboards.

> Anyway - soon the market in UK will see the entry of our boat

Sounds interesting, please keep us posted at YBW.com

> possible OOD Racing classes as well as Cruising

Kick starting an OOD class is a tall order!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: Mis-representation

You are mixing 2 debates.

I agree that if a completed boat sits in a compound for 6 months and only gets a manufacturing serial number and production date stamp on receipt of a dealer order, then yes customers are being mislead.

However applying next years model number from September onwards seems to be a well understood convention and does not mislead providing the date of manufacture is genuine.

At the end of the day boats are too expensive for manufacturers to routinely maintain 6 months of over production, so the situation is self limiting.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

The boat needs to ventilate for a reasonable period before closing up various areas ...... the builder I am referring to did not allow this period during his rush and was basically condemning buyers to a resin saturated msell atmosphere in the boats. I know examples that even after 3 years are still stinking the owners out ..... for me it is unnacceptable.

Advertise on YBW.com ........... not likely !! I am trying to get to powers that be - to interest a review of the Cruiser - Racers we are introducing.

OOD class ..... this will actually self-generate we hope along the lines of the Sigmas etc. - where competitive owners generated a healthy following - blossoming into the well known race class. The 26, 31 and even the 35 are all capable of similar speed and handling - in fact it is anticipated that they will exceed ..... so once people see them go AND the level of cruise comfort as well - lets see what happens.

I will not cross the advert line of YBW - so you'll just have to read my posts and when suitable my signature will have the web-address probably.

Details are withheld at moment while final specifications for UK market are sorted .......

Cheers

Visit site

> Advertise on YBW.com ........... not likely !!

But you could tell us what you do when yacht construction techniques and quality are debated.

> OOD class ..... this will actually self-generate we hope along the
> lines of the Sigmas etc.

Ever since the Sigma 33 OOD many yacht builders have had a similar aspiration but maybe the Sigma 33 OOD was a one-off event. At the time IOR was going into decline and CHS was a too agricultural formula for serious racing.

25 years later the racing fraternity have more sophisticated handicap formulas and software. Even the X-Yacht 323, which in the UK is at near OOD critical mass, has sprouted a sports variant.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I have option on 2 IOR 25 moulds ...... when in production in Germany - they won every event they entered ...... the moulds were handed over to the moulders in payment for debts. The boat ceased production as the builder concentrated on Cruisers for other markets. During a number of years they developed their own Cruiser Racers that are now poised to hit the UK scene.

I would never be disapointed if they didn't create a OOD class as with Sigmas ..... that is a tall order and one that would take time - as Sigmas case. But I feel sure that the competitiveness of the boats will create their own field amongst owners and eventually lead to something.

Pass on construction details - I am not a builder myself - Surveyor yes, driving force on import to UK yes ....... so construction detail that is implied by your comment would have to be a question I would pass to my partners who actually build ... as you can understand not all techniques will they pass on ...

I will pass via the forums possibly dates of import start ... but thats all - as I object to marketing and advertising on these forums from others ... this particular instant was prompted by my inside knowledge of some tactics by builders etc.

Maybe we can pit my boat against your Match ??