Rescue me… lovely old National 12

Firefly2005

Visit site
I am now the proud owner of a National 12 - Rapscallion No 1137 made by Jack Holt in 1953. Birch plywood (separated badly - unsure if this can be reglued?)

I’m aware she’ll be tippy and twitchy - going to start teaching my kids to sail in her this summer hopefully. Will be v cautious initially. Wanted something old, light enough to lift, that would be fun as my kids get better, and something cheap as an initial outlay. I learnt that very fancy looking tideway 12s at high cost can still be rotten!

Acquired her for free and all the kit is there and seems functional - not rigged her yet.

Is there anyone within a reasonable range of Halifax who knows what they’re doing in terms of maintenance and repair who can help.

I do have a budget to get her fixed up.

Has an old functional looking repair to a fair few of the ribs and a scarfed in plank. 2 cracked ribs.

What I want is the boat to be functional and safe and not deteriorate - not a multi-thousands restoration.

Thoughts appreciated and nice to meet you. Will be here a bit I think!

Attachments

• IMG_6713.jpeg
    IMG_6713.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6718.jpeg
    IMG_6718.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6701.jpeg
    IMG_6701.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6691.jpeg
    IMG_6691.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6690.jpeg
    IMG_6690.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6695.jpeg
    IMG_6695.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 39

wombat88

Visit site
Get onto the CVRDA FB forum (website is a bit quiet) I had N672 until quite recently, also a Holt. It is ribbed so the planks won't be glued I think (???), bet it is very, very dry.

12 Boat Search

Firefly2005

Visit site
She is very dry! Trying to keep her that way until I’ve stripped and revarnished her!

Joined the Facebook group, thanks for the advice

Habebty

Visit site
I started sailing in a Chippendale N12 (1395) Very tippy but fast. I soon learnt the importance of keeping the buoyancy bags tight! Would love to have kept it and restored it though.

oldbloke

Visit site
Don't use paint stripper, especially on the inside. It will get between the planks and under the ribs, you'll never get rid of it and will ruin your paint.Depending on how perfect a job you ant to make of it , a fierce pressure washing will shift a lot of stuff that needs shifting, especially in and around the ribs.
In addition to the Cvdra , the National 12 class has a section who are into their old 12s particularly so up north.

oldbloke

Visit site
Re cracked ribs..... epoxy
Re separated ply ..... epoxy. Will need to find a way of compressing the ply once you have soaked it

oldbloke

Visit site
Re tippiness. If its too windy or , especially, too gusty don't go out. Much better to learn in a responsive boat than some old bathtub (or even worse a Skipper 14) which won't teach you anything

Keith 66

Visit site
If the plywood planking is suffering from local surface checking you may be able to epoxy it. If its general delamination all over dont bother as there is nothing you can do except waste epoxy, money & time. If its that bad burn it.