Requirement to send foreign passport when applying for new UK passport

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
My partner"s application to renew her UK passport has been held up by the demand she send her Irish passport to them, ostensibly to check that the name on it is the same.

Since when has this been necessary, and how did they even know she had one?

And if they DO know she has one, surely they must know the name on it?

It seems to be impossible to speak to anyone definitively about this. We are worried that the Irish passport will go missing.

Has any other dual passport holder got any experience of this?

- W

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
My partner"s application to renew her UK passport has been held up by the demand she send her Irish passport to them, ostensibly to check that the name on it is the same.

It seems to be impossible to speak to anyone definitively about this. We are worried that the Irish passport will go missing.

- W
Yes, exactly the same issue. I didn't send my other passport as for me I still needed it for work travel. No problems, UK one turned up not long after

Visit site
My son renewed his last month online from the Balkans, had to photocopy every page of his other passport and send the British passport to Belfast office. New one turned up in less than 3 weeks. When you apply online it does ask if you have another passport from a different country.

PlanB

Visit site
I have today seen a government statement that you should allow 10 weeks for a new passport to be issued, and that it may take two weeks for any supporting information to be returned.
I also know someone who had to apply by post to renew his UK driving licence, sending in his Italian passport as identity, and has not yet got his passport back four weeks after sending.
And, just out of interest, I applied online on 24 Feb to renew my licence and got it in the post yesterday.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
My son renewed his last month online from the Balkans, had to photocopy every page of his other passport and send the British passport to Belfast office. New one turned up in less than 3 weeks. When you apply online it does ask if you have another passport from a different country.

Seems you can only send a copy if you are applying from outside the UK

- W

syvictoria

Visit site
Seems you can only send a copy if you are applying from outside the UK

- W

Is there no option to use a local passport office to do the processing required? I noticed the other day that there are now 'Passport Office' signs at our local council offices. I have no idea what they do there, but it would perhaps be worth a visit to see if they could help were I in your situation.

Laser310

Visit site
I sent my US passport from the US to the UK with the application.

I'm not 100% sure, but i think I got my US passport back before I got the UK passport.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Is there no option to use a local passport office to do the processing required? I noticed the other day that there are now 'Passport Office' signs at our local council offices. I have no idea what they do there, but it would perhaps be worth a visit to see if they could help were I in your situation.

Once you have started a digital online application there is no way to upgrade it to Fasttrack or Premium service unless you cancel the current application, in which case you may still have to wait weeks to get your old passport back.

- W

Laser310

Visit site
ostensibly to check that the name on it is the same.

I had to legally change my name!

My UK birth certificate did not have a middle name.., but my US passport did...

The UK passport agency required me to change my name so that my legal name had the middle name. They refused to issue a passport in the name on my UK birth certificate when I had a US passport with a middle name.

roblpm

Visit site

- W

Hmmmm. I wonder how they know? Anyone?

I am UK/US citizen and neither really knows about the other apart from the IRS when I file my US taxes. Actually even the IRS don't have my UK passport number I think.

Weird.

Laser310

Visit site
Hmmmm. I wonder how they know? Anyone?

I am UK/US citizen and neither really knows about the other apart from the IRS when I file my US taxes. Actually even the IRS don't have my UK passport number I think.

Weird.

i think the UK passport application asks if you have any other passports.

if you do they want to see it

i just renewed my US passport, and they didn't ask about any other passports

syvictoria

Visit site
Just out of curiosity (and not to start any great debate), is the UK's interest in other passports new, does anyone know? (I.e.: post-B?) Do [insert EU country]'s passport office want to know about your British passport when you renew?

roblpm

Visit site
i think the UK passport application asks if you have any other passports.

if you do they want to see it

i just renewed my US passport, and they didn't ask about any other passports

Aha maybe I said no! ? I can't remember. I wonder why it is their business?!

This says it is legal. And doesn't say its legal but you have to give us all your details.

Dual citizenship.

roblpm

Visit site
Just out of curiosity (and not to start any great debate), is the UK's interest in other passports new, does anyone know? (I.e.: post-B?) Do [insert EU country]'s passport office want to know about your British passport when you renew?
Yes I wonder. As in my post above I don't remember lying the last time I applied for a UK passport. I wonder if this is new. And legal! In my day job I argue with a particular government department which invents rules that are not laws.

Hoolie

Visit site
I recently renewed my UK passport and decided not to risk the indeterminate delay. It's a lot more expensive (x2?) but I used the express online service through the London office. All done and dusted in less than a week - somebody picked it up for me with a letter of authorization.

But I don't know whether it would be so straightforward with a second foreign passport to process as well.