Report o brief visit to view Gibsea 28

Wansworth

Visit site
The boat was afloat.Although it was the lifting keel version the owners friend and sort of agent confessed he never raised the centreboard.

Areas that needed attention according to the “agent”

lazy jacks and mainsail bag need new zip

Spayhood leaked water through material?.I t was sunny so couldn’t test that.

Leaks…a canvas partially cover coach roof to stop leaks I was informed but down below the entire paperwork of the boat was sodden so water was getting in,likely cause was the windows. And a small opening aluminum hatch

Decks…..had been painted and the paint was lifting,flaking

Locker hatch needed new hinge

The Agent has offered a trial sail in September when he gets back from yachting in the Med….the owner after installing new engine has just decided he want to sell.

The engine …a26 hp Sole started well and sounded good ,three batteries and access to the fuel tank which I liked!

General impressing was a nice boat been badly let go.

Thoughts……Although only cosmetic howto removeflaking deck paint,does canvas restorer seal leaking canvas spayhood

In September agent returns so opportunity for a trial sail and closer inspection of lifting keel

Any comments gratefully received🙂

sarabande

Visit site
Run. If the agent is returning in September, that's the time a lot of boats will arrive on the market. Too many fiddly and time consuming things wrong, both small and large, have been discovered by your own checking.

Wansworth

Visit site
Run. If the agent is returning in September, that's the time a lot of boats will arrive on the market. Too many fiddly and time consuming things wrong, both small and large, have been discovered by your own checking.
Yes,initial though but am fool enough to want to have another look and with a trial sail offered…..what’s to loose!

Wansworth

Visit site
Sounds like a lot of work which you don't want.
Yes,although hoping some one would suggest how to retreat the decks,They are asking 11,000euros……as is I might offer 8 subject to further investigation on my part .The boat is useable and I can berth her in my wife’s village/ town marina just down the ria

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Yes,although hoping some one would suggest how to retreat the decks,They are asking 11,000euros……as is I might offer 8 subject to further investigation on my part .The boat is useable and I can berth her in my wife’s village/ town marina just down the ria
If the deck paint is flaking it needs sanding back then refinishing with whatever you choose but like all paint / varnish jobs the key is in the preparation and that is time consuming and something not to be skipped. The water leaks are going to need to be defined and fixed before anything though and after September isn't going to be the best time to do that although it will give you an indication of where they are coming from.

Wansworth

Visit site
If the deck paint is flaking it needs sanding back then refinishing with whatever you choose but like all paint / varnish jobs the key is in the preparation and that is time consuming and something not to be skipped. The water leaks are going to need to be defined and fixed before anything though and after September isn't going to be the best time to do that although it will give you an indication of where they are coming from.
As the boat would be moored and liveable being handy to attend wife land(cutting ferns and grass ) I could do at bit at a time,as long as the boat was sailable no real rush

Supertramp

Visit site
I would be more worried about the keel. If the owner didn't lift it then it's probably rusted in place. Sorting that will be difficult. 8000 euros sounds like a lot despite a good engine.

I agree that sorting cosmetics, painting decks and other easy jobs can be enjoyable especially when you live nearby and the sun shines a lot.

Wansworth

Visit site
I would be more worried about the keel. If the owner didn't lift it then it's probably rusted in place. Sorting that will be difficult. 8000 euros sounds like a lot despite a good engine.

I agree that sorting cosmetics, painting decks and other easy jobs can be enjoyable especially when you live nearby and the sun shines a lot.
Yes,on the trial sail I would expect the keel to be raised and lowered …..a definite no,no if not funtioning

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Yes your right,but finding one in Galicia could be a problem
Don't forget that by the time you own that heap of trouble it will be well into Autumn, rain every day so working on it fixing leaks and certainly the deck paint isn't going to be viable. There's a reason the keel wasn't lifted when you viewed it, it won't raise.

Wansworth

Visit site
Don't forget that by the time you own that heap of trouble it will be well into Autumn, rain every day so working on it fixing leaks and certainly the deck paint isn't going to be viable. There's a reason the keel wasn't lifted when you viewed it, it won't raise.
Are you trying to put me off🤔😂…..going to view another boat in Coruna on Thursday,slightly smaller same price